News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front coil over conversion??

Started by professor-patrick, October 05, 2005, 12:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RallyeMike

QuoteWell if this IS directed at me I have NO CHOICE.

If you had no choice, then that may or may not put you in the category of "want to do this".   I don't know the history of the predicament you are in.....     it was a general comment. Sounds like you inherited quite a project.

I can definitely see 150lbs saved by the time you add losing the t-bars, swapping out the old K for the tubular set up, and of course, all the weight reduced form the RIGHT REAR POCKET OF YOUR PANTS!      :icon_smile_wink:   (Sorry, couldnt resist)

Certainly anything that was engineered 40 or so years ago can be improved. I appreciate modifications for performance as much as anyone, and more than most. This one just doesnt float my boat. For a street car, or street/strip car, I would rather spend my money on something else and utilize the pretty damn good set up that Mopar gave the car in the first place, and leave the character of your classic car intact. For drag racing, a set up with down hoops to the front rails with solid connection points at the top of the shock/spring would be much stronger and safer than the design of the AlterKation or other models. Somewhere in between these is a niche for these set ups I guess. To each his own!  

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Steve P.

Mopars K member is plenty strong.. That's not a reason for ME to change it out!! The big things for me are :

1) weight
2) space for huge safe oil pan
3) space for headers
4) no tire wobble upon re-entry..
5) weight
6) weight

A down hood at the shock tower is a given on a racer.. Sure will help out your 40 year old sheet metal..

Absolutely to each his or her own!!!  No question.. I'm not forcing this on anyone.. I would not force a turbo or a blower on you either... I merely expressed my opinion on what I concider a great product that I wish I could afford..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Blown70

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 09, 2005, 09:44:10 PM
QuoteWell if this IS directed at me I have NO CHOICE.

If you had no choice, then that may or may not put you in the category of "want to do this".   I don't know the history of the predicament you are in.....     it was a general comment. Sounds like you inherited quite a project.

I can definitely see 150lbs saved by the time you add losing the t-bars, swapping out the old K for the tubular set up, and of course, all the weight reduced form the RIGHT REAR POCKET OF YOUR PANTS!      :icon_smile_wink:   (Sorry, couldnt resist)

Certainly anything that was engineered 40 or so years ago can be improved. I appreciate modifications for performance as much as anyone, and more than most. This one just doesnt float my boat. For a street car, or street/strip car, I would rather spend my money on something else and utilize the pretty damn good set up that Mopar gave the car in the first place, and leave the character of your classic car intact. For drag racing, a set up with down hoops to the front rails with solid connection points at the top of the shock/spring would be much stronger and safer than the design of the AlterKation or other models. Somewhere in between these is a niche for these set ups I guess. To each his own!  

Well if I was to drag race only I would leave the set up on the car that is there.   In Fact it will be for sale (the strange Coil overs) when I get the "hot rod" front end from Alston.....

This car currently has a Strange Strut front end..... I personally THINK, I can get her back to the street..... FUN times ahead

BLOWN70

Steve P.

Wow.. I like it...  :yesnod:  I'm not trying to be an idiot about any of this. I just wonder why you are changing what you have?? Do you want more of a stock look, or is your set up a pain to work around?? That looks nice and stiff to me!!

Obviously I don't know the story behind your car, but,,, it looks damn nice to me... 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Blown70

Well this front end is just not made for the street.  I would love to keep it I guess we are HIJACKING this thread but,  The brakes on this STRANGE front are tiny.  I could get you  a close up but they are not for street driving... ESP. with the Elephant that will be in her I would like to have some better braking.....

The car was done very professionally and I still am in contact with the guy that built the chassis.....  It has a Alston 4 link in the rear.

Blown70

Steve P.

So you can't put a bigger brake set up on it?????  It looks great!! 

Sorry about the thread robbery..... :-\
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Blown70

Quote from: Steve P. on October 10, 2005, 09:38:51 AM
So you can't put a bigger brake set up on it?????   It looks great!!  

Sorry about the thread robbery..... :-\

Not from what I can tell,  Strange does ont have any other setups for this and I dont think any wildwood will fit these hubs.  I Alston I would have 4 piston wilwoods to match the rear.  I would be using the front I-beam type was called at one time "street rod front end"

As far as I know that would be the easiest.  I have to get a mock up engine in with the hemi heads and the pan to see the measurements.

