News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting over to Power Windows

Started by DC_1, September 03, 2005, 09:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

Has anyone converted from window cranks to power windows? Is it difficult? Do I just need the motors and switches or are :eyes: there other things.

Thanks

KMPX2

Door panels will be different. All the wireing. Plus all the holes you will need to drill.

DC_1

I need new door panels anyway.....the car is currently being stripped to shell state for blasting so I will be rewireing anyway. Anything else I need to be aware of?

RD

they have aftermarket kits available for this, check MM magazine.

if you are doing a stock/OEM conversion, you will need (or you can jimmy rig your own) the wiring harnesses.  I would say find a car that has power windows that is shot and steal the doors off of it and just use that one.  BTW, which year you looking for?  I have a set for a 3rd gen that I may sell.  Sorry for the plug Troy :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

DC_1

It will be a 69 that I want to convert

jaak

Theres an aftermarket kit, cost about 300 bucks for everything, it even had the small bosch motors like in late model cars

Mfr426

Having power windows in my 69 Charger SE and having spent MANY MANY hours getting them to work right (stock), I would suggest an aftermarket kit. The original motors and switches seem to me to be termpermental at best. The switches are prone to fail too and getting a working complete set will be pricey on eBay.  I spent about $200 getting my complete set (had one already but wanted nicer switches). I think the doors have the holes in them from the factory to accept the motors too but will let a "pro" say for sure. I also got stock door panels from YO (Legendary). They have an area that is perforated on the back to cut out for the switches. The holes were pretty much right on too(thankfully). The wiring harness end is also an area that is prone to problems. The contacts that press/hook onto the switch posts can get stretched out and not make good contact. Also, the plastic that the contacts "sit in" are likely to pop open after some time and then the window stops working forcing you to pull the door panel to fix (not something that you want to do more than once). I actually put glue in mine to keep them closed.

When all is said and done I would do the aftermarket kit unless you absolutely have to keep it stock.

Just my thoughts.

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger SE 383

Mr_fixit

I put some on a 73 charger. I had all the factory parts , so it went well.   except cutting the holes for the wiring in the doors. On these, the switches fit where the cranks go, so you can use the existing door panels.

Ghoste

Aren't the new aftermarket ones supposed to be ultra lightweight as well?  That's never a bad thing in a car that's already crowding the two ton mark.

68ChargerJMP

ElectricLife carries direct bolt in kits for Chargers .

phat69charger