News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WILL TUFF WHEEL FIT ON 69 COLUMN???

Started by daytonalo, February 15, 2008, 10:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

I'm going to convert my 70 dash into a 69 , will my tuff wheel fit a 69 column???

Larry

stwheels

It should. Here is how I did the same thing in my 67 Coronet but I installed a rim blow wheel. Same mounting holes though.

First I had to grind away some material from the inside of the backside of the smooth sided A + B body Tuffwheel/Rim Blow adapter so it would turn freely without rubbing on the steering column. The 1970 columns were slightly larger to accommodate the ignition switch which had been mounted on the dash in 69 and earlier years.

The 69 column should fit once the inside of the Tuff adapter is slightly hogged out. Some test fitting will be required so keep a steering wheel puller and some extra long bolts handy.

Here is a picture of how deep and how much grinding was required.
Doug Lepak<br />The Steering Wheel Guy<br />Repairs/Refinishing + Customizing of any Plastic, Hard Rubber or Bakelite steering wheels<br />Specializing in MOPAR wood grain wheels WEB SITE: www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

Here is a shot of the wheel mounted in the car. You could (and I did) mount a Tuff wheel on the same adapter. I think it gives the car a whole different look and kind of dresses it up in a "Stock" way.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
Doug Lepak<br />The Steering Wheel Guy<br />Repairs/Refinishing + Customizing of any Plastic, Hard Rubber or Bakelite steering wheels<br />Specializing in MOPAR wood grain wheels WEB SITE: www.stwheelz.com

stwheels

Here is a side view showing how the hogged out adapter slides over the column.

The wheel is a customized Rim Blow wheel I built for my car.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy

stwheels

This is a front shot of the same wheel. My sons are skateboarders so at their request I airbrushed the Santa Cruz Screaming Hand on the horn cap.  :2thumbs:

I chiseled off the factory cone to mount the rim blow cap , tapped some holes to mount a standard horn mechanism and used a 72-74 E-body horn cap. The groove in the rim for the rim blow switch was filled in and the entire rim painted with ALSA brand Ghost Chrome. I added a 1/8" chrome stripe around the outside of the rim, bracketed by 1/32" Black pinstripes. I took a template of the shape of the spokes and then I cut out some satin Black vinyl to cover the front and rear of the spokes leaving the Silver edges exposed.

Oh yeah, I also painted a Flying Eyeball on the small plastic cover on the bottom spoke where it meets the rim.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy

daytonalo

Thanks Doug , I kind of figured the Column dia was different , you do nice work , but I wont be able to sleep with the big step from 69 column to 70 adapter . I think I might know keep the 70 column or make my own smaller Dia  Tuff wheel adapter to fit pre 70 cars .

Larry

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: stwheels on February 15, 2008, 11:58:51 PM
This is a front shot of the same wheel. My sons are skateboarders so at their request I airbrushed the Santa Cruz Screaming Hand on the horn cap.  :2thumbs:

I chiseled off the factory cone to mount the rim blow cap , tapped some holes to mount a standard horn mechanism and used a 72-74 E-body horn cap. The groove in the rim for the rim blow switch was filled in and the entire rim painted with ALSA brand Ghost Chrome. I added a 1/8" chrome stripe around the outside of the rim, bracketed by 1/32" Black pinstripes. I took a template of the shape of the spokes and then I cut out some satin Black vinyl to cover the front and rear of the spokes leaving the Silver edges exposed.

Oh yeah, I also painted a Flying Eyeball on the small plastic cover on the bottom spoke where it meets the rim.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy

Daum that's bas azz looking!   Nice work Doug :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

The work that some of you guys can do on pieces never seems to amaze me. I always thought of myself as pretty handy, but then what I see what some of you guys come up with, and are able to fabricate just makes my work look like a 2nd graders art compared to Artist's painting.

Whenever I do get around to completely going through my car, I'm definatley going to look some of you guys up for some of the odds and ends work that I don't wanna tackle myslef. IE redoing the woodgrain steering wheel.

Lighthorseman

I know this topic has been dormant for a while, but thanks to Doug Lepak's info, I was able to gring out the excess material from my tuff wheel adapter, and fit my tuff wheel into my 70 Satellite.