News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

80's bands-flash in the pans

Started by 69CoronetRT, November 28, 2007, 12:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69CoronetRT

The thread on Kevin DuBrow got me thinking about other one or two hit wonders from the 80's metal era.

Who were some of the flash in the pans, and their songs, you remember?

Accept-Balls to the Walls
Ratt- Round and Round
Zebra- Tell me what you want
Vixen-Edge of a Broken Heart

Dig deep inside that 80's clouded memory. One hit wonders only please.....
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Todd Wilson

I dont think Ratt fits in this category.

Todd

71ChallengeHer

remta1

Accept .... midnight mover , cool video

bull

Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands to Yourself
Autograph - Turn Up The Radio
Scandal - the Warrior
Y&T - Summer Time Girls
Fastway - every song
Nu Shooz
Europe - The Final Countdown
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

nh_mopar_fan

Scandal had more than 1 hit.

The Warrior comes to mind immediately and I think there were more.

hemihead

The 80's seemed to be full of one hitters. Not only Metal bands but all the sorry Pop bands.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

nh_mopar_fan

The 70s had their full share of 1-hit wonders. I don't think the 80s were unique.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 28, 2007, 12:59:15 AM

Todd

They don't. They had over 10 big hits. Buy the cd "Ratt and Roll 8191" by them. Its is a "best of" cd All of those were on the radio here.
Vixen doesn't belong on this list either. They broke up after their second album, but both albums had about 4 hits each (I own both). Still played on the radio here.

Accept - They only were one hit wonders here in the U.S., but they have over 10/15 albums out and a big following.
Zebra - Your right one these guys. "Who's Behind The Door" Was the other hit

Curtis, I don't think Survivor belongs on this list. They were huge in the early '80s with many hits, at least 10.
Y&T doesn't belong here either. Some of their hits were, "Summer Time Girls" "Contagious", "Don't Be afaid of the Dark", "Mean Streak", "Down And Dirty" are all hits.

Georgia Satellites - Keep Your Hands to Yourself (agree)
Autograph - Turn Up The Radio (Agree even though one of the favorite bands with 4 albums)
Scandal - the Warrior (agree)
Fastway - every song ( Agree - Don't know that song, I know "Say What You Will")
Nu Shooz (agree)
Europe - The Final Countdown (agree)

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

BMOTOXSTAR

You guys are all way off. Europe had more than on hit(Cherokee), so did Fastway (Easy Livin') Ratt, etc... Y&T (on & on) etc...  :rotz: :rotz:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

twilt

Despite not having any big hits after the first album, Zebra did continue to make excellent music. 3.v is one of my favorite albums/cds. They also did release a new CD about 3 years ago that I liked. I saw them in concert
3 times from 84-86 and they were great every time.  Did real good Zep covers as encores.   

bull

Maybe I need a definition of the word hit, I mean are we talking top ten or top 100? I was obviously going by memory from what I heard on the radio and MTV back then. Is there a historic 80s top ten hit list out there somewhere? I saw a list on wikipedia last night and pulled two bands off that list that I remember from the 80s.

BTW, do you guys remember Loudness? Sort of a wannabe metal hair band from Japan. They weren't too shabby.

TruckDriver

I tend to like "One hit wonders" so here are a few in my cd collection All are rock or hard rock & metal by the way. And I did add some early '90s bands as '80s music still was the early '90s style of music.

21 Guns - "These Eyes" (1991) (I listed as one of the members was in Thin Lizzy)
Faith No More - "Epic" and now the Theme from The Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs, a song called - "We Care A Lot"
Roxy Blue - "Luv On Me"
Southgang - "Tainted Angel" & "Tug Of War"
Mr. Big - "Just Take My Heart" & "CDFF-Lucky This Time", "Green Tinted Sixties Mind"
Arcade with 1 big album which included - "Cry No More", "Never Goin' Home", "Messed Up World", "Nothin' To Lose"
Black N' Blue - "Hold On To 18" (Great Band though with Tommy Thayer now in Kiss, just never got the radio play)
E.L.P. - "Touch And Go"
Frank Marino - "Strange Dreams"
The Hunger - "Vanishing Cream"
The Sherbs - "We Ride Tonight"
Axe - "Rock And Roll Party In The Streets" (this band is really good too, have 6 albums)
Blackeyed Susan (ex-Britny Fox in the '80s) - "She's So Fine" (1991)
Britny Fox - "Girl School" & "Dream On" (5 cds though of awsome rock)
Paul Dean(of Loverboy) - "Sword And Stone" (1989)
Dirty Looks - "Let It Rain" & "Five Easy Pieces" (1992)(these guys have a lot of albums and just put out a new album too - sound a bit like AC/DC)
Duke Jupiter - "Have A Drink On Me" & "Little Lady"
Flame - "Don't Look Down", "Shelter You" (only album I know of, but really good)(1992)
FM - "Tough It Out" (1989)
Robin George - "Heartline" (1984)
Giant - "I'm A Believer", "I'll See You In My Dreams", (1989) & "Stay" (1992) (These guys rock if you like 80s stuff. Have 4 cds, two from 2 or 3 years ago too).
Open Skyz - "Every Day Of My Life" (1993)
Orion The Hunter - "So You Ran" (1984) (has Brad Delp & Barry Goudreau on guitars and vocals. Very good album)
Saga - "On The Loose" (1982) (again, have a lot of albums, but Worlds Apart is the only one I know a song from)
Saints & Sinners - "Walk That Walk" & "Takin' My Chances" (1992) (Record lable went bankrupt right after the album release. Very awsome band that never had a chance)
Shy - "Break Down The Walls" (1988) (if you watched MTV back then, you will remember this song. These guys rock!)
Shy England - Give It All You Got (1990) (same band as above, little bit different name)
Spys - "Don't Run My Life" (1982)
The Storm - "I've Got A Lot To Learn About Love" (1991)
Trash - "Rock Me...Rock You!" (1983)(these guys rock, kind like Y&T meets Def Leppard).
Union (ex-BTO & Trooper members) - "On Strike" (1981)
Victory - "On The Loose" (1989), "Fighting Back The Tears" (1990) (Both power ballads) (Hard rock band from Germany, my second all time favorite rock band. Those two songs were played on the radio though here in the U.S.).
Wildside - "Just Another Night" (1992 - another hard rock band that fell to the whole "Ballads" syndrome)
Dave Edmunds - "Slipping Away" (1983)
The Four Horsemen -  "Nobody Said It Was Easy" & "Rockin' Is Ma' Business" (1991)
Jukebox Heros - "Mission" (1992)
Jim Capaldi - "Something So Strong" (1988)
Mitch Malloy - "Anything At All" (1992)
Andy Taylor - "I might Lie" (ex-Duran Duran, but hard rock)
Giuffria - "Call To The Heart" (1984) & "I Must Be Dreaming" (1985)
Riot - "Born In America" (1987)
Tora Tora - "Guilty" (1989)
Paul Carrack - "Don't Shead A Tear" (1987)
Martin Briley - "The Salt In My Tears" (1983)
Bad English - "Heaven Is A Four Letter Word" (1989) & "Rebel Say A Prayer" (1991)
Jon Butcher - "Don't Say Goodnight" (1984)
Sniff 'N' The Tears - "Drivers Seat" (1979)
RTZ - "There's Another Side" (1991) (Brad Delp on vocals/very good cd)
Schon & Hammer - "No More Lies" (1982) (featuring Neal Schon of Journey)
Beggars & Thieves - "Isn't It Easy" (1990)
Kix - "Don't Close Your Eyes" & "Cold Blood" (1988) & "Girl Money" (1991)
Tangier - "On The Line" (1989)
Whitecross - "Salt City" (1994/a Christian band that sounds like Ratt)
Trouble Tribe - "Tattoo" (1990)
Vandenburg - "Burning Heart" (1982)
Tyketto - "Forever Young" (1991)
Tattoo Rodeo - "Everybody Wants What She's Got" (1991)
Von Groove - "Once Is Not Enough" (1992)
Tall Stories - "Chain Of Love", "Crawling Back" (1991)
Tuff - "I Hate Kissing You Goodbye" (1991)
Brain May - "Driven By You" (1987)
Drive She Said - "Don't You Know"
Shadow King - "What Would It Take" (Lou Gram)
Heavens Edge - "Find Another Way" (1990)
Jimmy Davis & Jct. - "Kick The Wall" (1987)
Steve Earle - "Copphead Road" (1988)
Helix - "Does A Fool Ever Learn", "Heavy Metal Love", & "Rock You" (1989)
XYZ - "When I Find Love" (1991) (Power Ballad from a hard rock band)
House Of Lords - "Chains Of Love"
Aldo Nova - "Fantasy"
Hardline - "Rhythm From A Red Car", & "Hot Cherie" (1992)
Kane Roberts - "Twisted" & "Does Anybody Really Fall In Love Anymore" (1991 / played with Alice Cooper for a while)
Kick Axe - "Heavy Metal Schuffle" (1984) (the bands heavy metal was to early for the time. They do have 3 albums though, all good)
Planet P Project - "Static", "King For A Day" (1983) & "What I See" (1984)
Sleeze Beez - "Stranger Than Paradise" (1990)
Stage Dolls - "Still In Love" (1988)
Thunder - "Dirty Love" (1990) (They actually have a lot of albums and are still making them, but not popular in the U.S.. I have a bunch of stuff by them)
Van Zant - "I'm A Fighter" (1985) (Way before he went in Skynard and country)

