News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I thought I'd share this for 1968 grill paint reference

Started by bull, December 23, 2007, 11:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

There's a '68 NOS center grill section on Ebay right now and I thought it might be somewhat valuable to share pics of it for those who are wondering which paint goes where. NOS parts tend to cut through the speculation as to what's correct.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Charger-Front-Grill-NOS-Mopar_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140704QQihZ003QQitemZ130184985417QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

bull

more

69 OUR/TEA

A couple years ago when I did my grill,before the introduction of repo grill's,let alone the anodized trim and I piece,I did my grill and put it to the side to be ready for when my car is done.As you will find in a buried thread on grills,my post,I found an NOS center section and used that ,as Bull is showing you now ,for the correct color.I had friends over at PPG do a scan on it to get a starting point formula,and after about a dozen or so times retinting and doing spray-outs,I finally nailed it!!!I made it in laquer as original,and then got the black right on also,which was was alot easier.My trim was all mint,just needed to be reanodized,Specialties Bill did the work,my headlight buckets were also very good,and the center,well, was NOS.Even though it was NOS,it had your typical minor scuffs so needed to repaint anyway.
   I was being very picky when it came to the grill as that is the first thing people look at when they walk up to your car.If you do not have the resources or equipment or patience to do what I have gone through,then the vendors that sell the "grill silver paint" is your alternative.And that is fine,but after seeing bulls NOS grill post,and my endeavor vs. the reoccuring posts about this topic,you get the idea of what the color should look like.
  As far as the vendors selling the "grill silver" and those of you who use it,now you have hundreds of Chargers out there with silver being the norm of color on the grill,and as previously posted about colors,I have seen people say wheel argent is what to use.If I did not go thru what I did,I probably would have used wheel argent because it looks closer to the original than silver.
  BTW,the first formula that came out from my NOS grill proffit was called "ash gray poly".On another note,I went thru the same thing with my B7 interior when getting the correct color,gloss,and texture paint for my dash frame.,and yes it is in the 69 Dodge paint chart in the PPG paint chip books under interior colors,but the formula they have listed does not come up with metalflake init,which originally does .So again trial and error,and got it.
     Here are some pics of my grill to reference with bulls pics........

Tilar

:drool5:   I'm going to have to buy a complete grill for mine when I get to that point. Mine was in a shed over at another property of mine that I was renting out. The girl that was renting it fell asleep on the couch, and her 2 year old got ahold of her lighter and ended up burning the place to the ground, along with my storage shed.  :'(
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

JimShine

It may be just my eyes, but that 68 grille no longer looks NOS to me. It looks like it has seen atleast some use.

One of my pet peeves is the tendancy many guys have to call OEM parts "NOS" even when they were clearly used.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: JimShine on December 26, 2007, 09:25:38 PM
It may be just my eyes, but that 68 grille no longer looks NOS to me. It looks like it has seen atleast some use.

One of my pet peeves is the tendancy many guys have to call OEM parts "NOS" even when they were clearly used.

NOS doesnt mean protected by a force feild. some people think NOS means perfect but it most often doesnt
:Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemi68charger

Thanks Bull..
That is truely nice.. It'll give me better information when I redo my '68's grille.. The hardest part is going to get all the leading edge vertical bars silver while keeping the sides and back black......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Troy

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 27, 2007, 02:06:30 PM
Thanks Bull..
That is truely nice.. It'll give me better information when I redo my '68's grille.. The hardest part is going to get all the leading edge vertical bars silver while keeping the sides and back black......
A little birdy once told me to use a hard roller for the fins - no masking necessary. :2thumbs:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 26, 2007, 09:57:08 PM
Quote from: JimShine on December 26, 2007, 09:25:38 PM

NOS doesnt mean protected by a force feild. some people think NOS means perfect but it most often doesnt
:Twocents:

Forty years of shelf wear can do that.  (that isn't sarcasm btw)

JimShine

NOS Means "New Old Stock", not "once was new and installed, now removed and being resold". Once the part is installed on a car, it is no longer NOS.

It could be shelf wear, but it looks slightly windburned.

bull

Quote from: Troy on December 27, 2007, 02:57:41 PM
Thanks Bull..
A little birdy once told me to use a hard roller for the fins - no masking necessary. :2thumbs:

Troy

Another little birdy (aka 8WHEELER) said to use a silver, sharp-edged paint pen.

bull

Quote from: JimShine on December 27, 2007, 04:17:52 PM
NOS Means "New Old Stock", not "once was new and installed, now removed and being resold". Once the part is installed on a car, it is no longer NOS.

It could be shelf wear, but it looks slightly windburned.

True. "Once was new and installed, now removed and being resold" would not be NOS, it would be OWNAINRABR. :D

Troy

Quote from: bull on December 27, 2007, 08:21:42 PM
Thanks Bull..

Troy

Another little birdy (aka 8WHEELER) said to use a silver, sharp-edged paint pen.
But that doesn't work if you've custom mixed the rest of the paint so that it isn't so silvery. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Troy on December 28, 2007, 10:38:20 AM
Thanks Bull..

Troy

But that doesn't work if you've custom mixed the rest of the paint so that it isn't so silvery. ;)

Troy

I had a professional sign painter do mine with the paint I mixed. He only charged 75.00 do to all the bars on the grille, lids and bezals.I followed him up by spraying the big areas.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

1969chargerrtse

Thanks Bull..
That is truly nice.. It'll give me better information when I redo my '68's grille.. The hardest part is going to get all the leading edge vertical bars silver while keeping the sides and back black......

Troy

Doing mine real soon, any chance we can get a little more info or pictures of that process?  That would be a huge time saver.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

charger2fast4u

Charger-Bodie

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: charger2fast4u on December 28, 2007, 06:29:16 PM
that's a nice looking grille you have there 1hot68
And the whole car around it!!!!!!Looks awesome!!!!!! If I ever do another charger,it will be a 68 triple black!! It took alot of self control to not change my 69 R/T,B5 ,white top,white stripe to triple black!!!

bull

Quote from: Troy on December 28, 2007, 10:38:20 AM
Thanks Bull..

Troy

Troy

But it will probably work if you didn't. :2thumbs: