News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which 426 "Hemi" Head's.......?

Started by DrkHorse66, November 11, 2007, 11:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrkHorse66

I'm looking to purchase aset of 426 head's in the next couple month's.I'm not looking for originality.I'm considering going with aluminum.What would be the advantage's of aluminum over stock beside's weight saving's?And most importantly.....What would be the "best" aluminum head (Performance,manufacturer,price,availability,etc.)? I've seen bare aluminum one's advertised for $999.00 each.I don't want or need anything exotic that cost's huge amount's to build.Just a good set that,with the internal's I got,can get me 650/750 HP.
                                                                                                                  Any suggestion's?

daytonalo

Just built and sold a 472 11-1 with mopar stage 5 alum heads , engine was 600 hp . Unless your stroking the motor or 14-1 comp , your not going to get anywhere near that # . I just started my 528 -11-1 alum head Hemi , my target is 700 hp !

DrkHorse66

Thank's for the reply.I know 750HP. is some unrealistic but my actual target is at least 650 at a minimum without,hopefully,having to get into too much money.How much will a set of the Stage 5 head's,bare,run? Where can I get the best deal? Are these head's compataible with all external stock accessorie's,valve cover's? Who would you recommend for assembly that is really good with the Hemi engine's/head's?

daytonalo

I bought them from Mancini , 2 k for pair bare. I like alum heads for two reasons , weight loss , can run higher comp ratio without problem . Please inform me how you can get 650 hp from a 426 , 9.5 comp ?

DrkHorse66

The engine won't/isn't running anywhere near stock compression or internal's.I've assembled most of the internal ingredient's up to this point with the exception being the head's.That's why I asked the question's about the advantage's of aluminum VS.stock.You gave me the answer I needed most in that the aluminum matche's better with higher compression and weight saving's.Do these head's respond well to port & polish? I assume they do.

daytonalo

firefighter3931

If this motor is a stock stroke with 426 cubes you will see some power increases with a better flowing head...but i wouldn't be expecting a 426 running on pump gas to make that kind of power unless it had a very big cam and was spinning to 8k.  :Twocents:

Another member runs the aluminum heads on his 472 stroker hemi with a mild solid roller cam and it made in the 540-550hp range and runs on pump gas.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

from everything i have read there is only one good aluminum head for a Hemi and that's the stage v's. they flow alittle better out of the box then a set of MP aluminum ones.

the heads on my engine are indy irons and if i had to do it all over again i would have went with a set of stage v's but when i built my engine there wasn't much being said about aluminum heads except they leaked around the water passages. 

keepat

My 472 Hemi with aluminum mopar heads 10.25:1 comp make 711hp on pump gas! Stage V intake, cam and a ton of head work is where get the power!

firefighter3931

Quote from: keepat on November 14, 2007, 01:22:53 PM
My 472 Hemi with aluminum mopar heads 10.25:1 comp make 711hp on pump gas! Stage V intake, cam and a ton of head work is where get the power!

Any flow sheets on those heads ? Any dyno sheets ?

Curious about the RPM it made that power at and what the curve looks like. Also interested to see how much CFM it pulled at WOT.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

max

that's some serious hp on pump gas :2thumbs:

keepat

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 14, 2007, 02:22:12 PM

Curious about the RPM it made that power at and what the curve looks like. Also interested to see how much CFM it pulled at WOT.  ;)

Ron

No copy of the flow sheet on the heads. But here's one of the dyno pulls.

DrkHorse66

Thank you....."that's" the kind of information I was looking for when starting this discussion.Stage V head's-Check! 650-750 HP. possible without spending a million buck's-Yes/Check! That's what I was originally asking"Could I benefit from a set of really worked aluminum head's".Now I know that I can and I know the Stage V is a good one to go with.My comp. is 12.5:1.Thank you for the help.

daytonalo

keepat

Quote from: daytonalo on November 14, 2007, 05:04:17 PM
Who makes that rocker gear ???

It's all custom made for/by Ray Barton Racing, same set they use for up to 1500 hp Hemi's
Pat

daytonalo

daytonalo

Also , what kind of intake bolts are they ? Hex, stainless ??

Larry

keepat

Larry,

The complete rocker system, parts only cost $2,800 and the intake bolt are s/s by ARP
Pat

daytonalo

firefighter3931

Quote from: keepat on November 14, 2007, 02:58:12 PM

Ron

Nice power numbers Pat. The one thing that sticks out is the peak Torque numbers coming in so high...must be a very healthy cam. I'm assuming it's a roller with lots of duration ?

The Rocker gear look beautiful  :drool5:  Gawd...the top end hardware costs a fortune on those monsters.  :o

Ron

keepat

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 14, 2007, 09:57:39 PM
Quote from: keepat on November 14, 2007, 02:58:12 PM

Ron

Nice power numbers Pat. The one thing that sticks out is the peak Torque numbers coming in so high...must be a very healthy cam. I'm assuming it's a roller with lots of duration ?

The Rocker gear look beautiful  :drool5:  Gawd...the top end hardware costs a fortune on those monsters.  :o

Ron

Big and bumpy but it's not a roller. It takes all day to adjust the valves. :eek2:
Pat

firefighter3931

Quote from: keepat on November 14, 2007, 10:34:27 PM

Big and bumpy but it's not a roller. It takes all day to adjust the valves. :eek2:
Pat

That's really good power from a flat tappet stick !  :2thumbs:

Adjusting the valves is fun...especially on a beast like that.  ;)

Ron

daytonalo

max

Gawd...the top end hardware costs a fortune on those monsters.  :o

Ron

unfortunately the heads and rocker gear are the most expensive parts of a hemi. :yesnod:

Pat, that's a very sweet looking set up you have and excellent #'s to go along with it. :2thumbs:

this is sorta off topic but since there's a few hemi owners here. did any of you catch the price on the new MP repo 1966-1971 inline 2x4 intake?

they have lowered the price for $1000.00 to $399.00.  :scratchchin:

keepat

Quote from: max on November 15, 2007, 02:26:52 PM
Gawd...the top end hardware costs a fortune on those monsters.  :o

Ron

unfortunately the heads and rocker gear are the most expensive parts of a hemi. :yesnod:

Pat, that's a very sweet looking set up you have and excellent #'s to go along with it. :2thumbs:

this is sorta off topic but since there's a few hemi owners here. did any of you catch the price on the new MP repo 1966-1971 inline 2x4 intake?

they have lowered the price for $1000.00 to $399.00.  :scratchchin:

I almost use that intake as it is lower then the stage V intake and would fit under the hood without modifying the aircleaning, but not sure you can get the same HP numbers with the MP intake?
Pat