News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Free parts, you pay shipping. What do you think?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, January 27, 2008, 11:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I have parts that I don't care to list on ebay to resell.  I would like to "give" them to someone in need.  You pay a fair shipping price for packing and time , like 5.00 or whatever.  What do you guys think about starting a whole subject on this?  Sometimes when I get repro parts that come in pairs and I only need one item, why not offer the other part for free?  You would list what you have and what you need for shipping.  I would also like to see the option that the seller could remove the thread when the item is no longer available.  I would love to see a subject on this, what do you guys think?  Obviously it would have to be ok'd by Troy and the moderators?  :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

dodgecharger-fan

It works when the right people are involved.
I and a bunch of others do it all the time, but on a more casual basis and we sort of all know each other pretty well. "You need? I got. Send me your address."

I like the idea. I could see it working on this board for the most part.
Perhaps some sort of guidelines like they use for FreeCycle groups would help: http://www.freecycle.org/
and ultimately, the decision is up to the giver and there should be no hard feelings if you miss out on a freebie.

General_01

I don't think it would work well. Sometimes people try to offset there restoration costs by selling extra parts they had to buy because they could only get it if they bought two or more. I think that if you want to give something away, that is your right. Post it in the for sale section and tell people they only need to pay for shipping. I am like dodgecharger-fan. I would do it with people I hang out with regularly and know personally.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Dans 68

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on January 27, 2008, 11:55:02 AM
I have parts that I don't care to list on ebay to resell.  I would like to "give" them to someone in need.  You pay a fair shipping price for packing and time , like 5.00 or whatever.  What do you guys think about starting a whole subject on this?  Sometimes when I get repro parts that come in pairs and I only need one item, why not offer the other part for free?  You would list what you have and what you need for shipping.  I would also like to see the option that the seller could remove the thread when the item is no longer available.  I would love to see a subject on this, what do you guys think?  Obviously it would have to be ok'd by Troy and the moderators?  :shruggy:

Just go ahead and post it in the for sale section. It is up to you whom you sell to and for how much. Just get the money first...always!  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

High Impact

I've thought of doing the same thing so that the stuff I wont ever use dont got to the land fill.

dukeboy_318

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on January 27, 2008, 12:32:22 PM
It works when the right people are involved.
I and a bunch of others do it all the time, but on a more casual basis and we sort of all know each other pretty well. "You need? I got. Send me your address."

I like the idea. I could see it working on this board for the most part.
Perhaps some sort of guidelines like they use for FreeCycle groups would help: http://www.freecycle.org/
and ultimately, the decision is up to the giver and there should be no hard feelings if you miss out on a freebie.

:iagree:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Troy

Ok, here's my take on this...

yeah, it's a great idea and a very nice thing to do. My thought is that I could make a special section like the Trade/Swap/Free section on Moparts. My only issue is that their traffic/posts far outnumbers ours yet it's a very slow section even there. So, does it really make sense to create a new section for the few times that it would be useful? I don't know but I doubt it. Maybe we can try it for a while?

As for deleting your own threads - it will never happen. The only way it might be possible is if no one else could respond because, otherwise, you'd need permission to delete someone else's posts. We've covered this topic before.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

472 R/T SE

What I've done or do is if someone mentions needing something I PM them that I have it and if they pay shipping they can have it.

If they want to pay me I usually tell them to give whatever they feel comfortable with to Troy or Chris @ the '70 Registry.   :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Troy on January 27, 2008, 10:31:17 PM
Ok, here's my take on this...

yeah, it's a great idea and a very nice thing to do. My thought is that I could make a special section like the Trade/Swap/Free section on Moparts. My only issue is that their traffic/posts far outnumbers ours yet it's a very slow section even there. So, does it really make sense to create a new section for the few times that it would be useful? I don't know but I doubt it. Maybe we can try it for a while?

As for deleting your own threads - it will never happen. The only way it might be possible is if no one else could respond because, otherwise, you'd need permission to delete someone else's posts. We've covered this topic before.

Troy

O.K I have another idea.  How about a section titled "Wanted for free, I'll pay shipping"  and a person can list what they hope someone out there would be kind enough to give out with just a shipping cost.
Instead of someone listing what they have and getting slammed.  A person can list what they need with it being known for a shipping only price.  This way here the person with the part can Pm the person he feels he would like to help?  :shruggy:  Right below the "Parts wanted" section. "Parts wanted for free"
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69bronzeT5

Good idea Rob. You shoulda told me, I would of paid shipping for those parts you sent me. I agree with what General_01 said, if you send somebody parts for free, they could just sell it where as me, I use everything I get. :yesnod: and if I dont need it, then I hold onto it incase something happens with the other part.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Chris G.

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 26, 2008, 01:16:20 AM
I use everything I get. :yesnod:

Hmmm, how about I send you a pair of mittens? Will that slow you down on the keyboard, or will you just cut holes in them to reply?  :chatting:  :P

ps- My B-Day is in April...I am so looking forward to your thread about it.  :angelwing:

69bronzeT5

:smilielol: I meant parts :P

And yes, you will get a thread :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

Quote from: Chris G. on February 26, 2008, 05:07:50 AM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 26, 2008, 01:16:20 AM
I use everything I get. :yesnod:

Hmmm, how about I send you a pair of mittens? Will that slow you down on the keyboard, or will you just cut holes in them to reply?  :chatting:  :P

ps- My B-Day is in April...I am so looking forward to your thread about it.  :angelwing:

now that was funny and I don't care who you are...  :smilielol:

69bronzeT5