News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Only One Distributor Advance Spring?

Started by lookin@my68, January 04, 2008, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lookin@my68

Hi all,

After reading some great posts regarding re-curving MOPAR distributors I've decided to try and do mine... ( Thanks again Rob, ( KamKuda ) for your scanned info!  :thumbs: )

I have a 383 in my 68 Charger with seemingly the only deviation from stock being Mopar electronic ignition - Looks like a kit bought around 1999...

Anyway, yesterday I pulled the distributor and started disassembling it to see what I was in for. From all the info I had gained I was expecting to see a light spring and a heavy spring with an elongated eye. I was going to order the Mr Gasket advance spring kit #925B and replace the heavy spring with a light one in the Kit as well as weld up the slots a little in the advance plate.

However when I got my distributor apart it only had one advance spring - the lighter factory style one - the heavy one was missing all together!! It looks like this has been removed on purpose in the past as there was no sign of a broken spring inside the housing...so my questions are: 

1) Would this be causing any problems? I wanted my advance to come in sooner but wouldn't adding a spring (no matter how light) to the side that doesn't actually have one delay the advance?

2) Should I just leave it with one spring in there and weld up the slots a little? or should I use both the light springs in the kit??

Now I'm confused!! :shruggy:

Any one got any advice?

Cheers
Danny

aifilaw

its a drag trick to remove one spring altogether on the short-deck BB mopars because with the MP cams they liked a lot of advance early on. weld them up and put in both springs.
The trick did cause annoyances on the road though fluttering your timing if you were doing anything but accelerating
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

lookin@my68

Thanks!

That may explain why I occasionally feel the car 'seeking' at around a constant 45mph - I always assumed it was carb/fuel related.
I'll do the mods and post my results...