News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Media blast or Dip

Started by NMike, December 05, 2007, 05:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which is better, Media Blast a unibody or Caustic soda dip?

Media Blast
17 (73.9%)
Caustic Soda
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

NMike

i am going to be starting my complete 69 rebuild. i have easy access to each method. which do you prefer and why?

i have a place that will plastic media blast the underside and then walnut the outside. then do some kind of dip to get rid of the remaining dust.

there is another place that will dip the car to clean, pressure wash with water, then dip again to bring the shell to bare steel. after the sheet metal work is done, they will dip again to remove any surface rust then phosphate dip the shell for rust proofing.

which one would you pick?

PocketThunder

Caustic soda?  i've never heard of that.  what is it?  just like acid dip?  or is it the same thing?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: PocketThunder on December 05, 2007, 05:29:06 PM
Caustic soda?  i've never heard of that.  what is it?  just like acid dip?  or is it the same thing?

caustic acid bath...      best way to strip a car...     gets rid of EVERYTHING
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

bzabodyn

We're going the soda bath route with the HEMI charger, FYI...

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

hotrod98

I never dip cars. It removes seam sealer in places that are impossible to get at to replace it. It also removes all of the flutter control substance that keeps the car from rattling.
Besides, that stuff ends up down in the quarters and any other recess that it flows into which can lead to rusting on cars that never had rust issues before.
I say go with the media blasting performed by a professional.
The ideal way is to sand all surfaces possible with sandpaper no coarser than 80 grit and then media blast the rest. Then 180 sand the entire car, clean with wax and grease remover and apply acid etch primer. Don't use epoxy primer on bare metal no matter what the paint companies tell you.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

zerfetzen

I'm no expert on either method, but remember an episode of Muscle Car on Spike TV where Lou talked a little about both methods and pointed out some flaws of acid dipping, including it won't always get all the dirt and mud among other things I don't remember.  I thought it was true that it can also eat away good metal, but someone on this board told me I was wrong about that, so may be, but I wouldn't want to risk it.  I'd media blast, and don't use sand from what I've read, use glass media.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

hotrod98

Did you catch that episode of American Hotrod when the car came back from the dipper and when they removed the quarters, they were filled with sludge?
Nasty stuff. I don't want that crap in my cars.
The only downside of media blasting is having to remove it from the frame rails and inside the quarters. Fortunately, with the rotisserie, I can just turn the car over and blow the material out with a long blowgun. Takes a while though.
I also spray the insides of the frame rails with Rust-mort using a wand. I hate rust.

Charles Addams

69_500

Wouldn't feel comfortable dipping any car until they come up with a way to dip the car in a cleaning solution to wash all of the acid they just dipped it in, off. The acid will definately take off all of the unwated material, but there is absolutely no way to be 100% sure that you got all of the acid washed off without being able to dip it in a cleaning solution. Don't understand why they can dip the entire car in a vat of acid, but have no vat of cleaning solution, and how they figure a pressure washing can get all of it out?

zerfetzen

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 05, 2007, 06:24:10 PM
I also spray the insides of the frame rails with Rust-mort using a wand. I hate rust.

Hi Hotrod98,
I knew there had to be a way to spray inside there.  How do you do that?  What's a wand?  Thanks.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Dodge Don

I know not everyone can or will do a high end resto however dipping is best in those high end top quality cases. I had mine dipped and it was great. Then you have to open up all the seams to get at the hidden rust that even dipping cannot get to. That's a complete job and the end results are a 100% rust free car.

It's not for everyone. Media blasting is the average way to go about it.

J-440

Had my 68 dipped and it was definitly worth it.  1 bathvat for the actual dipping and the next vat was a sealing solution so the car would not rust from the inside out. They then blew the whole car dry with air, then let it sit for 24 hours to air dry, then added a solvent to protect the metal.  They recommend you cut 2 squares (3"X3") on the very ends just above the rocker panels, inside the door so when you put the anti-rust sealant back on the car, you spray this inside area real good.  Now the fun part is rustproofing the ENTIRE car (every nook and cranny) as well as put the seam sealer back on.  This will take a long time but I'm anal about my ride, so I didn't mind.  Just make sure everything is taken off the car before it is dipped.  The body, 2 doors, the decklid, plus trailer rental was around $1300.  My fenders and front valance were trashed and I sold my hood.  It was a neat process plus I got a cool buzz the entire weekend from the chemicals I used to put the rust inhibitor back on. Have a good one.

68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

skip68

I would have mine blasted but that's just my  :Twocents:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

tkkruzer

1300 ? now that a deal, I called a guy in mississippi and he wanted 3500 to do my 74 R/R, then an extra 1000 to dip it in E- primer afterwards ,that ended the dip idea for me. Ive seen the finished job and it looks great, but I can buy alot of sandpaper with that money and throw a sanding party with a BBQ and invite my friends ,and still have money left over. do mu own thing I say :2thumbs: Tom

NMike

$1300 is a wicked deal. i was told ~$2100 for the first two dips, then another $2000 for the final dip and then a dip in the rust proofing coating.

bull

Either way the most important thing you can do is make sure the dipper or blaster knows what he is doing. Either one of them can FUBAR a car real quick if they don't.

J-440

Man ya'll have some high prices!!  I live in Friendswood, TX which is about 15 minutes outside of Houston.  The dipping guy was in Conroe, North of Houston.  I guess OSHA is not as strict when you are outside the city limits, which is why I took the 1 hour drive out to Conroe.  Now, this price was about 6 years ago, they could have gone way up by then.  I purchased Eastwood's paint gun and wand set, borrowed my buddy's air compressor, and also bought the rust killer from Eastwood.  Great results but I will probably NOT do this again.  My car could have been on the road by now dammit!! 

BlueSS454

I paid $750 to have my 69 sandblasted.  I put the car up on a rotisserie, dropped it off, picked it up 8 hours later.  I did spend about an hour blowing all the sand out.  I got 99% of it, then shot some epoxy on it.
Personally, I'd never have a car dipped.  Too many risks involved.  If it's not properly cleaned and prepped afterwards, the remaining residue (and yes there will be some) can ruin a very expensive paint job in minutes.
Tom Rightler

Rack

Quote from: J-440 on December 12, 2007, 08:35:01 PM
   Man ya'll have some high prices!!  I live in Friendswood, TX which is about 15 minutes outside of Houston.  The dipping guy was in Conroe, North of Houston.  I guess OSHA is not as strict when you are outside the city limits, which is why I took the 1 hour drive out to Conroe.  Now, this price was about 6 years ago, they could have gone way up by then.  I purchased Eastwood's paint gun and wand set, borrowed my buddy's air compressor, and also bought the rust killer from Eastwood.  Great results but I will probably NOT do this again.  My car could have been on the road by now dammit!! 

There's a dipper in Texas?

Can you PM me a link to their site or a phone number?

I was almost set to take it to a place north of houston for media blasting. http://www.momusclecars.com/ That's their web address.

They charged $2200 for an inside/out top to bottom blasting. I guess that's not TOO bad. They have their own booth and they'd also primer it for me for another 500 (I think). Only problem is it's a 300+ mile drive for me (one way) and there's no guarantee they'd be able to get it done in one day.

I just realized that the site I mentioned is also located in Conroe. Maybe it's the same place? THey don't mention anything about dipping on their site.

fatboy

Anyone here know anything about dry ice blasting? They claim it turns into CO2 and leaves no moisture or blasting media when finished.

Dans 68

Dry ice is frozen CO2 (carbon dioxide). So theoretically the media sublimates to gaseous carbon dioxide. No residual acid or media. Interesting.... :scratchchin:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BigBlockSam

QuoteDon't use epoxy primer on bare metal no matter what the paint companies tell you.   

why? i've always used epoxy primer on bare metal.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

fatboy

Anyone around Nashville? I found a place on the web called Stripmasters of Nashville that offers dry ice blasting. I am curious to know how much they charge to do a complete car with that stuff.

hotrod98

Quote from: J-440 on December 12, 2007, 08:35:01 PM

Conroe has always been a little lax on EPA restrictions. How else could they have allowed a creosote facility to run for so long. Several years ago, I lived in Spring,Texas and when the wind blew south you could smell that stuff in the air. Nasty and cancerous.
As for the earlier question about the wand, you mentioned Eastwood, but 3M makes one as well and any decent automotive paint store would carry them.

Charles Addams

J-440

Rack...the name of the place in Conroe is Houston Metal Stripping.  Try 281-367-4037 or 281-541-5234 and ask for R.L.  He's an old fart and when I brought in my car, he had a full house.  About 5 cars ahead of me, Stangs, Camaros even an AMC they were all there.  Now this was 6 years ago so maybe the #'s have changed. Good luck bro.

moparracer

Anyone in or near Arkansas we started a media blast business last year most cars cost less than 500 dollars. We use baking soda and a really fine abrasive called star blast. If you need more info e-mail (judywewer@yahoo.com) Have worked as a sand blaster for over 30 years. Also all equipment is on a trailor i can come to you.