News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to buy Cosmoline coating ?

Started by Back N Black, January 20, 2008, 09:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Anyone know wher to pick up the coating to cover the lower control arms?

Ghoste

Is there an industrial supply place near where you live?

OttawaCharger

here's Troys attempt to immitate the look of cosmoline if you're interested:
http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=34247&sid=5ba0762ce4e04db524168249985a2066

Looks pretty good in my opinion.   :yesnod:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

bill440rt

I used Eastwood's Heavy-Duty Anti Rust on my lower control arms, which appears to be Cosmoline in a spray can. It's gold in color, & stays "waxy" like Cosmoline. It took several coats to get that dark golden color, but they came out great & still look good.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

68RT4ME

Quote from: bill440rt on January 22, 2008, 08:44:07 AM
I used Eastwood's Heavy-Duty Anti Rust on my lower control arms, which appears to be Cosmoline in a spray can. It's gold in color, & stays "waxy" like Cosmoline. It took several coats to get that dark golden color, but they came out great & still look good.

Is the finish tacky to the touch? I've heard that it is and collects dirt. I'm getting ready to do my control arms too. BTW, Troy's thread is very good too.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

bill440rt

Quote from: 68RT4ME on January 22, 2008, 11:36:39 AM

Is the finish tacky to the touch? I've heard that it is and collects dirt. I'm getting ready to do my control arms too. BTW, Troy's thread is very good too.

After a number of years (at this point it's about 10 years), they still feel somewhat waxy, although they are a little "drier" than when they were first refinished. Cosmoline is the same way, it always stays tacky. I'm just careful when cleaning the underside of the car not to disturb it too much.
I did the same thing on my '68, which is driven much more. They get dirtier because the car is used more. If keeping them clean is a major concern for you, then you might want to go with paint. Or, as mentioned in Troy's thread, clear them with a matte clear. However, I'm not sure how clear is gonna hold up over a waxy film like Cosmoline.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

daytonalo

Has anyone tried to buy that Krylon battery protector from True -Value yet ? I know when I ask for it they will thinking I'm smoking crack

Larry

hemigeno

Old topic I know, but I did find a place that sells (makes?) the stuff Back N Black was looking for:

http://www.schafco.com/cosmoline.asp

maxwellwedge

:iagree:

That is the stuff I have used for years - It is actually more correct looking than their Cosmoline stuff. If you do many light coats to get the color you want the stuff dries better.

qwick68

68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE