News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just got screwed (non-sexual)

Started by FastbackJon, October 06, 2005, 03:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastbackJon

Was driving through a small town in June in my '74 Dart Swinger with my seat belt on and stopped at a stoplight behind a few other cars. I took it off to change my CD (that is mounted under the passenger's dash since I didn't want to cut the dash up). As I go to put it back on a cop pulls along side me in the turn lane and eyes me carefully as I finish buckling it. My light turns green and I go past him, but he pulls in behind me and pulls me over. Asks why I wasn't wearing the belt, and I say that it isn't illegal to have it off in a parked car.

Because the law states under RCW 46.61.688:

(3) Every person sixteen years of age or older operating or riding in a motor vehicle shall wear the safety belt assembly in a properly adjusted and securely fastened manner.

Well he writes the ticket anyway. And I just went to court over it. I said exactly what I said here, that I was not operating the vehicle at the time of my belt being off, I was parked at a stoplight and not moving. The judge disagreed and said that anytime I am on a public road, whether the car is moving or not, that constitutes "operating a motor vehicle" and therefore it is illegal to take my seatbelt off. I can't believe it, $116 out of my pocket for such a stupid thing as that.

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

psykicpup

if they want to be anal its the same law here too
Sorry to hear you got stung tho
maybe if you had been 'parked'????rather than stopped at a light???
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

andy74

that sucks - i had a talking on the cell phone ticket last year,same situation,middle of no where,stopped at   a stop sign.police man gave me a ticket,because i was "in control of my vehicle"i didnt want to argue with him,figured i wouldnt win,and sent a letter to the district attorney,who saw reason and let me off with a warning,sorry about your luck

Dale The Bold

I got a fine for an "illegal U-turn" one time when I stopped to check my stinky Grand Am since the ABS light came on.  Turns out, the wheels locked up and I very slowly slid across the road (It was extremely icy, middle of December at 1:00 AM).  The sheriff pulled me over and gave me a ticket, completely ignoring my explanation.  Then acted shocked when I asked him how I can turn around without getting another fine.

Had I been going fast, he would have seen it was a slide and not a "turn."  The DA smoked the same crack and insisted I pay off the badged thief.  Crooked cops, one is worse than a 1,000 criminals.

They got you on a technicality, though.  For me, they had to lie, cheat, and steal, strutting around like a bunch of roosters.  Shame on all the cops who allow fellow cops to be so crooked.  It's a disgrace.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Charger4404spd

Same law here, but the bastards dont care if you live or die, its a money thing. In fact, alot of stupid laws are a money thing. Frankly, it should be a personal choice. I do wear mine, but not because "ITS THE LAW"

Ponch ®

Quote from: FastbackJon on October 06, 2005, 03:02:23 PM
Was driving through a small town in June in my '74 Dart Swinger with my seat belt on and stopped at a stoplight behind a few other cars. I took it off to change my CD (that is mounted under the passenger's dash since I didn't want to cut the dash up). As I go to put it back on a cop pulls along side me in the turn lane and eyes me carefully as I finish buckling it. My light turns green and I go past him, but he pulls in behind me and pulls me over. Asks why I wasn't wearing the belt, and I say that it isn't illegal to have it off in a parked car.

Because the law states under RCW 46.61.688:

(3) Every person sixteen years of age or older operating or riding in a motor vehicle shall wear the safety belt assembly in a properly adjusted and securely fastened manner.

Well he writes the ticket anyway. And I just went to court over it. I said exactly what I said here, that I was not operating the vehicle at the time of my belt being off, I was parked at a stoplight and not moving. The judge disagreed and said that anytime I am on a public road, whether the car is moving or not, that constitutes "operating a motor vehicle" and therefore it is illegal to take my seatbelt off. I can't believe it, $116 out of my pocket for such a stupid thing as that.

how exactly did you get screwed? the judge and the cop are right, you were on a public road (not parked) with your car running. What if you get rear ended while waiting for the stoplight to change? What if for some reason you took off your foot off the break and hit another car...or worse, a pedestrian? That's his point when he tells you you were on a public road. 

Whether or not seatbelt laws are right or wrong are the subject of a different thread, but the fact is that you did not comply with the law.

Why not just admit that you were wrong instead of whining about "getting screwed"?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ponch ®

Quote from: Charger4404spd on October 06, 2005, 04:19:44 PM
Same law here, but the bastards dont care if you live or die, its a money thing. In fact, alot of stupid laws are a money thing. Frankly, it should be a personal choice. I do wear mine, but not because "ITS THE LAW"

whatever the reason...the "bastards" are just doing their job. It is your responsibility to know the rules and regulations when youre driving.

I recently got a ticket for having a loud exhaust. Im not calling the cop a bastard...in his estimation it is too loud. It is up to me to get it tested and make sure that it complies with the vehicle code.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Drache

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Mojo/Ponch. Although we might not like the laws that we have, alot of them are here not only for your safety, but for the safety of the people around you. Some like the loud exhaust are kinda silly but those are mainly bylaws that are different from every location.

You were in a running vehicle and you were still on the road. You were not "parked at a stop sign" as you put it. I'm not saying you're bitching because I would be kinda piffed about taking it off just for a sec just to reach the CD player or to reach the glove compartment.

You were not screwed in anyway. If you were charged double the normal ticket or if you never took off your seatbelt and were still fined then I would call that being screwed. Take Dale The Bold's story... if what he says is the absolute truth (not saying it isnt) then HE was screwed lol.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Charger4404spd

Quote from: Ponch on October 06, 2005, 04:30:12 PM

whatever the reason...the "bastards" are just doing their job. It is your responsibility to know the rules and regulations when youre driving.

I recently got a ticket for having a loud exhaust. Im not calling the cop a bastard...in his estimation it is too loud. It is up to me to get it tested and make sure that it complies with the vehicle code.

Guess I need to clarify what I said. The "Bastards" I was talking about is the JUSTICE SYSTEM as a whole. I meant no disrespect to our police officers.
I know the officers have to enforce the "LAWS", but I will say again, there are alot of laws meant only to collect revenue.

Ponch ®

and yes, I do find a certain amount of humor in the fact that I'm lecturing you about rules of the road and the law in light of my current screen name and pic.  ;D

RD

man.... i thought this thread was to state that you and silver r/t finally hooked up!

:D :D :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

moparjohn

In New Jersey I just found out that there is a law that you can't flash you high beems to get a slow poke out of the fast lane (or warn oncomming traffic of a cop 's speed trap!)   How are you supposed to get the left lane dick out of your way?   Blow your horn? or are you just suposed to sit behind him for 4-5 miles until (if your lucky) he pulls over to the slow lane where he belongs.   I have a major problem with this where I live because Pensylvania is only 9 miles away and those people REFUSE to keep right except to pass, which means if you are not actively passing a person in the slow lane you should be in it. That is my pet peve and I'm sure that's were road rage begins. Then some a-hole will call me an agreesive driver. I see it every day some slow poke doing 45-50 maybe 55 in a 55 where traffic flows at 60. RANT OVER
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

nh_mopar_fan

We don't have a mandatory seat belt law in NH for anyone over 16.

I think the motto they have on the highway is somtheing like "Under 16 buckle up, common sense for all".

They just went through this is Mass a few years ago. It was voted down multiple times but they kept bringing it back again and again.

One of the arguments against it was that while the law as written would've made it a secondary offense, that is, you couldn't get pulled over for not wearing a sealt belt but if they pulled you over for something else, they could tack it on, it eventually would be made a primary offense.

The people pushing the bill claimed that would never happen.

Two years later, guess what. It's a primary offense!

The other argument was that there would come a day that the insurance company could refuse to cover you if you were not wearing your seat belt during an accident.  That's not that far of a stretch when you realize that the liberal do-gooders who want to be your mommy and daddy were being backed by some pretty big insurance $$.

We'll see.

In the meantime, I always wear my seatbelt, both in NH and in Mass. I don't need the government to legislate common sense to me. I certainly don't need to give them a reason to intrude into my life any more than they already are.

Old Moparz

It must have been racial profiling.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

FastbackJon

Did I also mention that I have a medical exemption that the judge would not accept it because it is from out of state? Even though we have no law that says the medical exemption needs to be from in the state. Oregon is the only state with that rule that the medical excemption to be from within the state.

The judge should not be allowed to make his own additional rules for people to have to follow, like not allowing my out of state exemption, even after he and the clerk verified the information. That kind of thing should be highly illegal and he should get in trouble for that.

I shouldn't have to pay an additional $140 to appeal it and prove him wrong.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Shakey

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on October 06, 2005, 09:06:33 PM

Do the license plates in New Hampshire still read:

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Mopar440+6

I wont even get into my recent run in with one of the local boys. All I can say is thank God my mom works for a very good criminal lawyer because reckless driving isnt something I want permanently on my record...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

bull

Quote from: Ponch on October 06, 2005, 05:10:43 PM
and yes, I do find a certain amount of humor in the fact that I'm lecturing you about rules of the road and the law in light of my current screen name and pic.   ;D

Good to see you finally came around to my way of thinking. Now if only Vain would change his username to Jon Baker and put this picture under his name we'd have a matched set.

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: Shakey on October 06, 2005, 10:54:13 PM
Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on October 06, 2005, 09:06:33 PM

Do the license plates in New Hampshire still read:

LIVE FREE OR DIE

They sure do. But, we do have some transplants moving in who have been known to cover the phrase with black tape. Apparently, it's offensive to them.

Drop Top

Lesson Learned? Always look around to if there are any officers in the area before you unbuckle your belt.  :devil:

In my mind. The seat belt law and the helmet law is a BS law. Its an invasion of privacy. I don't think we should be forced to wear them. It would help to get rid of some of the not so sharp people we have on the road now days.  :icon_smile_dead: Honestly, I used them before they became a law and made my children use them also. But like was stated before I use them because I want to. Not because its the law.

nh_mopar_fan

We don't have a mandatory helmet law either.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: moparjohn on October 06, 2005, 08:52:01 PM
In New Jersey I just found out that there is a law that you can't flash you high beems to get a slow poke out of the fast lane (or warn oncomming traffic of a cop 's speed trap!)     

This is unenforceable. 

A few years back, one of the midwestern states tried ticketing drivers who were flashing their headlights at oncoming cars to warn about speed traps.

The ACLU got involved (freedom of speech issues) and they quickly abandoned their little money-making scheme.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

6pkrunner

Officers have discression to use. This sounds like either a guy who had a fight with the wife that morning or trying to make the quota for the month. As good old Mark said "The law is a ass." Seems there are many laws that can be taken out of their intended context and turned into a ass.

Steve P.

I am pretty pissed at a local policeman at the moment myself.. Here's the readers digest version..

Picture this. Two  left turn lanes. I am stopped behind an Explorer in the far left turning lane In front of him at the crosswalk is a motorcycle cop. The light is red and both lanes are full of stopped vehicles. Suddenly I hear a Harley next to me on my right. I look over just in time to see the rear view mirror of his bike hit my passenger side mirror. Then I hear a scratching sound.. The cop is squeezing between the stopped cars and trucks.. I think to myself, (shit), then, (I wonder who they are going after)... About 20 seconds later the arrow turns green and off they go.. No lights. No sirens.... The first cop turns right into a closed up Publix parking lot.. I think to myself, (They aren't going after anyone at all)!!! So I start chasing the cop that hit me. He hauls ass West on SR 54.
(speed limit is 40 mph), I am passing 55 trying to catch him or at least get his vehicle number.. No good.. He pulls a U-turn and hauls ass the other way..   Now I'm pissed!! 

At the next light a guy in a Vette puts down his window and says, (THAT COP NEARLY HIT ME BACK THERE, DID HE HIT YOU)? Yes, I answered. He said pull over and I'll give you my info.. We do..

I call 911 to report this. A policeman that I know pulls up and we go through the entire ordeal. He goes to the radio in his car and reaches their boss.. Tells him the story and NONE of the 5 bike cops are admitting to it.. The boss says,( Ok, I want all the bike cops to meet at the 7-11 at 54 and Seven Springs Rd. for a line up). He then ads, (and this person also has a witness)... Now the lousy basserd owns up to it..  We did all meet at the 7-11 and I was surrounded by no less than 15 cops. I felt like I was the bad guy here.. Now I have no idea what will come of it. 

First the cop ran up between two lanes of traffic on the white line.  ILLEGAL.....
Then he left the scene of an accident. ILLEGAL.......
Then this upstanding pillar of the comunity was willing to let someone else take the fall for it. ASSHOLE.......
Then I'm feeling like I just took the entire police force off the streets for a scratch.. I'm a turd..
Now I don't know what to do.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

gsmopar

I got a "suspicion of speeding ticket" once.  There are good cops, and there are those guys we picked on in Highschool that have something to proove now that they have a badge.  Oh, and I also agree that there are several laws that their sole purpose is to generate revenue. 

Here is one for you:  If the government/laws/the man/whoever was really concerned with safety, all cars would be mechanically limited to the 75mph speed limit.  Instead, we have Photo Radar and speed traps.  Yes, I prefer the later, but don't blow smoke up my butt and say it's for our safety!

TurquoiseRT

Quote from: Steve P. on October 07, 2005, 12:22:48 PM
I am pretty pissed at a local policeman at the moment myself.. Here's the readers digest version..

First the cop ran up between two lanes of traffic on the white line.   ILLEGAL.....
Then this upstanding pillar of the comunity was willing to let someone else take the fall for it. ASSHOLE.......
Then I'm feeling like I just took the entire police force off the streets for a scratch.. I'm a turd..

I would stay off the roads if I were you, I wouldn't even jaywalk!!!!!!!!!

Steve P.

Quote from: TurquoiseRT on October 07, 2005, 02:50:17 PM
Quote from: Steve P. on October 07, 2005, 12:22:48 PM

First the cop ran up between two lanes of traffic on the white line.   ILLEGAL.....

I would stay off the roads if I were you, I wouldn't even jaywalk!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha........  I figure they owe me one.........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

volk68

I got you all beat...I got pulled over for having a key chain string hanging from my rear view mirror.  It is about the size of a thick shoelace and has the Miami Dolphins logo printed all over it.  Trooper Sam Trujillo (a real jerk) actually claims he saw it when I drove by him at 65 mph and pulled me over for it.  His exact words were "You need to take that crap off of there".  He couldn't write me a ticket, but he tied up my life for a good 10 minutes when I was trying to get to work :flame:  He is the same guy who wrote my brother a ticket for 3 mph over the limit and told another guy I know that he had to clean his license plate every morning so that the registration tags are clear (he lives on a dirt road).  Like I said, Trooper Trujillo just sucks  :flame: :flame: :flame:

mustanghater

New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Silver R/T

thats spokane for you, they need every $ they can get and theyre not gonna believe some young kid.."oh I was just changing CD" you know how many excuses like that they get. And legally you have to wear seat belt once you get in the car and start it. this is lots of bs but its the 'law' and you;re such law obiding citizen (fastbackjon) why are you complaining about. "just pay the man" like commercial says.
Same bs would happen if you go 0-35 (speed limit) but real fast, cop pulls you over and even though you went speed limit its considered as excess of speed of whatever they call that bs. Even though in traffic safety ed instructor said to "accelerate up to speed as fast as possible" which doesnt make sense to me. I bet if i did very fast 0-35 mph run on divison st and get pulled over by deputy Dick that excuse wont work for him or neither the judge.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Silver R/T on October 07, 2005, 10:22:05 PM
thats spokane for you, they need every $ they can get and theyre not gonna believe some young kid.."oh I was just changing CD" you know how many excuses like that they get. And legally you have to wear seat belt once you get in the car and start it. this is lots of bs but its the 'law' and you;re such law obiding citizen (fastbackjon) why are you complaining about. "just pay the man" like commercial says.
Same bs would happen if you go 0-35 (speed limit) but real fast, cop pulls you over and even though you went speed limit its considered as excess of speed of whatever they call that bs. Even though in traffic safety ed instructor said to "accelerate up to speed as fast as possible" which doesnt make sense to me. I bet if i did very fast 0-35 mph run on divison st and get pulled over by deputy Dick that excuse wont work for him or neither the judge.

Did this make any sense?

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Vainglory on October 07, 2005, 10:56:05 PM
Quote from: Silver R/T on October 07, 2005, 10:22:05 PM

Did this make any sense?

Makes perfect sense to me...but then...I have about 8 ounces of 18-year-old single-barrel bourbon impairing my judgement.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Silver R/T

Quote from: RD on October 06, 2005, 08:33:55 PM
man.... i thought this thread was to state that you and silver r/t finally hooked up!

:D :D :D

no he likes moms, btw is yours single?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

derailed

Quote from: gsmopar on October 07, 2005, 01:53:08 PM
I got a "suspicion of speeding ticket" once.   There are good cops, and there are those guys we picked on in Highschool that have something to proove now that they have a badge.   Oh, and I also agree that there are several laws that their sole purpose is to generate revenue.  

Here is one for you:   If the government/laws/the man/whoever was really concerned with safety, all cars would be mechanically limited to the 75mph speed limit.   Instead, we have Photo Radar and speed traps.   Yes, I prefer the later, but don't blow smoke up my butt and say it's for our safety!

:iagree:

I also get a kick out of the cell phone law. Its not a bad law but once again should pertain to EVERYONE, not just civilians. I was actually following a Schenectady county cop one day and he was on his cell phone talking and watched him blow right through a red light through a busy intersection and not even realize it. Lucky he didnt hit anyone. That department  doesnt need anymore problems.

myk

Hmm...Guess I better get some seatbelts for the 'Charger...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Lowprofile

Quote from: Ponch on October 06, 2005, 04:30:12 PM

That being said, there's a difference between doing your job & being a dick. And for that matter, who's to say Fastback John didn't get "lippy" with the officer. Its always a fifty-fifty crapshoot when you get pulled over. :rotz:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

FastbackJon

I think cops need tracking devices in their cars, so that way they would be less able to lie about where they were and what they saw.

The cop that wrote me the belt ticket also wrote on there that he first saw me as he was travelling the other direction on the roadway. You would think that when he first saw me with no belt, would be when he would decide to pull me over.

So if that were true (and he did see me driving with no belt), he would have had the intention of pulling me over in the first place. He wouldn't have passed me in the left turn lane at the stop light (I was going stragiht) with his left turn blinker on, then noticed me as he passed me, then he stopped ahead of me, and THEN decided to pull me over and put his right turn blinker on to get back in traffic.

FastbackJon

One more thing, our washington state seat belt law also states that:

(2) This section only applies to motor vehicles that meet the manual seat belt safety standards as set forth in federal motor vehicle safety standard 208 and to neighborhood electric vehicles. This section does not apply to a vehicle occupant for whom no safety belt is available when all designated seating positions as required by federal motor vehicle safety standard 208 are occupied.

So what if my vehicle doesn't meet the manual seat belt safety standards as set forth in federal motor vehicle safety standard 208? Then all the seat belt laws do not apply to me. So they should have to prove that my vehicle conforms to those standards, to be able to fine me for not wearing my seat belt, rather than just assuming it does.

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

67_Dodge_Charger

Hey Jon
maybe his brother works for DCX :icon_smile_big:

You are famous for your collection of real Chargers.

Robert

FastbackJon

jaak

dude that sucks,  seatbelt tickets in Alabama are 25 bucks if issued by trooper, 10 if by local/ city cops (if you pay them before your court date)
I know because I have got 2-25 tickets and 4-10 tickets so far.