News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hay Strat!!!! Its a truck!!!!

Started by Todd Wilson, October 05, 2005, 12:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Screwin it down on the super slab..........

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Lowprofile

Hey Todd, great posts!  Love those old truckin' pics! :cheers:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

TruckDriver

I am off for the winter now, but I went to the shop today to get my second to last pay check. I thought I'd take this shot of my truck all covered up.

Took this nice purple Pete in town at the local BP/Burger King.

PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Todd Wilson

I have had the luck to see many a rare vehicle and today I finally came across a very rare Ford truck. Possibly the only one to exist in the universe!

The Ford SuperDuper Duty extended king cab 4 door twoandahalfthreequarter1ton truck!

It appears to have the optional dual stack exhaust as well as the special order 163gallon fuel tank for extended mpg range.

It appears to have had the ram air snorkle setup but sadly only the hole in the passenger side hood remains of it.

Truely a rare Ford to leave you in the state of awe!

Todd

Tilar

:lol:   I wonder what that car is that he's hauling?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Todd Wilson

WingCharger

Here is a truck ;):

I love Jeep J20's, and the Dually versions are RARE! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

472 R/T SE

I started driving in the oilpatch of western Kansas starting off as a swamper and ending up back up tandem driver.  Back then being an early 20 something kid doing it was uncommon.

I drove OTR for Roadrunner Trucking for 4 or so years and ended up here in the NW.  I run a show truck hauling sticks and would run up to Seattle and as far down as southern Oregon.  I had a new 379 Pete w/ a 425 Cat w/ a 18 speed, 8" stacks pulling a 53' trailer.  I put it in one show, won, and gave my notice.  Better half was preggo and they didn't have bene's, just nice equipment.

Running the truck was cool but a real pain keeping clean.

472 R/T SE

I quit hauling sticks and went to work for a heavy haul outfit.  Their ICC number was 550 if that tells you how old they were.

This was the biggest, heaviest load I pulled down the road.  I was permitted for 220k, but weighed around 180k.  It was a railroad bridge overpass.  I pulled it with a 9 axle with a steer car behind it.  It took me over an hour to come off Cabbage Mountain never touching the brakes.  I had 4 pilot cars.

The truck I run was an Autocar with a 425 Cat, 18 speed & 4:33 gears.  It had true interlocks, when you locked the driver's in there was no steering.  The truck would pull a wet whore out of bed.

The one picture is pretty cool as it shows me all the way around the corner and the overpass is still on the adjoining road.

The road construction sign is because of us from loading them out.

472 R/T SE

Last ones.  I pulled this 300 ton capacity double drop transformer deck with an empty weight of 176k from Portland to Idaho twice and Wyoming once.  The truck that normally pulled it only run like 40 mph, it had military axles underneath it.  When we went to Wyoming a lumber mill had a power generating plant and it supplied a good portion of power for the neighboring town.  A lightning storm struck one of the transformers and we were put on emergency dispatch, hence changing out the fifth wheel off the big military axled truck to my (road) truck so we could get there ASAP.  It was the first time a truck other than the military rig pulled it down the road.

Anyhow on one of the trips to Idaho to move a transformer, it was suppose to be empty, it wasn't.  We figure I weighed around 480k but it was a substation move.  I only had one chance at backing it into a service bay cause the road was disintegrating.

You can see Andy on the back side of the trailer.  It was a rear steer and the steering wheel would slide from one end to the other so he could see. 

The trailer was called "Enormous".  It was 14' wide.  The wheels & tires were continuous across the axles, not tubes and the tires are 14-24's.  Big stuff.

The one picture I'm pointing at my springs, they're FLAT.  Also you can see Andy waving.

Another picture is of me passing Savage's 300 ton trailer broke down on the side of the road.  It was loaded with a vessel hanging.  Pretty rare to see the only two 300 ton trailers in the NW on the same road at the same time.

472 R/T SE

And of course the end.  While I was heavy hauling for the one outfit I would haul rough terrain cranes for Campbell Crane, sometimes for a week straight.  Anyhow I got my foot in the door with them and they offered to hire me on as a journeyman.  I went to the hall and plopped down $1200 for my card and went to work for them.

My first crane was a '73 P & H (poor & helpless) 140 ton lattice crane.  Top speed was about 40 mph.

When I got hurt I had been on a brand new Liebherr 360 ton hydraulic, 2.8 million $$.  Top speed 60 mph, electric windows & A/C.  Cream puff, life was good.

Anyhoots, this is my contribution to the trucks thread.

