News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Another day of testing on today.  Even Rusty Wallace is out there logging laps with a gold 2 :punkrocka: :punkrocka: :punkrocka:

nvrbdn

met rusty. nice guy. got plenty of memorabilia from that day. even got to have lunch with him :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TruckDriver

NASCAR considering radical Chase changes

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-nascar-considered-radical-chase-182135664--nascar.html

"A 16-driver championship field that would be whittled down to create a winner-take-all season finale is among radical changes reportedly being considered by NASCAR. Three major changes beginning with expanding the field from 12 drivers to 16 - meaning a win during the ''regular season'' would virtually guarantee a driver a spot in the field.

Once the field is set, The Observer said NASCAR is considering eliminations during the 10-race Chase.

The field would be cut after the third, sixth and ninth races. The proposed eliminations would drop the lowest four drivers from title contention after the third, sixth and ninth races, leaving four drivers eligible for a ''winner-take-all'' race in the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The four remaining drivers would go into Homestead with their points reset and tied in the standings."
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

Do away with the Chase and leave the drama to what's on the track.

Ghoste

And stop trying to "level" the field.  You don't make the fastest Olympians run with a loaded backpack to even the competition.  Let them race.

General_01

Brian France is not interested in what the fans think. Almost any Nascar forum you read the majority hates any type of Chase or "playoff" format, yet they are still sticking to it. The big drive behind trying to change it is that they are trying to compete with the Baseball playoffs and the start of the football season. They usually lost some viewers and the sponsers were complaining about that and the people paying for commercial time would not pay as much because of it.

In my opinion, they should start the season the first weekend in January and race on all the southern tracks like Homestead, Daytona, Texas, Talledega, Phoenix, California, Charlotte, etc for the first 7 weeks. Double a couple of these to make it to 9 weeks if necessary and then start going to more northerly tracks after that. If they raced every weekend they would have race 36 on Labor Day weekend. This way they would not be competing with MLB playoffs and NFL. They could go back to old style points and stop trying to create the drama and have from Sept-December to get ready for the next season. Just an idea.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

BROCK

Whew...............Longest thread ever. 

I like the old cars from the body cheat days :drool5:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

JB400

Rumor floating around that Haas might start a F1 team  :popcrn:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/21/nascar-team-owner-working-to-launch-formula-one-team/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

Looks like they're going to knock out qualifying as well.

TruckDriver

I saw that too. Well, if they got the money, why not. I forgot what knock out qualifying is  :P
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

Knock out qualifying:  Every car goes out on the track and run as fast as they can for x amount of laps.  Afterwards, Nascar takes the top 25 cars or so, and run them for x amount of laps as fast as they can.  Next, the top 10 or 12 cars will run until the rest of laps are run.  The faster you run, the better your starting position.

A383Wing

I have been saying this for years...my thought was if 60 came to qualify, the top 43 speeds got in...no more provisional, no past champion saves...every man for himself. If you crash during qualify, yer watching from the trailer...

also, pit stalls drawn at random after the top 43 are in...kinda like a bingo draw...no more fastest qualifier getting to pick pit stall...random draw as well

TruckDriver

Wont be long til they have a huge crash in qualifying and all the drivers complain about it  :lol:

But it will make things interesting :yesnod:
PETE

JB400

Even if they do wreck, they may still get in on fastest lap.  Unless there is a Past Champions' Provisional, it's nice to think that there's a slim possibility that Johnson won't make the race.  There will be a lot of disappointed fans if Jr. doesn't make a race :rofl:

thedodgeboys

Dodge not planning return to NASCAR anytime soon: It's the question all Dodge stock-car fans want to know: When will the manufacturer return to NASCAR? Not in 2014, that's for sure. While Dodge continues to discuss stock-car racing, according to Ralph Gilles, president and CEO of SRT Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC, "the timing isn't right." But Gilles is well aware that stock-car enthusiasts miss the Dodge brand in NASCAR's garages" so never say never. "We haven't forgotten about NASCAR," Gilles told FOX Sports on Friday. "We have a lot of pressure on our capital right now. The Dodge brand has a new chief (Timothy Kuniskis, president and CEO of Dodge Brand), right? He's an enthusiast. He owns a Charger himself, it's his daily drive. He has an older one and a new one. He gets it. He understands. But timing is everything. To get back in the sport is not an insignificant investment. It's something that we've said no to. This year is out of the question, but the future, anything could happen. The fans want us back, so we'll see."(FoxSports)(1-25-2014)

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 19, 2014, 02:40:59 PM
Do away with the Chase and leave the drama to what's on the track.

