News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A-833 to bellhousing question

Started by 70sixpkrt, December 31, 2007, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sixpkrt

I just pulled my trans. out because of a leak that was coming from the front of the trans. Is it a good or bad idea to make up a gasket out of paper thin material that goes between the trans. and bellhousing? I think my leak is coming from the retainer seal, the whole in the front of the trans. where the cluster shaft goes thru, or the small oil seal.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

NMike

there is nothing to seal between the bellhousing and trans. replaced the bearing retainer gasket and seal and reseal the cluster shaft.

70sixpkrt

This is the 3rd time I've pulled the trans. out in the last 1 1/2 years due to a cleak. It is killing me.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

bull

I assume you've replaced the seal each time? Something is probably throwing the alignment off and the shaft is causing the seal to keep popping loose.

tecmopar

Make sure that the bushing/bearing is in the back of the crankshaft and that its in good shape. If not it will allow the input shaft of the trans to wobble all over the place, tearing up the seal, making for some hard shifting, and eventually ruining some of the internals of the trans. If it is in good shape then simply remove the front bearing retainer from the trans and install a new seal. If the seal area of the input shaft is badly worn or pitted you can use a Redi-sleeve to make it as good as new, good luck.