These I only have on compolation disks, so I don't know the years they are from
Hurricane - "I'm On To You"
King's X - "Summerland"
Shotgun Messiah - "Heartbreak Blvd."
Streets - "Don't Look Back"
Billy Thorp - "Children Of The Sun"
Holland - "Gotta Run"
Lynch Mob - "River Of Love"
Every Mother's Nightmare - "Love Can Make You blind"
The Rods - "Let Them Eat Metal"
Electric Boys - "All Lips And Hips"
Taxxi - "I'm Leaving"
The Sherbs - "No Turning Back"
L.A. Guns - "Never Enough", & "The Ballad Of Jane"
Killer Dwarfs - "Dirty Weapons"
Love Hate - "Blackout In The Red Room"

Not a Band that's a One Hit Wonder, but anyone remember Uriah Heep's hit from 1982s Abominog album "That's The Way That It Is"? It's the only cd I liked by the band.

Another forgotten big band from the '80s is Shooting Star :yesnod:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on November 28, 2007, 09:02:54 AM
You guys are all way off. Europe had more than on hit(Cherokee), so did Fastway (Easy Livin') Ratt, etc... Y&T (on & on) etc...  :rotz: :rotz:

I only ever heard one song on the radio by Europe ( Here where I live anyway)
Same goes for Fastway (In fact, they still play "Say What You Will" every so often)

But you are very right about Ratt & Y&T.

Quote from: twilt on November 28, 2007, 09:55:04 AM
Despite not having any big hits after the first album, Zebra did continue to make excellent music. 3.v is one of my favorite albums/cds. They also did release a new CD about 3 years ago that I liked. I saw them in concert
3 times from 84-86 and they were great every time. Did real good Zep covers as encores.

You are right too

Quote from: bull on November 28, 2007, 11:25:55 AM
Maybe I need a definition of the word hit, I mean are we talking top ten or top 100? I was obviously going by memory from what I heard on the radio and MTV back then. Is there a historic 80s top ten hit list out there somewhere? I saw a list on wikipedia last night and pulled two bands off that list that I remember from the 80s.

BTW, do you guys remember Loudness? Sort of a wannabe metal hair band from Japan. They weren't too shabby.

In my big list, I listed songs that I heard a lot ( meaning about year on the radio)

I know of Loudness, I never liked anything they did though.
PETE

Brock Samson

what about "those are people who died"?.. by the jim carroll band, he/they ever have another played on the radio?..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqFLq9NWWQY

nh_mopar_fan

Shooting Star is still around i think.

That "Hang on to your life" album was really great.

I had the Sherbs album with "No Turning Back" on it. Lost it in the flooding in April.

I have the Jim Capaldi CD. He was a founding member of Traffic. He actually had a top 40 hit in 1983 "That's Love"

Here's one for ya: Box of Frogs. Former members of The Yardbirds reunion from 1984.

moparstuart

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on November 28, 2007, 12:20:27 PM
Shooting Star is still around i think.

That "Hang on to your life" album was really great.

I had the Sherbs album with "No Turning Back" on it. Lost it in the flooding in April.

