News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XS Weight Loss - 190 Pounds

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, November 13, 2007, 06:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29j8Bullitt

The subject of how I lost weight came up in a thread I have in the Aero Car forum about the upcoming restoration of my Charger 500.  I had posted a picture recently of me with the C500 and someone noticed that I looked a bit different than I did in a picture taken in the 1980s at a National Hemi Owners Association meet.  After I posted a picture of me taken many years ago, MagnumCharger asked me to 'fess up on how I did it... Soooo here goes...

In January of 2004 I started on a strict low calorie version of the Atkins Diet.  Although I lost a stunning 35 pounds the first month, the diet was very tough to stick to AND I was at a significant health risk due to an average daily calorie intake of less than 1200 calories.  I actually had big swings in blood pressure & ocassional vision problems... I was near starvation levels of calorie intake.  Remembering a co-worker who had a heart attack during a 500 calorie a day starvation diet, I went to a "modified" Atkins diet with a daily intake of about 1500 calories.  The diet continued to morph, and ended up most resembling the South Beach Diet from what I know about it...

The first month - lost 35 pounds

The first year - lost about 135 pounds

After nearly 3 years - lost 190 pounds

In the last year - up & down about 5 pounds from the "down 190" mark

Allen

Here is more information on what worked for me... CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR... Read my Disclaimer... Dieting can be dangerous, but so can not dieting...

DISCLAIMER:
I am NOT an expert on health or weight loss...  I am NOT a Doctor or Nutritionist... I have NO EXPERTISE on health or weight loss at all!
...BUT, I am someone who has been overweight all of his life and tried many diets offered by doctors & other experts
...With their help and my own lack of will & responsibility, my weight went from 200 pounds to over 400 pounds
...Starting in January 2004 I lost 190 pounds in 3 years
...BUT other than that, I am NOT an expert on health or weight loss...  I am NOT a Doctor or Nutritionist... I have NO EXPERTISE on health or weight loss at all!
...Above all, diet only under the care of a doctor, but select a good doctor!

Strategies & Other Opinions:

01) Avoid high-glysemic index foods (like white potatoes) that quickly raise the blood sugar level
02) Have 5-7 "mini-meals" a day instead of 3 larger meals (doesn't mean snacks)
03) Allow yourself 1-2 bigger "normal" meals per week (doesn't mean "pig-out" meals) to reward yourself for sticking to the plan the rest of the week
04) When very hungry and tempted to ditch the diet for that meal, have a small portion (200-300 calories) and wait about 20 minutes before eating more
05) AVOID fast food restaurants when possible (if not possible, limit damage by careful selection based on prior research)
06) Most restaurants will allow substitution for the worst offending side orders (avoid the places that won't allow substitutions)
07) Stay focused on your plan, ignore well meaning advice from friends & associates (go with what works for you)
08) Count calories. YOU HAVE TO!  But mainly to keep track of intake, not as a strict limit (better to take in 2200 cal/day for a year than 1800 cal/day for only a month)
09) If you know a big meal is planned in a few days, try to "bank" saved calories to offset
10) If you fall "off the wagon"... climb back on again & again... stopping the effort could reduce your enjoyment of life... or shorten it considerably
11) If one approach does not appear to be working after a few months, try another... and another (low-carb, low-fat, whatever works)
12) Be honest with yourself about your effort... don't pretend you are making a strong effort when you aren't... self delusion does not help
13) Set goals, but not necessarily time deadlines... if it took 20 years to put on the pounds, it is going to take more than 2 months to take them off...
14) Spice up bland foods like Broccoli & Cauliflower with a wide selection of seasonings (check ingredients, avoid excessive salt, etc)
15) Use other toppings like shredded cheese on occasion, but not excessively (try to slowly reduce the amount used over time)
16) Realize that the popular saying "it's a lifestyle change" is mostly true... its not a short term fix
17) Your metabolism will slow with age... it also will slow with a decrease in activity... it will sneak up on you... do something NOW !
18) AVOID diet drugs... anything that affects your metabolism or appetite will have other effects... remember Phen-Phen?!?
19) As mentioned earlier, make you personal doctor aware of your effort & have him/her monitor your health... a co-worker had a heart attack caused by a starvation diet... Watch out for any sign of trouble or health changes
20) Avoid "starvation diets"... the weight will drop, but so may you!...  Monitor yourself between doctor's visits... this is a serious stress to your body.
21) Keep track of your weight loss... put a chart of it on the fridge door!... And the pantry, Etc.
22) EXERCISE unless there is a compelling reason not to (laziness may be a reason, but it is not compelling)... talk to your doctor first!
23) Consider gastric bypass & other surgeries only as a last resort... many side effects & a significant mortality rate... a serious decision!
24) Eating out often makes dieting more difficult... if required for your job (like a sales rep), do your best to adapt your meal habits
25) With rare exceptions, avoid desserts & other calorie bombs like flour tortillas... No 800 calorie Blueberry muffins from Sam's Club!

