News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

The field could easily be cut to 35 cars (or less) and get rid of the junk and start and parks in the back.     

chargerboy69

Quote from: Aero426 on January 30, 2014, 01:56:32 PM
The field could easily be cut to 35 cars (or less) and get rid of the junk and start and parks in the back.     

I totally agree.  You could cut the field by half.  Get rid of the never has been's and never will be's.  There are never really anymore than 15, maybe 18 guys who really stand a chance of winning on race day.  The rest are just. . . driving in a circle.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ponch ®

Huh?   :shruggy: :scratchchin:

QuoteNASCAR Announces Chase For The NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship Format Change: NASCAR announced a new championship format today that will put greater emphasis on winning races all season long, expands the current Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup field to 16 drivers, and implements a new round-by-round advancement format that ultimately will reward a battle-tested, worthy champion. We have arrived at a format that makes every race matter even more, diminishes points racing, puts a premium on winning races and concludes with a best-of-the-best, first-to-the-finish line showdown race  all of which is exactly what fans want, said Brian France, NASCAR chairman and CEO. We have looked at a number of concepts for the last three years through fan research, models and simulations, and also maintained extensive dialogue with our drivers, teams and partners. The new Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup will be thrilling, easy to understand and help drive our sports competition to a whole new level.
Changes announced by France to the championship format include:
- A victory in the first 26 races all but guarantees a berth in the 10-race Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup  a change that will put an unprecedented importance on winning a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race all season long
- Expanding the Chase field from 12 to 16 drivers, with those drivers advancing to what now will be known as the NASCAR Chase Grid
- The number of championship drivers in contention for the NASCAR Sprint Cup championship will decrease after every three Chase races, from 16 to start in the Chase Grid; 12 after Chase race No. 3; eight after Chase race No. 6; and four after Chase race No. 9
- The first three races of the Chase (27-29) will be known as the Challenger Round
- Races 30-32 will be known as the Contender Round
- Races 33-35 will be the Eliminator Round and race No. 36 will be the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship
- A win by a championship-eligible driver in any Chase race automatically clinches the winning driver a spot in the next Chase round
- Four drivers will enter the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship with a chance at the title, with the highest finisher among those four capturing the prestigious NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship.

Eligibility for the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup: The top 15 drivers with the most wins over the first 26 races will earn a spot in the NASCAR Chase Grid  provided they have finished in the top 30 in points and attempted to qualify for every race (except in rare instances). The 16th Chase position will go to the points leader after race No. 26, if he/she does not have a victory. In the event that there are 16 or more different winners over 26 races, the only winless driver who can earn a Chase Grid spot would be the points leader after 26 races.
If there are fewer than 16 different winners in the first 26 races, the remaining Chase Grid positions will go to those winless drivers highest in points. If there are 16 or more winners in the first 26 races, the ties will first be broken by number of wins, followed by NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver points.
As was implemented in 2011, prior to the start of the Chase, all Chase Grid drivers will have their points adjusted to 2,000, with three additional bonus points added to their total for each win in the first 26 races.
Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Structure After the third Chase race, the Chase Grid will be left with 12 drivers. After the sixth Chase race, the field will drop to eight drivers, and following the ninth Chase race, only four drivers will remain in championship contention for the NASCAR Sprint Cup title.

The first round (races 27-29) will be called the Challenger Round. If a driver in the Chase Grid wins a Challenger Round race, the driver automatically advances to the next round. The remaining available positions 1-12 that have not been filled based upon wins will be based on points. Each will then have their points reset to 3,000.

The second round (races 30-32) will be called the Contender Round. Likewise, if a driver in the top 12 in points wins a race in the Contender Round, the driver automatically advances to the next round. The remaining available positions 1-8 that have not been filled based upon wins will be based on points. Each will then have their points reset to 4,000.

The third round (races 33-35) will be called the Eliminator Round. If a driver in the top eight in points wins a race in the Eliminator Round, the driver automatically advances to the next round. The remaining available positions 1-4 that have not been filled based upon wins will be based on points. Each will then have their points reset to 5,000.
Additionally, drivers who are eliminated in the Contender and Eliminator Rounds will have their points readjusted. Each eliminated driver will return to the Chase-start base of 2,000 (plus any regular season wins bonus points), with their accumulated points starting with race No. 27 added. This will allow all drivers not in contention for the NASCAR Sprint Cup title to continue to race for the best possible season-long standing, with final positions fifth-through-16th still up for grabs.

Four Drivers, First-to-the-Finish Championship Finale The 36th and final race of the season will be the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship. Simply stated, the highest finisher in that race among the remaining four eligible drivers will win the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series title. Bonus points for laps led will not apply in the season finale, so the official finishing position alone will decide the champion.
All rules outlined above also apply to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series owner championship structure.(NASCAR)(1-30-2014)

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20140130chase
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

JB400

Looks like they're doing the Elimination bracket style like NHRA uses.  Just another way to create drama in the series :eyes:

Basically, all you have to do is win one race to qualify, run consistent the rest of the year, then win one race and you're the champion.

thedodgeboys

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on January 30, 2014, 05:25:08 PM
Looks like they're doing the Elimination bracket style like NHRA uses.  Just another way to create drama in the series :eyes:

Basically, all you have to do is win one race to qualify, run consistent the rest of the year, then win one race and you're the champion.

It may be interesting not quite that easy but if you can win early win one in the chase and win at Homestead you could be Jimmy Johnson...  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

JB400

I'm sure Knauss has already figured out how to win it.

HeavyFuel

Brian France deserves a kick in the nuts.

Go with this:  

1) Points the way they used to be, not this one point per position crap they have now.  Passing Danica for 34th place shouldn't have the same value as going by Stewart for 3rd.  (Why a solid driver is back in 34th is another story....let's just keep it simple.)

2) Make poles worth some points.

3)  No points for leading a lap.  
-This rule is just ridiculous.   It doesn't reward competitiveness, just good timing.   Just cause you're the last guy to come into pit road, for example, you get a point?    Dumb.  A million years ago when Petty and Pearson started 1-2 and took turns leading the race, it made sense to give someone else a pat on the back for wrestling the lead away for a lap or two.   Not now.

4) Make wins worth a few more points than they are now.

5) After Richmond, the top 10 drivers are in the Chase and get a total reset in points.  Even.
-After 26 races, the best teams/most consistent drivers will be in the top 10.  Will a few favorites be on the outside looking in?  Possibly.  But every team had 26 races to get there.  Is it really fair that someone with bad season, but happened to win one race (Trevor Bayne, anyone?) might lock out a driver with a solid season?

6) Run 7 races, keeping track of points for the Chasers the same way as in the first 26 races.

7) Before the 8th race of the Chase, take the top 5 drivers, reset their points, and have 3 race shootout between 5 drivers.  
-The championship should not be decided by one race, at one track, where a driver's style/skillset might be an advantage, or something happens to a driver that's not his or his team's fault.  "Ohhhhhh........man.......tell so-and-so that I didn't mean to spin him out, or wreck in front of him, or bang the wall with a couple laps to go and f*ck up his 3 second lead, or dive-bomb him on the re-start and put him in the wall."        Yeah, bullsh*t.  

odcics2

Junior's excuse why he won't win this year:

"The track was slick."
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

People moan and complain about how NASCAR is not like the good old days.    If that is you, guess what?   You are not alone.    Listen to Bobby Isaac after clinching the 1970 title at Rockingham by finishing 7th,  14(!) laps off the pace. 

"Money, man. Money. That's what this business is all about." (His indifference makes you shiver.) "Listen, you think what I was doing out there was racing?   All I did was try to stay out of everybody's way.    It wasn't racing.   It's been a long time since I've been racing.  It used to be a fun thing, but now it's strictly business."

