News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wondering What Color to go with on my 72' Charger.

Started by shaner33, October 02, 2005, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaner33

I'm getting ready to restore my charger and I am wondering what color to paint her.  I want to go with something that's hasn't been over done, but at the same time I also want something that looks great, obviously.  Anyone got any suggestions.

twilt

thats funny, it looks like the same person painted our cars with the same spray can.

TruckDriver

That is why I am most likely going to paint mine Hemi Orange. I love black, but there are a lot of black Chargers, ecspecialy 3rd generation Chargers. and it is a pain to keep clean. I like b5 blue, but again, way common. Red is also way common. With mine, I got my idea because I wanted to stay with a '71 or '72 color. And Hemi Orange covers both years and it is a bright color and will stand out. Other colors I'm debating, Plum Crazy, Sherwood Green.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

ScottW

Ooh-ooh-ooh paint it like this :icon_smile_big:

I'm considering a similar color for my 74 SE if I stray from original.

1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

71 RT

I like the Plum Crazy color on the 3rd genreation cars!

NHCharger

If you want high impact go with DodgeChargerGuy and Hemi Orange. I find that with my 71 Charger(Hemi Orange) it's a guy thing. Most guys love it, most woman hate it. My 72 Charger is Petty Blue. Everyone loves that color. Also Petty Blue was only offered from June 72 through the 74 model year, so you don't see many Petty Blue Chargers, as mentioned the B5 is very common. Another color that is simple but looks great is white with the R/T stripe and black out hood.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

AKcharger

ramit

I love the picture of the maroon 72 rallye ,but I have to agree with dodgechargerguy and say hemi orange is the way to go.

andy74

im partial to 05 electric blue mettalic pearl coat-but thats me! if i was going to do it over,id go with sublime green,and a black top/interior-that just screams hot rod to me!

ScottW

I like AKcharger's idea too. I always wanted to see a 3rd Gen done up in burnt orange with a burnt orange interior.   :yesnod:
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

cudaken

Shaner33, little head of your self are you not? When you say restore to me, that is like talking to God and living to tell about it. You paying to have the work done or doing the bodywork your self?

If you are doing the bodywork your self white, then yellow and next red. Lighter colors show the wave's in the body work less than darker colors.

Other thing, flat colors like yours hides defect like peeling paint, small dents etc. More than likely all the primer will need to come off as well. Most people that primer there car's have no clue to what they are doing and more then likely it will peel after paint. Paint is on top of the primer, well if the primer fall off gues what is going to fall of with it?

I would do the interior frist and get some heat in the Charger, then worry about the paint. I have been running bodyshop's for 20 years plus and do know what I am talking about. I don't think any of the other body people here will say I am wrong.

Do the easy stuff first. Will make you feel better in the long run.

Cuda Ken 
I am back

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Brock Samson

"Sublime"

you've got a white interior so that'sa factor..
What colors are your Favorites?..

I really liked that gunmetal grey/blue someone posted about a month ago... really rare, but most everything looks good on the B-bodies...
I am not to keen on the pale yellows, or the browns,.. but fresh paint, especially with a slick coat of clear over it usually looks great no matter what the color...
listen to the experts on here like Ken and Droptop not to mention several other body and paint Pros, they been around a B-body or 20 and will steer ya right...
I sure wish I had this site to go to for advice when i got started on mine in '84.  :-[

'CUDA360

:yesnod: I like the darker colors on chargers

That Gunmetal gray poly is outstanding with any stock black stripe treatment. Even the later ones :icon_smile_cool:

Maybe not so good with the white interior though so how 'bout a rare one like Green-go or better yet Hemi Orange?

4cruzin

So many colors . . . so many choices!!    Just about any color on that car is going to be very cool!!   I think bright red with white accents would be very cool also!!   
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

'CUDA360

twilt

:scratchchin: who cares what color anybody else likes? paint it the color that you want....... never could understand the reasoning behind posts like this. 

shaner33

Just wanted to say that I appreciate the comments.  Not to upset anybody but I do plan on doing whatever color I like in the end, I just thought I would get some ideas.  Also, I'm not planning on getting it painted any time soon.  I have to get quite a bit done to the body and the interior before it ever hits the paint shop.

skip68

I agree with CudaKen, I'm not a body/paint guy, but I'm doing my interior as we speak and 440 in the shop is about done. My body is great but color is wrong so I'm like you, Looking for paint ideas. I like the B5 blue myself but my cars a 68 and I think that's a good color for my car and might be to plain for yours. Hemi orange or yellow w/black stripe would look cool, but any color you paint it will look cool, ( It's a CHARGER) :2thumbs: Good luck, CHUCK...........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!