Some helpful websites:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006
http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/gi_index.htm

Some items that have been helpful to me:

Splenda - The better tasting sugar substitute
Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat Bread - 50 calories per slice (other NO varieties also available in the 40-60 cal per slice range)
Kraft South Beach Diet Entrees - 260 to 320 calorie range approximately (other brands available as well)
Broccoli, Broccoli & Cauliflower, & similar frozen mixes - At about 125 calories per bag, a good meal substitute (top with cheese, spices, etc)
Crystal Lite - NutraSweet sweetened drink mix (lemonade & other flavors)
Pepsi One - Splenda sweetened soft drink (Coke also has a Splenda sweetened version)
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Ponch ®

I have to admit, I thought this was a spam thread.

But way to go, dude... :2thumbs:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 13, 2007, 06:46:53 PM
I have to admit, I thought this was a spam thread.

But way to go, dude... :2thumbs:

You are right... looks like a spam title!  :lol:

Here is the then & now picture MagnumCharger posted:

XS

Magnumcharger

Allen,
My respect for you has magnified!!
You are a sage, and a great human being. Thanks for posting all of the above.

Now, I just have to follow your example......!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

HITMAN 149

good job!!!!! :2thumbs: and miss texas there aint too bad either!!!  ;)
keep up the good work!!!!!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

bull

Awesome! Man, 190 is a lot to lose. Good job. I bet you feel way better.

Arthu®

Wow my respect! That must have been tough. But like Bull said you must feel a hell of a lot better though.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

HITMAN 149

yea... i bet it's like a whole new world.....
i'm down @30-35lbs the past 5-months or so... STRESS LOL from trying to study for my sgt's test i just took the end of oct!!!!
i promised my self.. that once the test was over & i went back to work.. that i would start hitting the gym again & keep it off the healthy way!!!!!  :pushup: LOL!!  it's amazing how much diff even a couple pounds can make!!!! your clothes are so much looser...you feel so much better.. and then it motivates you even more!!!!! especially in my profession....  you should be in decent physical shape!!! for your own survival!!!! ya never know when your gonna have to fight someone for your life!?!?!?!?
also who the hell is gonna listen to a fat cop!!! hahahahaha people don't listen to us as it is!!! LOL the we gotta take em down!!! hahahaha
:2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Old Moparz

Congrats.   :cheers:

My sister struggled with the weight loss when she was younger, so I know it isn't easy. She finally managed enough self discipline to follow through & lost about 80 pounds that year. Good job & good luck with maintaining it.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

TeeWJay426

Wow, congrats! 190 pounds is an entire person! I've got about 40 I'd like to get rid of myself... you just gave me some additional incentive!  :2thumbs:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

70charger_boy

Allen, Not only do you have a Mopar dream stable, but you were able to lose 190 lbs with alot of hard work.  The lazy generation would have just gone the Gastric Bypass route

Congrats!!!  Here is a light beer for you  :cheers:

moparstuart

great job allen   i wish i had your disipline

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

xs29j8Bullitt

Thanks everyone for the kind words!  I was hoping this thread and some of the opinions/methods that I listed would encourage others facing a serious weight problem to make a real effort.  Although I will try to answer any questions (in the thread or by PM), it is still a journey that someone has to make for themselves.

Waiting too long can have lasting effects... BAD effects like worn joints, heart problems like congestive heart failure, diabetes, etc.