Thats for sure :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

chargerboy69

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 22, 2014, 03:50:41 PM
Rumor floating around that Haas might start a F1 team  :popcrn:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/21/nascar-team-owner-working-to-launch-formula-one-team/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000588

Looks like they're going to knock out qualifying as well.

All lies. . remember they don't have any money.  That is why they let Ryan go. . . Yes, I am still bitter.  :RantExplode:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

A383Wing

and yet they had the money to make a 4 car team after Tony said that they could not.....I hope Ryan blows their door off

JB400

I predict Kurt is going to be odd man out.

chargerboy69

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 28, 2014, 11:39:09 PM
I predict Kurt is going to be odd man out.

Maybe. . . .Haas thinks Kurt is one of the best drivers out there.  They used to no sponsor excuse to move Ryan along but then they sponsor Kurt with Haas Automation. I do believe most of this was Haas' doing as Stewart was still in the hospital and was partially out of the loop. Still. . . bitter.  :RantExplode:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

wingcar

Kurt Busch would like to do the "Double Duty" thing with running both NASCAR and the Indy 500 this year.  And, it sounds as if the door hasn't been closed on this idea as yet, with Kurt stating that the deal was 70% complete.   I for one would love to see this as it hasn't been done in some time.....we'll see if it really happens.

Penske might just add another Sprint car team, with Ryan Blaney behind the wheel.  He is scheduled for two Sprint Cap starts this year, plus he is driving full time in the Truck series and perhaps 15 Nationwide races.  I guess that means Sam Hornish Jr. is totally out....hope something opens up for him.

I am looking forward to seeing how rookies Kyle Larson and Austin Dillon do this year...should be interesting since both are high profile and many are expecting great things from both. (*Perhaps too much?)

And, last but not least...the new format for the Chase this year....I'll reframe from saying much until I see it in action......
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

Quote from: wingcar on January 30, 2014, 10:23:34 AM

I am looking forward to seeing how rookies Kyle Larson and Austin Dillon do this year...should be interesting since both are high profile and many are expecting great things from both. (*Perhaps too much?)

I predict that both Larson and Dillon will out perform Danica.   

Hornish has seven races lined up with Joe Gibbs in Nationwide.   He is driving the #54 when Kyle Busch is not in the seat.   

chargerboy69

Quote from: Aero426 on January 30, 2014, 10:43:20 AM
Quote from: wingcar on January 30, 2014, 10:23:34 AM

I predict that both Larson and Dillon will out perform Danica.   

Hornish has seven races lined up with Joe Gibbs in Nationwide.   He is driving the #54 when Kyle Busch is not in the seat.   

It amazes me drivers like Nemechek, Gilliland, J.J. Yeley, Danica, Lebonte, ect all have Cup rides but Sam does not.  :shruggy:

The guy not even get a full time Nationwide ride. . .I just don't get it.

--Gerald Ford

JB400

Premium driver premium paycheck.  Nemecheck owns his own team.

Aero426

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 30, 2014, 11:33:55 AM
Premium driver premium paycheck.  Nemecheck owns his own team.

Yep on Nemechek.   It's his own deal.

Danica brings a sponsor.   You brings the money, you gets to drive.  
Labonte (both of them) is a past champion, so he has a start in his back pocket
Yeley?   I don't know how he manages to stick around in Cup.

Sam?  I don't know.   He can run towards the front in Nationwide, but......    Does he have a stigma about him for getting a Cup ride?   Could be.    If he had a decent sponsor to bring along, I am sure he would be in a car.    Personally, I think he is an Elliott Sadler type and although be competitive Nationwide, he will be close to maxed out in Cup.

JB400

Just to clarify my last statement, I doubt that the teams that Yeley and Gilliland drive for could afford to have more talented drivers drive for them.  They're good drivers, but they're driving those cars for a reason.  They can give those cars a good showing from time to time, but not on a consistent level that other drivers can.