News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Rear seat to get at side panels

Started by john108, November 23, 2007, 07:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

Hi
To start with, I am trying to remove the exterior trim along the rear seat side window.  I understand that the interior side panel has to be removed.  To remove that panel, I was told that the rear seat back must come out.  To remove that, the rear seat has to come out.
Now I have read previous posts discussing removing the rear seat and pictures were included. 

The instructions say to push in on the front edge, half-way from the hump and the outside edge, then pull up and out.  I have tried this from every position I could twist my body into and couldn't get it to budge.    Is there something that I am missing?  I am thinking of using a hydraulic jack, but I expect it will cause damage.
Some of you are exceptionally strong or I am not.  You are welcome to stop by and show me how easy it is.
Any additional suggestions, please?????

John

histoy

If you have the front seat out of the car, you might be able to brace yourself and use your foot against the front of the seat to push it back.    That's worked for me in the past on some stubborn seats.  Leg muscles are stronger than arm muscles.

UFO

Sometimes it helps to push down at the rear of cushion to make sure its going under the back rest.
When your pushing the cushion back try to get as low as possible to push on the frame work and not just the padding.

69_500

I've always had the best luck, by just popping it with my knee while pushing down on the back half of the seat. Even with front seats still in, you can do it by kneeling in the rear floorboard, stradling the center console if so equiped. Push down on the rear portion of the seat, and gently pop the center portion with your knee's.

john108

Thank you for your recommendations.  Being I am trying to remove outside trim, I wasn't prepared to disassemble the interior. 
I agree that if the front seats were out, it should be easier.  I will try to get my wife to help me tomorrow.  She can push where needed and I will try to knee, push, and lift per the suggestions.  My previous attempts only resulted in me getting tired.
Thank you again,
John

Sixt8Chrgr

Find the steel lower frame for the seat and push that toward the back of the car. Are the seat belts pushed between the back seat and the bottom seat? If so pull them out, and push. Don't use a jack you will for sure tear something up. The seat can be difficult but you will get it.

Good Luck

john108

We both tried today.  My wife stood/kneeled on the back of the seat.  I pushed, bounced into it with a pushing-lifting motion, and only heard some click sounds and the seat laughing at me.
I am still thinking of putting a 2x4 across the front seat supports and a 2x6 across the forward facing surface of half of the rear seat, and find a small jack.  I am worried about damage.  I may struggle a few more times before trying my last resort unless I can get my governor (Arnold S.) to help.
John

Hemidog

Something is definitely wrong with my rear seat, it's loose, and i can just lift it right out... :icon_smile_blackeye:

Just 6T9 CHGR

The "knee-kick" method usually works for me as well.  Think of a carpet layer.  I usually grab the frame with both hands & pull up as I kick the frame back with my knee....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

If its still not out and you haven't taken a chainsaw to it.How about this trick,Use a mirror and a trouble light to look underneath(its like looking through a mailbox slot).Maybe someone modified,bolted,wired,etc the bottom in place.

john108

I tried a small mirror and a dental type mirror.  Could see very little.  Just behind the front edge of the seat, the floor bumps up about an inch and blocks the mail slot.  I could see a bracket about a foot in from the side.  It appears to come down from the seat and bends aft.  I checked under the car and did not find any corresponding bolts or nuts in that location.  I do have a chain saw but no plans to use it, yet.

When looking under the car, I did see the 4 nuts to remove the front seat.

I tried lifting and knee bumps.  I used a piece of carpet to protect my knee, it didn't help.  I finally stopped limping.
Alternate, remove the front seat to provide room to move.

I am still thinking about the hydraulic jack (placed between the front seat brackets and the rear seat botton front rail, with 2x4's placed along each surface).

John

bordin34

I took the seat out of my 73 yesterday it isn't that hard. Brace and push back as far as you can and while still pushing lift it, it should pop right out. Getting it back in is the hard part.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

john108

I will try again tomorrow.
There is very little room with the front seats in place.
In '68, I was fairly strong.  I guess, not now.

DO YOU GRAB BOTH SIDES OF THE HUMP AT THE SAME TIME?

John

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: john108 on November 25, 2007, 09:03:04 PM

DO YOU GRAB BOTH SIDES OF THE HUMP AT THE SAME TIME?

John
No, just the side you are kneeing on.....drivers or passengers

Looking at this pic you posted (which is looking at the hook from a side perspective---the tall flat portion is actually facing you if you were looking toward the rear of the car) you can kind of see the motion you need to remove it....remember carpet layer.... ;)

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Further explanation of where you need to look for this hook in relation to the seat bottom...see pics

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

john108

So, the hook is just to the outside of the brachet I saw.
I was fighting it too close to the hump.
Thank you
I will try again tomorrow.
John

john108

Chris

Your pictures were very valuable.  They showed exactly where to push.  I tried physically with no luck.
BUT:  the outer bracket of the front seat appeared to line up with the exact place to push on the rear seat.
I put a block of wood against that bracket and one opposite it on the rear seat bottom frame.  The hydraulic jack placed between the two blocks, with very little force, poped the seat loose.  No damage!  2-minutes per side! 

Thank you again, very much.

John

Just 6T9 CHGR

Excellent!  glad we could help!

Now get those panels off!  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

Glad it came apart.Did you find the broadcast sheet stuck in the springs?

john108

UFO
I don't know what a broadcast sheet looks like.
But, there is a metal band, about 1/4 inch wide that is wrapped between 2 adjacent springs.  There is a sequence on numbers on it (pointing up) and the 2 ends are inserted into some type on seal.  It would take some effort to rotate the band to be able to read it, if at all possible.  I have the seat sitting on the roof of the car and didn't try too hard to rotate it.
John

Just 6T9 CHGR

The Broadcast Sheet is the birth certificate of your car.  Basically shows all the options that the car had originally when it was built....
Sometimes its on the bottom part of the seat...sometimes the back part looking like this....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

Chris , Thanks for answering the question for me.

john108

Yes - The broadcast sheet was in the back of the back seat back-rest.  It feels as delicate as tissue paper and very brittle.  The springs left creases and rust marks on it.  The form (blue print) is easy to read but the data filled in is so poor that I am not sure I can read much of it.  I plan on scanning it first before I try to examine it under magnification.
John