News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Attaching photos

Started by Belgium R/T -68, December 05, 2007, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Seems that my pictures get very big when they are attached in my questions.
Is it my camera or PC that can't deal with this problem or am I doing something wrong.
Last one was 176kb but can't hardly see the total picture ( see engine,trans questions).
when I download from camera to PC they are 1,5Mb/piece so I have to send them in an email to myself to
save them again, then they are around 170-190kb. Is that normal?  :shruggy:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Troy

Here's what is happening:
Pictures (images) on a computer have two different sizes - the file size (amount of hard drive space it takes up) and the viewable size (amount of space required to display it on your screen). The file size is dependent on the "resolution" or quality of the picture. So, a clearer picture using more colors will have a larger file size then a blocky or jagged picture even at the same viewable size. Your email service is basically reducing the image quality so the file size is smaller but leaving the large viewable dimensions from your camera intact. This is the opposite of what you want. Ideally, you shrink the viewable size to something like 800x600 pixels while keeping the resolution at a nice level. You should use an image editing program to do this (your camera probably came with a basic one). For something quick, I use one called IrfanView but there are a few others listed here in the forums (we have lots of threads on posting pictures). I really am working on adding an image resizer to the forums but it needs a specific piece of software that I can't seem to install correctly.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.