News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project '69 Progress Pics, it gets some New Shoes!

Started by bill440rt, January 02, 2008, 06:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Thought I'd share some updated overall shots of how my '69 is coming along. After some consideration, I decided on these Foose Challenger wheels with some BFG G-Force KDW2 tires. The car is still a ROLLER, so it looks a little "sprung" due to no weight in the car. Once the engine, trans, interior, glass, spare, exhaust, etc goes in the car it is sure to be lower, & I can further assess ride height at that time. I used the wheels/tires from my '68 as a guide, this car will have a similar ride height when finished.

I understand these wheels are not for everybody, but I happen to like them & wanted them for this car. Besides, the wife likes them, too! (Thank you honey, thank you!)   :D

The fronts are 18 x 8's with a 4.5" backspace. I went with a 19 x 10 in the back with a 5.5" backspace. Tires are 245/40/18 for the fronts & 295/35/19 for the rear. They sit nice with lots of room for steering & suspension travel. I could have went even wider in the rear, but I am happy with the result.

I also just got some chrome back from the platers & am in the process of putting together the vent window assemblies. I plan on putting together a step-by-step thread how on the vent windows go together very soon for those members that do not know how.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

Looks like youre moving along nicely Bill!  :2thumbs: Whats next on the list?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Hey Brian, Thanks!

Well, after I get the vent windows assembled (I'll create a thread on that soon), I'll get the rest of the side glass in the car. Can you believe I'm STILL LOOKING for a decent tinted driver's door glass?? Helloooooo???? Anyone out there have one????

I then plan on ordering the aftermarket A/C set-up from Classic Auto Air. They supply a new heater/AC box in the kit, & I want to install that before the dash goes in to make life easier. Once the dash is in, I can get the rest of the glass in the car. Then, I want to concentrate on the engine & trans.

BTW, ds440 (Photoshop guru) created this image of what the finished product will hopefully look like. He is truly an artist.  :bow:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ds440

Absolutely beautiful! :cheers:

Keep the pics comin', Bill. :popcrn:
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

resq302

Bill, you think you will have that ready for its debut at E-town?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

The car looks great Bill!   :yesnod:

It seems as though you and I are at about the same stage on our very similar looking projects, although mine has come to a grinding halt since September and will most likely resume in February. 

I have a thread started about my interior assembly that hasn't been updated for quite some time but I plan on doing that soon.  In it will also be a "how to" with regards to the vent window assembly as I did those a few months back.  Let me know if you have any questions about the reassembly process as I found it to be not too bad despite what the platers did to the chrome pieces.

I'm at the stage now where I can install the door glasses.  Perhaps I'll update my interior thread with the information on the door glass trim before I get to my vent windows.

Keep the progress pics coming.   :thumbs:

charger2fast4u

looks great so far let us know how that aftermarket a/c setup works out i'm debating if i should get one i also will be looking out for the how to vent windows thread. :popcrn:

Muscles

tan top

looks real good  :cheers:   , love that color combo on a second generation   sublime & black :drool5:............ :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

keepat

The wheels & car look Awesome! Great choice! I've never seen those wheel used on a 69 Charger.
Pat

bill440rt

Hey gang,
Thanks a bunch!  :2thumbs:
I was almost expecting to get skinned alive & doused with gasoline for going with those wheels, but I am very happy with my decision.

Quote from: resq302 on January 02, 2008, 09:49:33 PM
Bill, you think you will have that ready for its debut at E-town?

Brian, not a cold chance in hell!!  :smilielol:  TOO much stuff left to do, & not enough time or money at the present time to do it. (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!)  ;)  Baby steps, baby steps. Maybe, if I'm oh-so-lucky, next year could be a distant possibilty. I'm fairly close to E-town, so you're always welcome to stop by after the show if you ever wanted to see it in person.

Quote from: keepat on January 04, 2008, 10:27:48 PM
The wheels & car look Awesome! Great choice! I've never seen those wheel used on a 69 Charger.
Pat

Thank you keepat, I've been drooling over your car as well!  :drool5: :drool5:   That is precisely why I chose these wheels. I've seen the Billet Specialties rallye wheel used a lot, but for some reason it doesn't look right to me. The billet Magnum is much nicer, but a lot of cars have them. Those Foose's are even nicer in person.

I'm hoping to finish up the vent window assemblies today, I'll have a thread started in the Paint & Body section later on.

Shakey

Bill - did you plan on using the screw technique to hold the chrome piece to the frame or are you simply peening over the unused posts and using some epoxy?

I ask because I've seen it done both ways.

Bill from the 1970 Charger Registry posted his tutorial a while back which I used as a guide however Sandy, this fella from FL that is restoring a '70 Roadrunner, suggested that a screw might help hold it in place a bit better.

bill440rt

Hi Shakey,
I peened over the unused posts. Not to get too far off-topic here (I'll repeat this in the Paint/Body section), but the chrome plater removed the galvanized channels from the pot metal frames & chromed BOTH pieces.  :RantExplode:  That's OK, you don't see the channel once the vent is assembled & gasket installed anyway. I scuffed/sanded both mating surfaces & also used 3M's panel bond adhesive for some extra "bite." It's much stronger than epoxy, & I didn't want to rely on just the spare posts alone. Also, BE SURE to support the piece properly when you peen over the posts!! I used a flat metal body dolly with a rubber squeegee taped to it for support. Stay away from blocks of wood, etc. Past experience years ago taught me a lesson here!  :brickwall: