News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'06 Sedan: here come the reviews...

Started by Brock Samson, July 25, 2005, 03:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

I'm posting this on off topic because the '06 isn't really the core concern of the members here, but we were hoping for a "worthy successor" to our beloved hardtop...

I'm not sure why it's taken so long for the mags to publish their reviews of the sedan, since it first stuck it's blunt front end out at the end of last year, but they are here now and I've read a couple,..

First up, is Car and Driver's road test of the R/T with the R/T option (?)   in the August issue which has a review by John Phillips who compares the LX trio to the Three Musketeers as DCXs' "own trio of worthy Swordsmen"...
Some time is spent here taking aim at the new sedan's styling lack of continuity with the previous models. "If you recognise "ANY" familiar styling cues, give us a shout".
other high points of the article include,.. a complete breakdown of the five different equipment levels from the "bottom feeder's" $ 22,295 for the SE. (Funny that logo used to denote the high-line lexo version.) to the fourth level's Daytona @ $32,495. which is interestingly refered to in the article as "demonstrating to passing constables that you are a person of limited judgment and excess cash". (no price is given for the top of the line SRT-8, which in my opinion is the sedan to have.)
C and D's road test praises the ride on the road and track giving it higher marks then either the magnum or 300 C, noting the balance and steering and general neutrality, brake feel is "Terrific" with a 169 foot stopping distance from 70 MPH. (Note: my 300 M does the same feat in 120 feet.) which they say is good for a two ton anything.. fact is guys this new version weighs 4,446 lbs.. (!!!) I was disappointed by this over obviously overweight sedan at the beginning and now it turns out to be roughly 400 LBS more then I suspected!!! at a few points in the article and sidebar written by other editors the weight is criticised,.. One great quote says it best... Dave Vanderwerp says "Why do the Magnum, 300 and Charger all have to be family haulers?"
  One other major criticism is the interior which they say is "Dour and Cheap" and poor sightlines "Almost everyone carped about the funeral black and gray cheapened by rock hard armrests and crinkly dashboard more at home in mud-spattered Dakota" After my test drive,I couldn't have said it better myself.
  In the graphs the sedan is compared to the Toyota Avalon, Pontiac Bonneville and ford crown Vic. seems to me back in the day our B-body's were not compared to Galaxies, Bonneville's and Toyota's... that's gotta tell ya something right there..
  Considerable ink is spent praising the (old) Mercedes derived components from the steering rack to the turn signal stalk and the auto tranny with autostick.
I would highly recommend reading this review to get an/the experts opinions, most all of which mirrored my observations.
They sum the car up by saying .. "The Charger R/T is what to get is your spouse says a Mustang is too impractical".

I also got the new Road & Track who's short take is only a few un-wowed and non-committal paragraphs, one of which once again compares the sedans' looks to the mid '50 Chevy Bel Air.. i'll post on that later in this same thread...right now, lunch   :icon_smile_big: awaits..

RD

Quote from: Stratocharger on July 25, 2005, 03:45:27 PM
One great quote says it best... Dave Vanderwerp says "Why do the Magnum, 300 and Charger all have to be family haulers?"

that about sums it up in my book.  i test drove the 300, magnum and charger and well, i was thinking the same damn thing.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

andy74

psykicpup

Quote from: Stratocharger on July 25, 2005, 03:45:27 PM
I'm posting this on off topic because the '06 isn't really the core concern of the members here, but we were hoping for a "worthy successor" to our beloved hardtop...

Ummm this is 'General Discussion' Strat  ;D

Great review though - Thanks for posting

:icon_smile_big:
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Brock Samson

It's now here in gen disc. cause Troy moved it here...   ;)

I realize some folks don't give a hoot, and they don't have to read what they don't want too...   :icon_smile_approve:

In fact, response to this thread and the LXs in general (lee) don't warrent my continuing to bring you the related articles I find...

too bad, i thought i was helping...   :scope:

Charge It!

I thought it was an interesting article.

psykicpup

Quote from: Stratocharger on July 26, 2005, 01:16:44 PM
It's now here in gen disc. cause Troy moved it here...   ;)

I realize some fokls don't give a hoot, and they don't have to read what they don't want too...   :icon_smile_approve:

In fact, response to this thread and the LXs in general (lee) don't warrent my continuing to bring you the related articles I find...

too bad, i thought i was helping...   :scope:

Didn't mean to offend you Strat ..I'm Sorry..didnt realise it had been moved.  :(

Did mean what I said though, It is an interresting article :icon_smile:
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Brock Samson

It's O.K. Pupp, I'm sorry I offended Andy, and I promise to never never do it again.. :'(