I have the Jim Capaldi CD. He was a founding member of Traffic. He actually had a top 40 hit in 1983 "That's Love"

Here's one for ya: Box of Frogs. Former members of The Yardbirds reunion from 1984.
shooting star  is a local group here in kansas city so we here alot of  them on the radio
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on November 28, 2007, 08:47:30 AM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 28, 2007, 12:59:15 AM

Todd

They don't. They had over 10 big hits. Buy the cd "Ratt and Roll 8191" by them. Its is a "best of" cd All of those were on the radio here.
Vixen doesn't belong on this list either. They broke up after their second album, but both albums had about 4 hits each (I own both). Still played on the radio here.

AT one time I had all the RATT albums. If I dig around I could probably find them all. Seen them a couple of times back in the day. They had 2 smaller bands open up for them   Britney Fox and KIX. THose 2 bands may very well fit into this category. I really enjoyed KIX. They had several albums and were not really that well known except for their few songs that got played on the radio.

Todd

BMOTOXSTAR

Kix, LA Guns, Faster PussyCat, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Chastain,Dokken,Tokoyo Blade, WASP, Bullet Boys,Warrant, Razor,Tankard, Micahel Monroe,etc..... :musik010: :METAL:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Todd Wilson

The guy I miss from the 80's is Aldo Nova.  He had a few radio hits but all his albums I thought were good.  Out of all the bands I have seen I havent seen anyone play guitar like Ted Nugent but Aldo Nova was a close 2nd to Uncle Ted.

Todd

moparstuart

Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 28, 2007, 12:56:47 PM
The guy I miss from the 80's is Aldo Nova.  He had a few radio hits but all his albums I thought were good.  Out of all the bands I have seen I havent seen anyone play guitar like Ted Nugent but Aldo Nova was a close 2nd to Uncle Ted.

Todd

wang dang sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ponch ®

Damn...I can't believe someone beat me to the Electric Boys and Vandenberg.

If we're talking 80's hair metal, I guess I gotta throw in:

Bango Tango - "Love Injection"
Kix - "Don't close your eyes"
Keel - "The Right to Rock"
White Lion - "wait", "when the children cry"

Does Jackyl count as a "hair band'? I know technically they got well known at the tail end of the scene...just before Nirvana blew everyone out of the water (for better or worse) in the early 90's...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

twilt

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 28, 2007, 01:06:51 PM

...just before Nirvana blew everyone out of the water (for better or worse) in the early 90's...

worse

moparstuart

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 28, 2007, 01:06:51 PM
Damn...I can't believe someone beat me to the Electric Boys and Vandenberg.

If we're talking 80's hair metal, I guess I gotta throw in:

Bango Tango - "Love Injection"
Kix - "Don't close your eyes"
Keel - "The Right to Rock"
White Lion - "wait", "when the children cry"

Does Jackyl count as a "hair band'? I know technically they got well known at the tail end of the scene...just before Nirvana blew everyone out of the water (for better or worse) in the early 90's...

jackyl is still popular here and played on the radio all the time  ?  they play that chain saw song all the time

Brock Samson

yeah Aldo and zebra popp up from time to time on this site,..
I was lucky enough to catch Aldo Nova open for Gong of all bands back in the mid '80s really solid guitar playing, i agree.
some of these bands were local phenomenons or however you spell it...
earthquake for example... or ronnie montrose.
some bands were simply fantastic live but thier albums were dreadfull and sometimes it's the other way around..
The crowd around here tends to be a bit younger (then me) and into hair and glam stuff i never cared for, i lean towords the jazzy fusion bands from the coasts, and not so much country or southern rock. i had alot of metal bands though just because i was into firey guitar solos but usually the vocals turned me off.
i stopped listening to AM radio about 1970,..
  day before yesterday i put on the local (what passes for youth stations here) and was like floored by just how bad the stuff was. I can't possibly imagine listening to that crap. it was like torture. i could only manage about 15 minutes of scanning the stations, no one can play an insterment anymore i guess.
i had to put on some Coltrane to regain my sanity...
sorry for the rant.
Like you care..  :icon_smile_wink:

oh here's one..
  The tubes!

white punks on dope...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kP8nGNbk7oQ

how about romeo void, never say never...?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SHzLjRfgQqQ