News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6000 or 8000 RPM????

Started by DrkHorse66, November 01, 2007, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrkHorse66

My '71 R/T didn't have a factort tach.I've got 2 different one's to put in it.A 6000 RPM & an 8000 RPM.Which one would be correct for a '71 B/Body B/B?Also....Is the structure under a '71/72 Charger "flat"hood the same as the stucture underneath a "Power Bulge","RamCharger" or "Louvered"hood with the exception of the center of it? The reason I ask is...My "RamCharger" hood has some rust on the outer,D/S,edge.I was curious if I could use a flat hood,since they are fairly cheap,as a donar and cut about an inch off of it's edge then mig weld onto the "RamCharger".

Thank's.

Bandit72

i seem to recall the 6k being original and 8k being a reproduction....but i may be mistaken (and usually am)   if you don't end up using the 8k one i may be interested in buying it from you though!
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Charger74

7k is correct for 3rd gen Rallye gauges.  All aftermarkets are 8k tachs.

Ghoste

Does anyone know why that is exactly?

DrkHorse66

Thank's for your replie's.I wasn't sure about the tach."Charger '74" mentioned it being a "7K".I had stated that it was a "6K".But I may be wrong.It may be a "7K".It's put away in storage and I havn't seen it in a while.I had a '72 R/R,340-4spd.car,in high school that had an "8000 RPM" tach in it.This was in '85.I bought it from the original owner and thought the tach was factory.But it could have have had been replaced at some point I suppose.The back side had a Chrysler part #. as best I can remember.I was younger and into street racing.This stuff wasn't as rare then so I traded it for a big "Moroso"(I think) aftermarket tach.Wish I had the original one back.I don't think the "Moroso" ever increased in value.
  Anyway...as a foot note to the last post.I had been told,at one time,that the higher RPM tach's were for S/B car's as they rev higher,or you tend to rev them higher,in shift's.And the lower RPM tach's were designated for the B'B car's.I'm not stating this as fact...only as what I've heard over the year's.I may have opened a can of worm's here.Anyone know anything about this? I'd like to know the difference my self and also if,as "Charger '74" mentioned...one is indeed an aftermarket.

P.S...Any opinion's on my question about the hood?.....Hello????.....Anybody.........?
                                                                                                                                              Thank's again for all of your replie's.

Nacho-RT74

7K originals, 8K repros.

I have to detail the frames between bulged and standart hoods. I think they are the same no matter the year being just the skin the difference, but not sure.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

DrkHorse66

How about the top side? Say....about 2-3 inches in from the edge.The actual skin itself.It would be the same in that area also...wouldn't it? I need a section of good metal approx. 6 inches long by,approx.,2 inchs deep to splice in to the D/S edge of my "RamCharger".It's got some rust in that area.Would a 73-74 hood work for the donar metal? Are the inner frame's hard to remove from the outer skin?
                                                                                                                                  Thank's.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: DrkHorse66 on November 04, 2007, 11:47:03 PM

Would a 73-74 hood work for the donar metal?

definitelly yes. If some diff is starting to appear between the standart and bulged hood getting close to the bulged area, I don't think will be hard to give shape

Quote from: DrkHorse66 on November 04, 2007, 11:47:03 PM

Are the inner frame's hard to remove from the outer skin?

with patiente everything is posible
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

DrkHorse66

Thank's for that information.I should be able to locate a 73/74 hood considerably easier than locating a 71/72.Very helpful!

mikesbbody

drkhorse66, i have heard of guy's doing the hood modification you mentioned.
Also if possible how about some pics of your 71 rt?