News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight Vacuum Pod Restored-Pics Included...

Started by Mfr426, October 05, 2005, 08:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Well folks I finally finished restoring the headlight vacuum pods and brackets on my 69. I struggled with how to accurately reproduce the cadmium look of the rods and pods. They were clearly a cadmium type of finish originally and I wanted to try to get it to look close to the way it did from the factory. I ended up using Eastwood cast gray and a gold paint that I got from a car show over the summer.

I made a few test attempts on some scrap metal and ended up painting the pods first with the gray and then holding the gold paint can about 2 feet from the pad and lightly misting the pod. I did the same with the rods. I think it turned out pretty good. The way the light hits the gold misting makes it look like the original finish (I think).

Just thought I'd share some pics. Thanks for the ideas folks!

Mike R in Reading PA

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

8WHEELER

OK great, you got my set done thanks a million, now you can start on your own set   :smilielol: :smilielol:

Looks Great

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mfr426

8Wheeler...I'll get the right in the mail to you...

:)

Thanks for the comments guys!

Mike R in Reading.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike, I believe the clip that holds the rod to the actuator should be semi-gloss black and the screw black phosphate.
I like the goldish look!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Hey Chris, thanks for the comments. I pulled the headlight assembly off and inspected it very closely before I started the restoration. On my car the assembly was untouched and original and those clips were either natural or cadmium. I couldnt tell for sure. Here's a pic of my original assembly.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mopars are like a box of chocolates.....you never know what you are going to get!! :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

AirborneSilva

Great work  :2thumbs: how many hours you figure you have in em?

Mfr426

I'd guess that I have about 4-5 hours into this work so far. I did sub out the sand blasting though. I have yet to do the actual grill and would think that that portion of the project will take a bit longer.

Good luck!

Mike R in Reading PA