News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$2000 daytona kit.

Started by BigBlockSam, January 29, 2008, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

i've heard good and bad about show car parts. if someone out there HAS used them before  maybe you can tell us what you thought of them.
this auction  has most of the parts . Rene

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-DAYTONA-NOSE-CONE-WING-AND-FENDER-SCOOPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ140711QQihZ010QQitemZ200196300590QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

UFO

I have their nose cone and headlight door parts.You do have to massage some pcs and some you use as a pattern then they become target practice.
A buddy did buy the whole pkge a few years back.The studs on the wing uprights were very crooked.
More than likely a worker issue.The ones in the ad look pretty straight.

UFO

This car was built with their parts.
A bracket had to be made and bonded in for the z bracket to bolt to.

moparstuart

wow love the color of your car     was it a red 70 before?????
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

UFO

Its not my car.It started as a '69 was just in primer when the transformation began.

moparstuart

Quote from: UFO on January 29, 2008, 08:02:32 PM
Its not my car.It started as a '69 was just in primer when the transformation began.
I really do love that car
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

thats a great looking car. those parts don't look bad to me.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

daytonalo

They actually look much better than Stinger kit !! Has anyone ever compared the Stinger vs Showcars side by side ???That Z-brace tab looks welded in , but he nose is F/G ??? How is the fit to fenders ?? The stinger kit is a mess as far as fitting , to bad Artie couldn't have spend a little more time to get it right

hotrod98

Appears that the aluminum vertical tab is welded to a radiused aluminum piece and the radiused piece is bonded to the fiberglass. That's exactly the way that I plan to build them...eventually. I'll also drill a few holes on the radiused piece and let the bonding adhesive seep through to help lock the piece on.
I don't think that there's a better way to do it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

UFO

Quote from: daytonalo on January 30, 2008, 08:14:21 AM
They actually look much better than Stinger kit !! Has anyone ever compared the Stinger vs Showcars side by side ???That Z-brace tab looks welded in , but he nose is F/G ??? How is the fit to fenders ?? The stinger kit is a mess as far as fitting , to bad Artie couldn't have spend a little more time to get it right
What the matter man Don't you know how to weld fiberglass?
Actually its two pcs,with the second being bonded to the nose.
When I made that pce for my car,I countersunk some screws as well as glassing it in.

chargerman68

is i a good kit for just a show and drive car nothing speical...
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

nakita7

Where were the z-brackets from?

wetfeetmi

I can fill you in a little on Showcars.  Back when I had my first Daytona parts collection, I was frustrated with the amount of time and money it took to get everything together. I saw an ad for Showcars on the internet regarding Daytona pieces in fiberglass. I contacted them and they had practically nothing on hand. I struck a deal and drove to Missisauga Ontario with all my parts on a Friday about 4 years ago. They made molds and gave me the first copies as payment for my trouble all in one weekend as well as putting me and my wife in a hotel in Toronto  for two nights.  Most of my parts were from Janek, so Showcars parts are from copies of copies from original steel parts. True story...Rick

UFO

Quote from: nakita7 on January 31, 2008, 02:31:17 AM

Where were the z-brackets from?
Showcars as well.

nascarxx29

I know in the case of Teds Daytona noses He had access back in the day to a NOS nose.His superbird parts came from a very low mileage 6 pack rear ended damaged superbird.I sold him for parts
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

i remember Tabor said that the nose fit the contours of the fenders well but he had problems with the headlight doors. Rene

1meanfish

I'm thinking about ordering this kit but wanted to know where to get the headlight buckets, doors and if anyone knows what else this kit would need to be functional? I'm building a Prostreet clone so originality is not a concern. The most economical, easiest and lightest route is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

daytonalo

Just a tip , Economical and easy never apply to building a Daytona !!!!!!!!1 :icon_smile_big:

66chargerkid

If wing cars were easy we'd all have variations

A383Wing

Quote from: daytonalo on February 05, 2008, 01:29:40 AM
Just a tip , Economical and easy never apply to building a Daytona !!!!!!!!1 :icon_smile_big:

:iagree:

BigBlockSam

1meanfish

I'm not arguing that point, I guess the point I was trying to make is for my application I don't need a $7000 "factory correct" steel nose that is absolutely perfect. Let me rephrase...I'm trying to figure out the "MOST" economical route to accomplish my goal with the least amount of headaches that can be completed in least amount of time.  :scratchchin: ;D

My goal, a radical prostreet Daytona replica that I can drive on the street from time to time, drive to and from the track and run in the mid to high 7's in the 1/4. I have a '69 GTX drag car that runs 8.77's that I'm tired of trailering around, I want this car to go faster than my GTX but I want to be able to drive it on the street and of course turn more heads. Then I can sell the GTX.

For example, as much as I'd like to have functional headlights, I'm thinking of doing a setup like the one advertised on Stingers website. This would save a lot of time, headache, money etc. I'm running an all aluminum 572 Hemi with an F3 Procharger pumping out 30+ lbs of boost,  I'd have to run a vacume pump to opererate the headlights any way unless there's a good electrical alternative. That's the kind of choices I'm wondering is available for my type of project.  ;)

http://www.stingerfiberglass.com/products/daytona/headlights/index.shtml

BigBlockSam

look at that.  :shruggy: thats thnking outside the box . how do you keep the headlight doors on during the day. maybe velcro?  they look good . just not correct.

hotrod98

High horsepower = high temps
Daytona nose = limited air flow

I figure that's why Ron Jenkins doesn't run a hood on his pro street daytona. May keep the engine a little cooler at idle. The key is going to be a premium aluminum radiator, efficient electric fans and well engineered ducting to direct as much air as possible through the radiator.

Can't wait to see this project finished.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams