News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have you ever tried recovering gold from computer card contact points?

Started by bull, November 30, 2007, 09:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I did a little reading up on this and some of the methods for getting it off require the use of some nasty chemicals... not too interested in messing with that. I also found out you can scrape it off but the recovery rate is only about 1/2 or so. I know it's probably long shot but I was just wondering if anyone here has tried messing with it.

Todd Wilson

I havent tried to recover but this summer our antique truck club was rescuing some old trucks from a backyard and this guy selling them scraps old computers. He had more boards and memory simms then you could imagine. I mean dump truck loads of stuff.  He would pull the boards out of a computer, scrap the metal case to a pile, power supplys to a pile and then sort the boards in various size piles. He said he could get like 1$-4$ a board scrap to certain companies and then they  recover the various metals off of the boards. I was not aware that it was as much money as it was.

Todd

Rocky

1ton of ewaste has more gold than 17tons of gold ore. 

Here is an interesting study.      http://sitemaker.umich.edu/section002group3/e-waste