News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 dodge charger 500 with 440 motor on AZ craigslist

Started by petercharger, February 09, 2008, 03:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Not a certified appraiser, but definately someone who follows the 500's. And if you ask my wife I spend WAY too much time following the 500's and Daytona's.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on February 18, 2008, 05:28:24 PM
Not a certified appraiser, but definately someone who follows the 500's. And if you ask my wife I spend WAY too much time following the 500's and Daytona's.
as far as 500's and number's on 500's I say your the expert and no certified guy could do better danny
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Charger_Fan

The armrest bases are painted black, that docks 3K off the asking price right there. :icon_smile_tongue:

Good lookin' car, I hope it works out for ya. :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

moparstuart

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 18, 2008, 05:45:05 PM
The armrest bases are painted black, that docks 3K off the asking price right there. :icon_smile_tongue:

Good lookin' car, I hope it works out for ya. :2thumbs:
yeah but put new one's on and the chrome starts turning bad soon after
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: runninhorn on February 18, 2008, 05:18:29 PM

hey Troy, I used to attend the Dallas Mopar Club meets from time to time in the early 90's. If i get this car, it will be at Boerne this year. :cheers:

Cool.. Me too.. Maybe we've already cross paths... I used to hang out with the Dillingers and Elmzy... I left there in July of '91 and occasionally returned to DFW for shows in the 90's with my white '71 Charger R/T.. That's what most people up there remember me by...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

runninhorn

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 18, 2008, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: runninhorn on February 18, 2008, 05:18:29 PM

hey Troy, I used to attend the Dallas Mopar Club meets from time to time in the early 90's. If i get this car, it will be at Boerne this year. :cheers:

Cool.. Me too.. Maybe we've already cross paths... I used to hang out with the Dillingers and Elmzy... I left there in July of '91 and occasionally returned to DFW for shows in the 90's with my white '71 Charger R/T.. That's what most people up there remember me by...

Troy

yea, I bet we have. I attended from 1990-1993. Had a butterscotch 74 Dodge Charger SE that I inherited from my grandmother. Attended quite regularly until my brother totalled it one night, almost had that sucker 100% restored.

BigBlockSam

40k is the # . Danny knows those cars inside and out. don't hire a ford guy to go look at a mopar. rite now it's a buyers market and cash is king . you should be able to make a good deal.  good luck. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

runninhorn

Quote from: BigBlockSam on February 18, 2008, 07:18:26 PM
40k is the # . Danny knows those cars inside and out. don't hire a ford guy to go look at a mopar. rite now it's a buyers market and cash is king . you should be able to make a good deal.  good luck. Rene

so is $45k overpaying?

runninhorn

LEARICAL-- what city is the car in again? Doing my mapquest to figure out mileage from there to Dallas, Tx.

BigBlockSam

Quoteso is $45k overpaying? 

NO, these cars are very rare. usaully if someone is asking an amount you give them your offer . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

runninhorn

well, to be honest, the most excited thing about this whole thing is how responsive my father is about it. My mom just died last year at 54 from breast cancer and dad has been down ever since she died since they were planning on retiring 24 dies after she died. He hasnt been the same since. But ever since I showed him this car, talked to him about restoring it, and going and getting it he has been his old self. He helped me restore that 74 Charger SE that we were doing in the early 90's before my brother totalled it. Man im stoked about this car!

BigBlockSam

i'm sorry about your mom.

every man needs a passion , keeps them young and makes you fell alive . my dad told me that a long time ago . Rene

runninhorn

question--

with it having sit so long, what things would need to be replaced to make it road worthy?

runninhorn

Quote from: learical1 on February 16, 2008, 07:02:05 PM
I'm back from looking at the 500. 

First, a caveat: turns out I vaguely know the owner.  Back when I had all my Mopars, he came by the house.  His brother, fellow board member Moparchris, currently owns my old Hemi 500.  Sometime in the last 25 years, he briefly owned my early VIN V-code SuperBird.  I believe I'm impartial, but ...(he did by me lunch.)