Blown70

Steve P.

Damn, it's rather strange that Strange doesn't have a big brake set up fot their spindle.. If the brakes are the reason for the change, I think I would contact them again and ask them what they would suggest... It just seems like a bunch of work and money for something that Strange (should) allready have..

Maybe we should make this a post. I think it's well worth it.....

Come to think of it, I believe FAT MAN suspension uses Strange also.. Maybe a call to them.. I don't remember why I thank that!! Maybe one of the street rods at our local cruise in...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

professor-patrick

OK, to bring this thread back to my original question.  I've been working on these chargers for the last couple of years, and after years of building drag race set-ups, I just like front coil overs for a number of reasons.  I recently had a torsion bar break on me, which really freaked me out - almost sent me into the ditch.  I've designed a four-link rear suspension already for the car, and am looking to gain some more room and handling.  I've seen chargers taken through hard corners and never liked the way the outside squats while the inside almost lifts off the ground -  thought a coil over would give me some more discretion on adjusting it to make it stiffer.  My first idea was to replace the shock with a coilover and add a stiffer attachment by way of a drop down bar from the firewall to the front frame (with some crossbars under the dash linking into the front of the rollcage.  Anybody done this - real similar to the full on drag race setup- but keeping the inner fenders intact.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

Blown70

Quote from: professor-patrick on October 10, 2005, 12:17:25 PM
OK, to bring this thread back to my original question.   I've been working on these chargers for the last couple of years, and after years of building drag race set-ups, I just like front coil overs for a number of reasons.   I recently had a torsion bar break on me, which really freaked me out - almost sent me into the ditch.   I've designed a four-link rear suspension already for the car, and am looking to gain some more room and handling.   I've seen chargers taken through hard corners and never liked the way the outside squats while the inside almost lifts off the ground -   thought a coil over would give me some more discretion on adjusting it to make it stiffer.   My first idea was to replace the shock with a coilover and add a stiffer attachment by way of a drop down bar from the firewall to the front frame (with some crossbars under the dash linking into the front of the rollcage.   Anybody done this - real similar to the full on drag race setup- but keeping the inner fenders intact.

SORRY TO HAVE GONE OFF TOPIC ;D.   I do not know why you could not use the strange set up I have again however it was not built for extreme braking.  I can show it to you via pics if you want.  You would have to modify the top shock mount and have a place for the lower mounts  But IT "COULD" work on a street car.   Just not good for breaking.....

Wanna buy my used one? :icon_smile_cool:

Blown70

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: professor-patrick on October 10, 2005, 12:17:25 PM
OK, to bring this thread back to my original question.   I've been working on these chargers for the last couple of years, and after years of building drag race set-ups, I just like front coil overs for a number of reasons.   I recently had a torsion bar break on me, which really freaked me out - almost sent me into the ditch.   I've designed a four-link rear suspension already for the car, and am looking to gain some more room and handling.   I've seen chargers taken through hard corners and never liked the way the outside squats while the inside almost lifts off the ground -   thought a coil over would give me some more discretion on adjusting it to make it stiffer.   My first idea was to replace the shock with a coilover and add a stiffer attachment by way of a drop down bar from the firewall to the front frame (with some crossbars under the dash linking into the front of the rollcage.   Anybody done this - real similar to the full on drag race setup- but keeping the inner fenders intact.

it definatly can be done without removing the inner fenders , I have done it 

Silver R/T

so can you lower front of the car with AlterKtion like you could with T-bars?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 20, 2005, 07:04:33 PM
so can you lower front of the car with AlterKtion like you could with T-bars?

Yes.

Everyting on it is designed to be adjustable.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Silver R/T

how? I could imagine you would need different springs to have it lowered. Do they carry different height springs?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Silver R/T on November 20, 2005, 11:55:26 PM
how? I could imagine you would need different springs to have it lowered. Do they carry different height springs?

"Adjustable coil-over shocks replace the torsion bar system..."

The coilovers themselves are height adjustable from my understanding.

Don't know enough about the system to say for sure, that's my take.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Chryco Psycho

there is a threaded collar on the outside of the shock body to allow height adjustment on a coil over