News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Hollow Wing - One Off flip up headlights (update)

Started by Daytona Guy, February 16, 2008, 03:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Here is my new wing. I finally got to do one for myself. I repainted it pearl white. I tried to get some close ups to see the white pearl.

The nose is getting my one off flip up headlights. They are a composite lamp that will have the bright blue lights in them. They pivot at the top so there is no need for all that mess that Creative Ind. came up with having to deal with those big round lights. The throw or movement is only 4" up with a 2" linear actuator. The doors are cast aluminum and very light and strong. They are very similar to the C5 Corvette flip up headlights. They look mean and angry at night.

My gap tolerances are ¼ inch or less, so they look great when closed all the way around unlike the originals.

I personally am not fond of the looks of the frog eyed stock Daytona headlights. Since my Daytona is more of a custom car I am modernizing some of the features yet still retaining the classic over all look.

Do not get me wrong – you guys are doing a great job on the original flip ups, you are better than I am for pulling that off – I truly am amazed

I pic mine  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

daytonalo

Nice work !! Is that a factory repo strip ? If so what is the width of stripe at wing upright base ?

Larry

Blown70

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on February 16, 2008, 08:58:23 AM
Nice work !! Is that a factory repo strip ? If so what is the width of stripe at wing upright base ?

Larry

Because it is a clone and I do not like putting vinyl on my car - I paint my tripe to match my wing (pearl white) - I beleive it is 18".

BigBlockSam

hey Dane

that pearl white looks hot . matches the rest of your car perfect . i dig the lights , again goes well with the rest of your car  . i bet they  throw  out a hell of a beam. I'm excited to get my wing on the car . your new wings are kick ass . i luv mine . even the weight is correct . it goes  good with the set of wing washers that daytonalo made me. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

:2thumbs:
Now the obvious question. Where do I sign up for a set (or two) of those headlight doors?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

1meanfish

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 16, 2008, 03:54:26 PM
Now the obvious question. Where do I sign up for a set (or two) of those headlight doors?
I agree, those headlights are cool. Perfect for those of us not going for the all original look. Great idea, sign me up too.

Daytona Guy

Who's this guy  ;)

Here is my former Red Daytona - They where glass but I made coppies in aluminum.

oldcarnut

I really like those.  Great job  :2thumbs:   When I get started on my Bird clone that's how I want to do it
David

Daytona Guy

Quote from: BigBlockSam on February 16, 2008, 03:46:25 PM
hey Dane

that pearl white looks hot . matches the rest of your car perfect . i dig the lights , again goes well with the rest of your car  . i bet they  throw  out a hell of a beam. I'm excited to get my wing on the car . your new wings are kick ass . i luv mine . even the weight is correct . it goes  good with the set of wing washers that daytonalo made me. Rene
Thanks for the compliments  - great job on the window.

Dane

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 16, 2008, 03:54:26 PM
These things would not be good for the market. I kinda make it up as I go. Not something I could put together and make available. If someone was really good at fabricating (creating/engineering) then they could pull this off if given this rough casting. This requires a lot of grinding and fitting. I think I would make more enemies than friends by even giving them away for free. But, thank you for the compliments.

charger_mike75

A383Wing

I'll be willing to go down to Dane's house and get them for anyone who wants them....he's only about 3 hours away......2 if I drive the Daytona....   :D

Bryan  (they do look good....  :2thumbs:

daytonalo

They look good !! I cant ever forsee driving my car at night so headlights in the stock form will suit me fine . I just want to run 200 MPH !!

Daytona Guy

Quote from: A383Wing on February 17, 2008, 11:38:03 PM
I'll be willing to go down to Dane's house and get them for anyone who wants them....he's only about 3 hours away......2 if I drive the Daytona....   :D

Bryan  (they do look good....  :2thumbs:

I'll leave the light on. :vert:

hotrod98

Dane, did you say that you used the 88-98 Chevy truck composite headlamp assemblies? 
If not then what type did you use? 

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteWho's this guy   

i know that guy . he's a hell of a guy too  :laugh:

QuoteDane, did you say that you used the 88-98 Chevy truck composite headlamp assemblies? 

if i remember correctly i think they were Lincoln mercury light assembles

i just bolt $17 worth of stainless nuts and bolts for the wing and brackets. I'm looking forward to seeing the wing on that car.

I LUV IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!!     :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie:

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 18, 2008, 12:24:51 AM
Dane, did you say that you used the 88-98 Chevy truck composite headlamp assemblies? 

Yes, but just the lens.

BigBlockSam

didn't you use Lincoln mercury lights in your red one?

hotrod98

When you say lens, are you including the reflector and socket as well or did you use a different reflector?

Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 18, 2008, 11:23:07 PM
When you say lens, are you including the reflector and socket as well or did you use a different reflector?

Same lights - 88-98 Sub or truck – Sheby - Just the composite all in one structure not including the socket. They come as one unit and I take it apart.

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 18, 2008, 11:23:07 PM
I can dig you up a couple compsite gm truck h/l capsules less the big mounting bracket cheap larry
everyone need them with the bracket so they should be easy to get them with out

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Sadly, I had boxes full of them when I was the body shop manager at the local GMC dealership.
I remember the day that I threw them in the dumpster.  :brickwall:

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 19, 2008, 05:14:18 PM
Sadly, I had boxes full of them when I was the body shop manager at the local GMC dealership.
yeah they tent to hold moisture or get the bracket broken easy
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Quote from: moparstuart on February 19, 2008, 05:24:16 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on February 19, 2008, 05:14:18 PM
yeah they tent to hold moisture or get the bracket broken easy

We kept the broken ones for several reasons. We used parts to repair other headlamps to save customers money towards their deductible and sometimes used the headlamp adjusters for the reproduction headlamps that the insurance companies forced us to use. The factory adjusters fit a lot tighter than the aftermarket versions. A few years back, almost every vehicle that we repaired had those headlamps.

Charles Addams