68coronetGLwannabe

Hey 472 R/T SE  who were you moving that profiling machine for? I used to haul those for an outfit in Az. We did NM NV UT CO. For a company called Arizona Paving and Profiling. They were definetly heavy, Heaviest on I hauled grossed about 175000 and 110 long  :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on February 08, 2009, 10:08:59 PM
Hey 472 R/T SE  who were you moving that profiling machine for? I used to haul those for an outfit in Az. We did NM NV UT CO. For a company called Arizona Paving and Profiling. They were definetly heavy, Heaviest on I hauled grossed about 175000 and 110 long  :2thumbs:

Benge, they're local up here.  They, too, offered me a job.  In the summer those boys put some killer hours in.  Our season is pretty limited up here (rain). 

You had to be reliable to pull those cause sometimes road closures were to the minute.  Sometimes easy money though.  Drop one off while they grinded all day.  I sat around so I'd do lunch runs for them, load it up and head to the next one.  I'd load & unload them myself most of the time.

The ones I pulled weren't that heavy.  IIRC it was around 70-80k, about as heavy as a rough terrain crane.

TruckDriver

Those are some cool stories and pictures Mike! :2thumbs:

I'm suprized you never joined "Hanks Truck Pictures" forum too. They would love the 3 picture posts you just layed down :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
PETE

Todd Wilson

Those are great photos. I didnt know wood was so heavy in those top photos! The heeavy haul transformer stuff looks real interesting.

Todd

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 08, 2009, 09:55:51 PM

Another picture is of me passing Savage's 300 ton trailer broke down on the side of the road.  It was loaded with a vessel hanging.  Pretty rare to see the only two 300 ton trailers in the NW on the same road at the same time.
Is that hydraulic fluid bleeding all over the road?

Great pics Mike, those trailers are some big boys!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on February 08, 2009, 11:21:20 PM
Those are some cool stories and pictures Mike! :2thumbs:

I'm suprized you never joined "Hanks Truck Pictures" forum too. They would love the 3 picture posts you just layed down :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Thanks.  I have hundreds of pictures from over the years.  I just wish I would have taken more when I was in the patch.  I'm registered at Hanks.  I just don't think I ever posted.

Quote from: Todd Wilson on February 08, 2009, 11:33:15 PM
Those are great photos. I didnt know wood was so heavy in those top photos! The heeavy haul transformer stuff looks real interesting.

Todd

The top photo are house truss'.  Amazingly they're pretty light.  I couldn't haul any more cause it would put me overheight.  With the bridge laws I could only go 101,5k in Wa. but 105k in Or.  The B trains could haul a little more than me and gross 105k in Wa.

We would go to railyards when I was heavy hauling & crane rental to load out transformers.  We'd get there and go home cause the car had been bumped.  There's some kind of apparatus on the transformer car that tells whether it's been.  I could never figure out why the power company never checked that before we were called in.  Easy money I guess.

The same with derailments.  It seemed they NEVER happened during the week, always at night or during the weekends, holidays.

The transformer moves were a lot of work since the company I was with would jack and roll them instead of spending the money for a crane.  When you're the young buck & a greenhorn you got all the manual work.  I was only a movie star when I got to pull the transformer decks.  :D

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Charger_Fan on February 09, 2009, 06:42:34 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 08, 2009, 09:55:51 PM

Is that hydraulic fluid bleeding all over the road?

Great pics Mike, those trailers are some big boys!

You must mean the profiler with the mountain in the background.  That's water.  As the road's being ground up I think the water cools stuff?  They have water tanks and need to be drained to make weight.  If you look on the road, you can see where they ended the grind.  In the photo I'm just north of California.  I took it down there and in Ca. you can't run a tag axle (2nd axle behind the steer) so I had a jeep under the front of the trailer.

Top photo is the other 300 ton trailer.

472 R/T SE

Another note.  When I was running that fancy truck I would get inundated with folks on the CB radio asking about the stacks.  Right after we put them on I told a few guys on the radio we took them off a tugboat.  :D Sure enough, someone would ask about the stacks and I usually just monitored the radio.  But someone would pipe up and say they came off a tugboat like they were all proud of themselves for answering the question for me.  :icon_smile_big:

Something else I forgot.  When I was pulling that "Enormous" trailer I had another truck behind me at all times and when we got to a long grade he'd come up behind me and help push me over the top.  Having your head snap back usually meant he was there.  He was always the same guy.  He came from the patch in Montana as well and I think there was a little animosity cause I got to pull the big trailer since he was normally the #1 heavy haul guy with me being #2.  I was assigned the truck so there wasn't anything he could do.  Actually if they let someone else drive my truck and it paid better money than what I did in the meantime I could file a grievance with the union to get my money.
That truck made me some good money.  It was a union shop and if there were guys in front of me and there was no work they'd stay home but if there was something for my truck I got called in ahead of them.