Most of the damage can never be completely undone... improved yes, but not like the problem never was...

I addressed my problem just in time to avoid some of the more serious issues, but have to live with some like joint damage.

If I had only known at the age of 25 what I know now...

Below is a chart showing my weight loss during the first 22 months or so.  Each vertical line is a week, each horizontal line is 10 pounds.  The blue line is actual weight measurements, the other curves represent attempts to predict the weight loss.  As you can see, I could not even keep to the most conservative curve.  Also, notice how events affected the weight loss...

Allen

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Alan, that must have been a lot of work.....big  :2thumbs: for sticking with the program and following through.  :bow:

Your heart is thanking you each and every day.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

41husk

congrats!  I have lost 160 lbs over the last few years, with 1500-2000 calorie diet.  No matter how it is done it is still a very hard thing to do.  It has to be a life style change, not just a diet.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Moparmatty

Conrats Alan.  At 6'4" 350lbs I know where you were at.  Starting in the new year things are going to change.  What kind of exercise did you do to help with the diet?
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

JoeyGowdy

Great results :2thumbs: I'm also 6'4" and can definitely relate to that.

So has anyone else here tried Nutrisystem other than me?  I lost almost 100 lbs last year after ordering their food for 6 months... works well in my opinion.  If anyone is interested in joining just let me know... might can get you a discount or free week of food or something.
Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

Rack

Amazing job, Bullit.

I've been trying to drop some weight the last couple of months with ZERO results. I'm at 255, I go to the gym about 3 times a week and I do 1 hour on the elyptical (Or till I burn 1000 calories). My diet hasn't changed and eventhough I know I need to change my diet I was hoping/expecting to see at least some minimal results.

My problem comes at dinnertime. I do fine with breakfast and lunch, but I eat way too much (junk) at dinnertime. Been trying to force myself to eat "Lunch" type of foods at dinnertime to help out, but my discipline hasn't been good.

Magnumcharger

I thought this deserved a bump....considering I'm using Allen's example to loose my spare tire.
(And it's not a polyglas).

bull

Quote from: Rack on December 19, 2007, 02:38:54 AM
Amazing job, Bullit.

I've been trying to drop some weight the last couple of months with ZERO results. I'm at 255, I go to the gym about 3 times a week and I do 1 hour on the elyptical (Or till I burn 1000 calories). My diet hasn't changed and eventhough I know I need to change my diet I was hoping/expecting to see at least some minimal results.

My problem comes at dinnertime. I do fine with breakfast and lunch, but I eat way too much (junk) at dinnertime. Been trying to force myself to eat "Lunch" type of foods at dinnertime to help out, but my discipline hasn't been good.

I know this is an old post to reply to but I think it deserves one. I found during my weight loss that diet change is at least half the battle. I say "at least half" because in my experience I think it's more like 70/30, as in diet change is more vital to losing weight than exercise. Exercise is good but I don't think it's as important to weight loss as it is to overall health. Exercise gets you in shape (better phsical stamina), increases circulation, burns calories, improves your sex life, promotes healthy bones and organs, etc., but it's diet changes that really make a difference. I cut my daily calorie intake to 2,500 or below to lose weight and I lost 70 lbs. in about 8 months. Of course I did greatly increase my phsical activity during that time but I actually lost most of that weight before I started riding my bike to and from work. Prior to that all I did was walking.

Magnumcharger

When on dodgecharger.com, I try to type at least three lines a day.
The amount of activity generated by my index finger would probably be suffice to burn off at least 10-15 calories.
I've also reduced the amount of pork rinds I consume in a day down to two bags. And I've reduced my sugar intake by half. I now put only six tablespoons of sugar in each cup of coffee, and I've stopped sugaring my diet Pepsi.

I only eat at fast food joints twice a day now, and I've been working on emulating Jarrod at Subway, by eating 12 inch Italian BMC subs exclusively.

Seriously though, all of the above is bullshit. :2thumbs:

Mike DC

Good job. 

Just losing 40 pounds is no joke.  Losing 190 and keeping it off long-term?  Unreal. 

Modern food is tantamount to a souped-up drug when it comes to putting on weight.  And once it's there, the human body is designed to fight tooth & nail against losing it every step of the way.