News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

IS this a good 440 build???

Started by skip68, October 07, 2005, 10:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Two months ago I got a 68 charger with a 440. The car is auto on floor and 323's I believe. I'm rebuilding the motor like this...440/30 over,   stock cast crank, stock piston rods, ROSS race pistons, Mopar purple shaft cam .529/292, Gold roller rockers, Hydrolic lifters, D.U.I. distributer, Mopar torker intake, Holley 750 carb, And some kind of after market closed chamber cast heads. The guy at the shop has had several different mopar guy's look at the heads, but with no name or numbers nobody knows. They all agree that they are good after market heads. They look to be similar to DART race heads the guy at the shop says. Anyway that's my build... I hope to be in the 500+ horsepower range...What do you guy's think? OH, I will probably go bigger on carb. Thanks for any and all tips...................................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

cudaken

Wecome to the site first. If you can get the casting number or a PIC of the head some here will know what they are.

Depending on the heads should make 500 HP. Head's are the key to power. Also don't be shocked when you are told do use a driffrent cam. Most people here do not the MP Cam's, I think I am the last hold out for the MP Cams.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

Quote from: cudaken on October 07, 2005, 10:20:50 AM
  Most people here do not the MP Cam's, I think I am the last hold out for the MP Cams.

Cuda Ken

I've been happy with the one in my car Ken.  Admittedly though, my next engine will likely have something recommended by our race engine program directors.

skip68

Thanks Cudaken for the welcome. I was a member of the old DC site for about three months when it went down and has taken me till now to find my way home. "I love this site". I have heard of a cam called engle or something but have not heard what's so good/better about them yet. Pics of heads coming soon.           skip68....
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

Engle have been around a long time and still grind custom cams as far as I know.  They were one of if not the first to take advantage of the Mopar lifter diameter and for quite a while the ground all of Hughes cams.
Chryco Psycho knows them a lot better and swears by them.  Quite a few others here do as well.

Runner

if the 3.23's are staying then id do it a little differently.  got any pictures of the heads?.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

skip68

Hey Runner, my goal is to lower gears and go with a gear venders overdrive if my budget allows. I will have pics of heads by monday night. The heads are at the shop with the rest of the motor. :icon_smile_cool:

Chryco Psycho

Mopar cam Work , always have , the 292 / 509 is not my favorite , lots of duration with limited lift

Duey

3.91s and a 3500-stall with that combo?

That's not far off from mine (less my 440's forged crank and the 4.10's I got from Ron)  My heads were redone with larger valves and somewhere down the road I may consider Indy EZs.  I'm a few mopnths aways from build up...but it shouldn't be a bad combo....besides, I love the way my .509 sounds!!! :icon_smile_big:

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

skip68

Hey guy's.  What's your thoughts on the D.U.I. dist? Is it worth the money or just look cool???? :-\

Chryco Psycho

is the DUI  the GM Hei ???
if it is why remove a very good & stable system [Mopar] to go to a problematic GM system ?

skip68

I know it's like GM HEI, but they make them for mopars and a guy I know has one on his 68 440 charger and loves it. I just thought it was a good way to go. :-\