News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

vinyl dye, what to use?

Started by Ryan, January 21, 2008, 11:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Hi, so I have a green 69 dash upper dash pad in perfect shape, I need to due it black. What should I use? The local auto body supplier has SEM spray vinyl dye, is that good stuff? Or should I use somthing else?
    Thanks
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

JimShine

That is really good stuff. I suggest buying the vinyl prep as well. It will make the dye adhere better and will last longer.

BRS

I use "Plastic-kote" flat black (#405). I've used it for years and never had a problem with it.

Back N Black

SEM is the only dye that i will use, it is the best one that i have found so far. :cheers:

hutch

Quote from: Back N Black on January 22, 2008, 06:31:19 AM
SEM is the only dye that i will use, it is the best one that i have found so far. :cheers:

SEM makes trim, seats and carpet look like new.  I have flipped tan to black with no issue and it looks like stock.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

JrJohnston

Quote from: Ryan on January 21, 2008, 11:29:00 PM
Hi, so I have a green 69 dash upper dash pad in perfect shape, I need to due it black. What should I use? The local auto body supplier has SEM spray vinyl dye, is that good stuff? Or should I use somthing else?
    Thanks

SEM's Landau Black.
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

bill440rt

SEM's black dye is very good, & the use of some kind of vinyl adhesion promoter is necessary when doing any kind of vinyl refinishing. It is conveniently available in spray cans.

If you have access to a spray gun, PPG's Vinyl Color is EXCELLENT as well. I like it better then SEM's. DuPont's Vinyl Color is good, but I would only use it on hard plastic items like kick panels & consoles.

Also, & not to hijack this thread, but does SEM have a vinyl dye in WHITE that is close to the Mopar white interiors (aka Spinnaker White)? I have to dye several black pieces white, & not sure how it will cover. PPG's is good, but I only have a few small pieces to do & don't want to purchase a quart of dye if I don't have to.
Any suggestions?  :shruggy:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

2harleyriders

Has anybody used the autozone duplicolor primer/dye?
Thats how I roll.

1969chargerrtse

On the dye issue.  Back in the 80's I owned a 318 green charger with a green top and Green interior.  I dyed the top and complete interior with black dye in cans and it looked great and lasted for years, until the kid I sold it to flipped it over.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

JrJohnston

Quote from: 2harleyriders on January 22, 2008, 09:39:26 PM
Has anybody used the autozone duplicolor primer/dye?

It has too much gloss in it.
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

B5 Charger

SEM makes a white dye called "super white".  It is so close to factory '69 white I can't tell the difference.  Unlike the name it is kind of an off-white like most factory Mopar interiors.  I've done all of my interior dying with it and had excellent results.   :2thumbs:

68charger383

Does SEM making anything close to Med Blue Metallic for a 68. Looking to freshen up the trim in my car.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Mike DC

You can actually buy raw SEM vinyl color in cans and custom-mix the colors to shoot them through a paint gun if you want. 

If you're trying to match something specific then I would look into it.  Doing it through SEM is probably no more work than just doing the job with a "legit" auto body paint company's vinyl dye product.  And the SEM stuff works better any of the vinyl stuff I've tried from DuPoint or PPG.

bill440rt

Quote from: B5 Charger on February 02, 2008, 01:32:14 PM
SEM makes a white dye called "super white".  It is so close to factory '69 white I can't tell the difference.  Unlike the name it is kind of an off-white like most factory Mopar interiors.  I've done all of my interior dying with it and had excellent results.   :2thumbs:

Hey B5 Charger, THANKS!!   :2thumbs:

That sounds perfect! I'm gonna get a can soon & try some out on a few test panels to check for color match.
Awesome!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JimShine

I bought SEM in a quart one time. It was actually alot cheaper than buying it in aerosols when you figure how much dye you get. You can buy a preval unit nd still spray in aerosol and save a ton of money.