News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone ever dipped and e-coated their replacement panels?

Started by bull, October 04, 2005, 10:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I was just thinking about the dipping and e-coating process and how it's fairly cost prohibitive to dip a whole car. But what about just the panels you're replacing? If the lower quarters are rusted and due to be replaced would it make sense to have the new ones e-coated before they are welded in? Maybe they are already coated by the companies that reproduce them, I don't know. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Troy

Some (maybe not all) replacement panels are already coated with something. That's what makes them look black. I have no idea what it is though but I think it's a phosphate coating. I wouldn't pay to have them dipped and e-coated since you're going to be grinding and welding most of them during installation. I am not sure if it would be worth the cost or not though since the welded part wouldn't be coated when you're through (ie. you're in the same position whether you do it or not).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

You're probably right. I was just wondering because some people say that e-coating is impervious to rust forever so you'd think since you're fixing the obvious problem areas anyway might as well cure them once and for all.

Troy

Well, I think the reason the e-coat goes on last is so you don't grind it, sand it, or burn it away. I'm just guessing though so hopefully someone who is more familiar with the process can explain.

Troy

bull

I need to research it more. They make it sound like a coating but I might be confusing it with some other process. Isn't there some process that gives the metal a negative charge or something? I don't know what I'm talking about so I'll just shut up.

Troy

Yes, that's it. However, it's like powder coating - the charge is what attracts and bonds the coating to the metal. The metal doesn't retain the charge after it's removed from the tank but it does have a nice, new protective coating (much like paint but since it's dipped it covers every surface it touches).

Linky:
http://www.royalecoat.com/whatisecoat.html

Troy

runningman

I have had some of my stuff dipped and e-coated.  They said they are using PPG epoxy primer for the e-coat process, so I am guessing if you are just doing a panel than you could just spray it yourself.  I had some of the stuff done where I couldn't get to all the areas and seams like doors, hood, and trunklid.  I am in the process of welding new floors in right now, before I weld I am cleaning the metal and coating with zero-rust but taping off the areas that are getting welded, after welding I am going to spray the rest of the areas and thin some of it out and squirt it into the seam areas to seal them as well.  Hopefully it works :)

daytonalo

Just use weld Thur primer and let your grandchildrens  children worry about that b.s and finish that car!