A little bad news.  I get to his house and find out my wife drained the rechargeable battery in my digital camera.  So, I have no pictures.  However, the owner promises to join tomorrow (Sunday) and post some of his own. 

Now, the nitty gritty: It's a good, sound car.  Older repaint, and could use a new coat.  Yes, it does have the hood call-outs and even a 440 call out on the rear stripe.  Car has not been registered since 1992, so I couldn't drive it.  It started up fine, and backed in and out of the garage no problem.  Engine matched, I couldn't see the trans numbers.  The engine had headers, Edelbrock AFB, electronic ignition and Mopar Performance valve covers.  Owner has the correct carb, valve covers and factory exhaust manifolds. 

Interior looked very good.  (BTW, woodgrain shift knob.)  Aftermarket radio in dash, and an extra gauge on the column.  Rear package tray had speaker grilles, and I believe a defroster duct, but I don't remember seeing anything in the trunk, now that I think about it. Speaking of the trunk, there was a color matched front spoiler that the current owner removed from the car after he purchased it.  I kinda liked it and would put it back on.

Now the body.  I could see some rust bubbles behind the left rear wheel.  Overall the body looks straight.  The 'dimple' in the right fender is on the horizontal surface, immediately above the headlights.  I could feel it, but visually, I couldn't see it.  Top of left front fender has something weird going on.  Possibly old body work going bad.  I could see ovals in paint, almost like left-over residue after removing a decal.  Couldn't feel it, but you can see this as you look it over.  Probably the worst area it floor/trunk.  Both had rust(not a lot, maybe 4"x4" in front of driver, a little more in the trunk), both were 'quicky repaired' with fiberglass patches, but not 'correctly repaired' by replacing sheet metal.  Car is sound I'd have no problem driving it, but if you're buying this as an investment, you'd probably want to swap out the engine goodies, replace the radio (he has an incorrect AM 8-track and face plate), fix the rust and repaint.  But, as a driver, it's very presentable and looks good until you start hunting for the defects.  Last thing, the engine compartment was painted black, by a previous owner.  Well done, but incorrect.  Ask me any questions, and I'll try to answer as honestly as possible.

Final statement:  I think it's worth the asking price.

would it drive enough to go up on a flatbed trailer or would you need a winch to get it up on there?

69_500

It will drive enough to get it up on a flat bed trailer. It runs and drives, the brakes are the touchy part from what I've been told on the car. It wouldn't take a whole lot to get this car into just a reliable cruiser.

runninhorn

awesome, thanks.

Man I cant even sleep, this week wont end soon enough!

runninhorn

69-500= you can still call him tonight if you want, he is up till 10pm pacific :)

Ill call him tomorrow or shoot him an email as well again.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

learical1

yes, it will easily drive up onto a flatbed.  the car is in Tempe, home of the Arizona State University Sun Devils, just outside of Phoenix.

it's a bitch typing with one hand while you hold your ceteal bowl with the other.
Bruce

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

The70RT

:popcrn: Looks like the race is on to see who get's it first  :D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

runninhorn

Quote from: The70RT on February 19, 2008, 11:19:13 AM

who else is after it? I fedex'ed the deposit an hour ago.

hemi68charger

Quote from: runninhorn on February 19, 2008, 11:45:27 AM

Sweet !!!  Is that Daytona in the avatar yours as well?........ 2 XX29L's would be great...... One's fantastic in it's own right...........
Troy

runninhorn

The70RT

Quote from: runninhorn on February 19, 2008, 11:45:27 AM

RAC95054 posted this on the first page...

Thanks for the info.  Good to know someone has some more firsthand info on it.  Well, if the $45K is fair, then it sounds like I need to decide soon, since it seems runninhorn might want it, too.  Even though green-on-green isn't my ideal choice, the price it right if it's as decent as it sounds.

I'm on it.  So far, all I got was it's dark green, and that the previous owner had it for a long time (that was all the wife knew).  I'll post more details later today or tomorrow.

-Russ

Looks like you got it though runnighorn  :2thumbs:

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us