News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone get their 440source heads yet???? SOLD OUT TILL FEB!

Started by Mfr426, January 17, 2008, 03:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Kunkel

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 24, 2008, 07:20:21 PM

Very Nice John, thanks for the pics and assembly report.  :2thumbs:

Is that your's ? what's it going in ? 

I'm assembling it for a friend, it's going in a '33 Willys kit car.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 25, 2008, 06:45:56 PM

Ah Man....a Willys !  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: Please post some pics of it when it's done !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Paul G

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 25, 2008, 06:45:56 PM

It's nice to see someone use something other than a small block Chevy once in a while.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

SeattleCharger

Quote from: NorwayCharger on January 26, 2008, 07:34:40 AM
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4138817&page=0&vc=1

:popcrn:

:o :shruggy:

From that moparts thread one guys says:

JohnRR
Mental
Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: over here   Re: JUST FLOWED STEALTH HEADS!! [Re: db12]
      #4139933 - Sat Jan 26 2008 09:59 AM   Edit     Reply     Quote     Quick Reply   
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
where ya at johnrr??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
right here  ...

i'm waiting for the fast68 report , i trust the numbers off his bench

i just looked at the numbers , i have a set of bare 452's i bought for 400 bucks years ago that flow better ...

and the 906's i have for my stroker flow better also , yes i paid more and i was happy to do so . 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Musicman

From that same thread... (one source anyway)

for comparison:

iron "346" open to about 203cc 2.14/1.74 backcut valves
template port pushrod pinch opened:
100---122---62
200---154---104
300---199---130
400---230---147
500---240---161
600---250---168
source: Mopar Muscle

parts are essentially the same as the stealth heads w/ a smaller intake port.

The Source #s

100 --- 65 --- 57     
200 --- 135 --- 108
300 --- 191 --- 140
400 --- 227 --- 159
500 --- 242 --- 173
600 --- 254 --- 183
700 --- 261 --- 191

COMMENTS?

Information is slowly starting to leak in now

mally69

What we really need is a comparision between     edelbrock OOTB    and     stealth OOTB.. 

Musicman

There's scores of people running 10's and faster with edelbrock heads.

Nobody ever complains about the Edelbrock's flow, now someone flows our heads, clams they flow about the same as Edelbrocks on their specific bench, and people respond saying they're "barely better than a stock 906."

When the time slips start coming in of people running single digit et's with these, the proof will be in the pudding.

Brandon---this will happen soon--"we" in the midwest are stuck in our houses with 2 degrees.

---waiting for CA racers to post ET's.....

Sounds like Brandon has been taking a bashing just because the heads flow similar to Eddy's out of the box... (ooohh, big surprise there) I don't get it, what's the beef???

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Musicman on January 26, 2008, 08:31:26 PM

Nobody ever complains about the Edelbrock's flow, now someone flows our heads, clams they flow about the same as Edelbrocks on their specific bench, and people respond saying they're "barely better than a stock 906."

When the time slips start coming in of people running single digit et's with these, the proof will be in the pudding.

Brandon---this will happen soon--"we" in the midwest are stuck in our houses with 2 degrees.

Sounds like Brandon has been taking a bashing just because the heads flow similar to Eddy's out of the box... (ooohh, big surprise there) I don't get it, what's the beef???

Weren't they supposed to be the same thing as eddy rpm aluminum heads?        
          They are the same as eddy rpm heads, right?   why is someone saying they are same as stock iron heads,
                  that must be wrong,  :shruggy: 

mally69

Oh my god, has he ever taken a bashing, you should have seen some of the posts over there before they got deleted, it got plain nasty.  All I can say is, I appretiate the effort from him to do this. It takes alot to even try to do something like this, money time etc.... I think his product will sell. :yesnod:

Musicman

:iagree:  You can please some people some of the time... and who cares what the rest of them think... let them try and do better... At least Brandon has stepped up to the plate, and thrown the ball.
I'm still waiting for more information since one bench test doesn't mean much of anything anyway. Besides which, flow numbers are nice, but the proof is in the pudding. There are a number of heads out there on the market for Chevy's etc, with great numbers that aren't worth squat.
Bottom line... if they flow as good as Eddy's or even close enough... and they make good power across the board, then I'm happy... you know why? Because mine cost a lot less... so if I do feel they need a little port work, well I'm still ahead of the game!

