News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Work benches. Show me what you got

Started by bull, November 30, 2007, 12:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

This is the only pic I could find of my work bench. Made it out of left over 2x4's and two pieces of 3/4" Advantech sheathing. I was going to top it with some 1/8" steel I found at work but when I went back to get the steel someone had already snagged it. It's 3' deep and 16' long, plenty of area to accumulate broken/worthless parts.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bull

And I see a couple DodgeCharger.com posters above it. :2thumbs:

Is 3' a good depth for you? That's the only qualm I have about using old kitchen counter tops; they aren't usually much deeper than about 2' I believe and I'd like something deeper.

rav440

Quote from: bull on December 01, 2007, 09:21:36 AM

Is 3' a good depth for you? That's the only qualm I have about using old kitchen counter tops; they aren't usually much deeper than about 2' I believe and I'd like something deeper.

32"- 36 " is a good depth anyless the bench is to confined , any more its a pain to reach for stuff unless your a giant or you make the to of the bench lower than 30"  :cheers:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

NHCharger

Quote from: bull on December 01, 2007, 09:21:36 AM

Good eyes.

As Rav said anything less tan 32" really doesn't give you room to work on some of the larger stuff.
If you want to make your own bench with formica just use a finish grade plywood and glue the formica onto the bench with contact cement.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bordin34

My workbench is a sheet of plywood painted blue with foldable table legs on it.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

keepat

I had a friend who works with stainless steel, custom bend and weld S/S to fit over 1" plywood. The counter is only 25" deep but it 14' long. Cost for S/S $325, 1' plywood $125, Good Friend to help Priceless!
Pat

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Musicman

Here's two of them anyway...

A383Wing

Well, here's my little workbench..nuthin' special, but notice the "lighting" system in the background over the cars. Made from spare lenses & housings from 66 Charger, 70 Charger, & 73 Pontiac we own. Figured they weer sitting there collecting dust, might as well put them to use. All powered by 110v lights inside when main garage lights turned on. Complete rotating headlight & grill assembly being put together now from a 66 Charger to hang up there as well.

Bryan

472 R/T SE

There's a bench in there somewhere.  Now you know why I need your assistance Curtis.  It wasn't like this until I got hurt.  Only thing unique about mine is I used particle board truss' for the legs that I picked up while hauling sticks.  Chunks of them come in handy while working on cars too.

bull

Quite the range of different benches here. Keepat's looks like an operating room, A383's garage looks llike Napa and Mike needs a 5,000 sq foot shop.

I wish I had more time to collect all my building materials on the cheap but I would like to get my grill restored pretty soon and I need a bench for that to happen. I have no real work space in my garage and I'm not going to do this on the floor. Anyone ever seen any plans/blue prints for one?

Charger_Fan

You should be able to get some plans from this site; http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb000-toc.html

This is the only other one I've stumbled across, sort of a little excessive, though; http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/17667/

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

John_Kunkel

I would post a pic of my workbench but you wouldn't be able to see it for the clutter.

I have a simple observation, all horizontal surfaces in the shop eventually become storage.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MOPARHOUND!

You might watch the auctions in your local paper.  Watch for a farm auction or auto repair shop that went out of business.  Might pick-up a cheap work bench that away.

Bought mine at a rail-car repair shop that went out of business.  They used them for working on rail-car axles, trusses, and the like.  They are total overkill, rated for 1000+ and heavy, but I got them way cheap.  They have a trick center section that is removable as needed, allowing access to the bottom side of what you are working on.   

Sorry, no pic's.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

69bronzeT5

Sorry it took so long. Heres mine
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69bronzeT5

Neal_J

My cheap and sturdy work bench consists of four Home Depot particle board base cabinets bolted together (8 foot long).  Adjustible legs assure it is dead-level both directions. 

The top is two layers of 3/4" plywood (10 foot long by 24" wide), topped by 1/16" stainless steel plate.   The overhang allows for woodworking and metalworking vices at the ends and for clamping along the full length.  The stainless steel top makes it greaseproof, spillproof and possibly bulletproof. 

Peace,

Neal

kidsixpack

If my picture comes out?  This is the Gladiator 8' bench from Sears.  It's great since I don't have a lot of room and it's built really well.
KIDSIXPACK
www.sixpacksuperbee.homestead.com
69 1/2 Super Bee V2 buckets console 4spd with radio delete.
1987 Grand National Low miles original
1989 TTA Low miles light mods
95 Lightning Light mods
95 Bronco Sport low miles Lifted light mods

Musicman

If a clean desk is a sign of a disturbed mind, then what are the implications of an "Eat Off The Floor" garage?
Are these garages or display casesĀ  :nana:

MikeĀ  :cheers:

lilwendal

Hers a couple of mine. First the shop. Then the surplus US Gov table in the garage. And finally the low cost hollow core door over plastic shelves table in the house. 

69bronzeT5

472 R/T SE

Holy cow!  I thought I had a lot of clusters.  I don't hold a candle to you.  :o

bull

I finally had time to cobble one together last night. I went to Lowe's and looked at a Waterloo work bench for $100 and figured the "huge" 18"x36" (at most) work space just wouldn't cut it. ::) What a joke. I went to the lumber section and picked out what I figured I would need without cutting too much. I got six 2x4s, 2 4x4s, a couple of 4'x2' ready-made table tops (cheaper than a piece of plywood), a box of wood screws and a pair of shop lights and bulbs all for $80. After I finished it I decided to make a pegboard back with an overhang for the lights in the near future so I didn't mount the lights yet. I also need to buy a couple more of those table tops for a lower shelf top but for now the Christmas decoration boxes will fill that space. Plus, I'm going to make a couple of modifications before I'm officially done; the first one I make will be to move those two lower end supports to the inside of the 4x4 legs like the top ones so I have a little more storage space on the sides and so it matches. So here it is, my 43"-inch tall, 2'x8' work bench:

chargerman68

will be starting mine after the holidays....
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

A383Wing

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 23, 2007, 12:50:16 PM
Thats ALOT of gauges! :o

Got a few also....more on the shelves.....   :nana:

Bryan