News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front coil over conversion??

Started by professor-patrick, October 05, 2005, 12:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor-patrick

Anyone know of, or done a front coilover conversion to get rid of the torsion bars?  Does anyone make a kit for this?  Thanks.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

Brock Samson

See the Boyd's building a Mopar thread on Gen. Disc. On the show they show the inital fitting which "looks" to be a snap...
I've been to Magnum Force and I'd love to have them go to town on my ride..  :yesnod:

I'm taking donations...  ;D

Chryco Psycho

I would Only recommend Magnum force for track use , the only street setup that is decent is Alter-K-Tion
basicallt the front frame is not designed to support coilovers & will twist , you may need to ruan a traingualr bar over the engine to stifen the suspension/ frame enough 

Ghoste

As a rule then CP, you prefer to stick with the t bar setup on our cars?

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

CFMopar

Torsion bars arnt the disadvantage they used to be with all the new ones to choose from MP.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

NorwayCharger

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 08, 2005, 01:45:22 AM
whats alter-k-tion site address?

www.reillymotorsports.com
Bill Reilly is a GREAT guy making quality stuff

And it looks like this ;)
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Ghoste

I agree with Thread Marshall.  In fact, for many applications they can be an advantage.

Blown70

Quote from: Ghoste on October 08, 2005, 06:35:42 AM
I agree with Thread Marshall.   In fact, for many applications they can be an advantage.

I agree with you all as well The only reason I cannot is I would have to get innter fenders front unibody.  The cross frame etc.  I am actually going with an ALSTON chassis works front end on mine..... Only one that will work reasonably

The one above is the otherone I did see.... To mee they will work maybe slightly better than the link I left.  I could not find them as I was on a differnt computer.

phat69charger

Steve P.

I have looked into the ALTER-K-TION and love it.. Also watched one in action at the Mopars At The Strip last spring....   No tire deflection or shaky front wheels on impact.. Bill did all his homework on this one and it is not only super strong, it is much lighter than your stock set up..

Did I mention all the ROOM gained with the Alter-K-tion??? Or that it uses a rack and pinion instead of the heavy mopar monster????

Both thumbs way up for Alter-K-Tion........... :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Oh, don't misunderstand me Steve.  I am by no means implying that the stock setup is superior.  I just think that the torsion bar is not the limitation some would make it out to be.  For a some applications, I even think it could be an advantage.  If I were building a drag car, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money for the aftermarket unit at all.

phat69charger

RallyeMike

I still havnt figured out why people want to do this. If youre building an all-out drag car, an Alston-style set up is the way to go.  Seems like an awful lot of money just to get rack and pinion steering and save a few pounds. T-bars suspensions have definite advantages and are one of the cool things that sets Mopar's apart from brands X and F$%!. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Steve P.

It's way more than a FEW POUNDS. Depending on what you are replacing, (power or not), you could be talking 150 lbs....  That's a bunch.. Also the room you gain under the block for a rear sump oil pan and better room for headers.. No wheel flare when you launch and land. I think it's a hell of a deal if you have the money and have the need..

To drop 150#s and go with a better oil pan is enough reason for a drag racer.. Your 7 qt. pan that hangs below the factory K would be 2 inches higher at the same capacity.. That's a good enough reason..

Don't get me wrong. Mopar made a hell of a system with the t-bars. But,,, what's to say something can't be better??

PS. I don't remember who makes it now, but there is another tubular K being made that is all round tube.. I hear they are junk.. Too thin and badly welded..  Neil may remember. We discused this a while back..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste

Why would anyone market a control arm made of tubing that was too thin?

(that's just a rhetorical question by the way)

Chryco Psycho

I tend agree with Mike , the K frame weighes almost nothing , but does limit oil pan clearance , I far prefer the T bars , they are adjustable & it puts the weight in the best possible location [low & in the center of the car ] , the Alter - K - tion has no provision for a sway bar but is a decent system

NorwayCharger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 09, 2005, 01:26:02 AM
I tend agree with Mike , the K frame weighes almost nothing , but does limit oil pan clearance , I far prefer the T bars , they are adjustable & it puts the weight in the best possible location [low & in the center of the car ] , the Alter - K - tion has no provision for a sway bar but is a decent system

Hmmm, the Alterktion system uses adjustable coilovers, and you could have it with swaybar if you want..
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

Blown70

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 08, 2005, 09:39:30 PM
I still havnt figured out why people want to do this. If youre building an all-out drag car, an Alston-style set up is the way to go.   Seems like an awful lot of money just to get rack and pinion steering and save a few pounds. T-bars suspensions have definite advantages and are one of the cool things that sets Mopar's apart from brands X and F$%!.  

Well if this IS directed at me I have NO CHOICE.   Other than to sell or scrap the car.  I traded a guy for this car and was already done.  I want to drive it on the street.  Tell me PLEASE what other option DO I HAVE?

I would have rather not be going through the work TRUST ME......  I also do need to oil pan space but again.... I am only working with what I have.

BLOWN70

CFMopar

If you could get a sway bar on it as it appears you can. Then you could probley get some handling benifits out of it aswell. I would like one but the cost to benift ratio is not good enough for be to justify one just now. Down the road when I get more money maybe. But now... meh rather get a keisler 5 speed swap.

Steve P.

Don't worry Blown,, you are going to love it....   :yesnod:   Many people STILL don't like injection.. Look how long it took for people to except turbo's!!   Now even people on this site drool about putting twin turbo's under the hood...

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

CFMopar

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Ghoste