aifilaw

yeah, those flow numbers mean nothing to anyone unless you run them on a calibrated bench, or you run them side by side on the same bench at the same time and under the same conditions as something that is known (eddys)
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

mally69

Dwayne Porter is also going to flow a set of stealth heads from brandon, I can't wait to see what he comes up with  :cheers:

Paul G

I dont understand those guys. 440 Source put out a set of heads ready to run with great improvements over a stock head for $900 and there complaining about the flow numbers which aren't bad. What do those guys think they are getting for that amount of money?
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

aifilaw

It looked to me like someone flowed the heads on an uncalibrated bench, an got around 230 on the intake. And without thinking people correlated that flow to an iron block, which on a calibrated bench runs around the same, and thought they were getting basically a garbage head made of aluminum. Even when teh poster pointed out that the stock edelbricks flowed around 230 on that same bench... Therefore, its my guess that the stealth heads truly flow around 290 on the intake at lift, and I believe we'll see those numbers once its run on a calibrated bench. Miscommunication at its best.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Troy

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on January 26, 2008, 08:58:09 PM

Weren't they supposed to be the same thing as eddy rpm aluminum heads?       
          They are the same as eddy rpm heads, right?   why is someone saying they are same as stock iron heads,
                  that must be wrong,  :shruggy: 
No, they aren't the same as Edelbrocks or stock heads. Externally they look pretty close to stock (as opposed to the Edelbrock big-block-of-aluminum look) but they are aluminum instead of iron. Lots of guys are excited to get the benefits of a new, better flowing head that appears factory along with the advantages of aluminum (less weight, higher compression, etc.). The price is also about $400 less than the Edelbrocks and typically less than doing a bunch of machine work to old, fatigued iron heads. I'm no expert but, from reading those posts, they still flow a lot better than stock and nearly the same as out of the box Edelbrocks. Mainly what people seem to be missing is that these are designed to be bolted on and have a stock appearance - they are NOT a race head! Who cares if you can get an extra 5 CFM when you're sitting in traffic at the cruise-in? If you want to race then you likely wouldn't be looking at these heads any way. Mostly people are just blasting Brandon because the heads aren't made in the US. They will never accept the product even if the performance was ten times better than anything else.

Of course, I did find it funny that a stock small block Magnum head flows about the same. That's technology for you... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Musicman

Mainly what people seem to be missing is that these are designed to be bolted on and have a stock appearance

:iagree: Yes, that was one of the other selling points that many folks have overlooked...glad you brought that up.

defiance

Having just plunked down $900+shipping for a pair of these, and those being ootb flow numbers, I'm pretty happy :)  Now let's see what Jeff @ MCH can get them up to :D

firefighter3931

The guy that posted the numbers originally said that they are equivelant to an Edelbrock RPM head....on his  bench. Flow benches, like dynos will vary from one to the other so these numbers don't mean much to me other than they are basicly the same as an RPM head. Heck, those are waaaay better than a stock 906/452, have a closed chamber and won't crack....what more could you ask for ?

Like Troy said, these are not a race head....just a hot street "replacement" type casting that has some potential. Heck, a 250 cfm closed chamber aluminum head will make 500hp with minimal effort, on pump gas with no detonation issues.  ;)

When Dwayne at Porter Racing Heads gets them on his bench then we'll have the real skinny on the Stealth heads.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

375instroke

For those of you that won't buy these heads because they are not made in America, can you say you don't run foreign gasoline through your American made heads?  How much money do you give to the Middle East compared to what you give Edelbrock?  I'm getting a set now without a motor for them just because of the crap the Source is getting.

jerry

Quote from: 375instroke on January 29, 2008, 04:17:57 AM
For those of you that won't buy these heads because they are not made in America, can you say you don't run foreign gasoline through your American made heads?  How much money do you give to the Middle East compared to what you give Edelbrock?  I'm getting a set now without a motor for them just because of the crap the Source is getting.
gotta be the dumbest reason to buy a set of heads.  :Twocents:

Mfr426

So, has anyone bolted these new heads on and ran their car? Just wondering how they made out before I pull the trigger...

:popcrn:

mally69

I just ordered a set last night, I wont have them for about 3-4 weeks yet...

SeattleCharger

Here's the ticket.      (c) mally69 (tm)               Just get a 512 stroker and put all this on it,  gonna check my lotto tickets today,