The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

nvrbdn

thats right. just a shame it went all the way back to 70. but when the daytona came out, everyone else was just driving around. and if dodge was back and winning every race, i wouldnt complain at all. guess its just what side of the fence your on as to how you feel about nascar. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Highbanked Hauler

Strictly my opinion - NASCAR has OUTGROWN itself and I don't think much can be done to remedy  the problem. NASCAR has lost its soul. Its all about money, an earlier post proves that. If you ever go out to North Wilksboro its a 2 lane back road off of RT. 421 to get to the track and you park in a field. It has the down home local feel to it that doesn't generate the money present day racing has evolved into. Thing is you can't turn back time. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

RAC95054

All major sports now are a business, and the sponsors/TV have a lot of control on what happens.  Remember, almost every professional athlete used to have a real job in the offseason 40+ years ago.  Once huge tracks/stadiums/free agency and such came about, the deepest pockets could field the best teams, so the same teams/drivers ended up winning most of the time.  Now, since these players/drivers are paid way too much money (to lure them over, so as to get more people in the stands and sponsors, in turn to make more money), they are expected to perform at the highest level, which means the team owns them, and they are dedicated to the team.  In the end, the costs then get passed on to the fans in the form of higher ticket prices, higher parking fees, higher concession prices, and overpriced merchandising. 

So yes, it is all about the money now.  50 years ago, most of the guys drove because they loved it.  Look how dangerous it was back then, but they did it anyway and loved it.  That's why it was so great then, because of the passion.  Now, they are pressured to perform, and condition themselves, and do what the sponsors ask of them... so it becomes a job with a boss, and the passion and love fade.  Which, I can say my passion and love for NASCAR is fading as well with that. :(

How can they make it better??  Cap the number of cars a team can have, or they have to kick some winnings back to lesser funded teams so the start and parks can at least run a whole race.  Get rid of the frickin' restrictor plates and let the driver's skill determine who is best/fastest.  Award more points for wins and poles, nothing for leading less than 10 laps, and more points for passing cars running in the top 10 (maybe a tier system where passing the 30th place gets you little, but passing 4th place gets something better).  And if you are in the top 4 in the last race, the winner takes it all of those 4 (meaning the highest finisher). 

Finally, make it affordable for people to go once again, so you can take your kids and get the next generation interested.  Else, it will die a slow death as us old school people fade away.  I wish Brian France would read this forum!

Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

400/6/PAC

ESPN quit NASCAR
Here is a question I had to Them regarding fantasy NASCAR.

Why do I get basketball when I log on to NASCAR?
I've been trying for Day's to commision a leauge but there is no NASCAR.

And Their response.

Dear David,

Thank you for interest in Stock Car Challenge.  This game will not be offered for this NASCAR season.

We are constantly working on new games and game formats and, as a result, are always balancing our offerings to focus on the best experiences possible.  We encourage fans to sign up for Streak For The Cash.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 8 am and 1 am EST.

Regards,

Brandon
ESPN.com Customer Care

JB400

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/2/5/nascar-ray-evernham-leaves-espn-for-hendrick-motorsports.html

Looks like Evernham is returning to Hendrick Motorsports in a management position.  Although he claims he won't be in an active position, I wonder how long it'll be before he ends up as crew chief again.

RAC95054

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 06, 2014, 01:24:59 PM
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2014/2/5/nascar-ray-evernham-leaves-espn-for-hendrick-motorsports.html

Looks like Evernham is returning to Hendrick Motorsports in a management position.  Although he claims he won't be in an active position, I wonder how long it'll be before he ends up as crew chief again.

He's been doing that new show on Velocity with Hendrick, called AmeriCarna, for a while now.  I assume they filmed last summer/fall, and he was calling Hendrick "boss" then.  So not too surprising, and I bet you're right he'll end up as crew chief.  The show, BTW, is not really that good.  Evernham does a decent job, but Hendrick needs to stick to running his company.
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

Aero426

Why would he want to get back into the grind of being a crew chief?   I don't see it happening. 

TruckDriver

Quote from: RAC95054 on February 06, 2014, 05:57:18 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 06, 2014, 01:24:59 PM

He's been doing that new show on Velocity with Hendrick, called AmeriCarna, for a while now.  I assume they filmed last summer/fall, and he was calling Hendrick "boss" then.  So not too surprising, and I bet you're right he'll end up as crew chief.  The show, BTW, is not really that good.  Evernham does a decent job, but Hendrick needs to stick to running his company.

I been watching that show. I like it though. But I also noticed that.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on February 06, 2014, 07:09:44 PM
Why would he want to get back into the grind of being a crew chief?   I don't see it happening. 

I don't either...he said numerous times he does not want to "Crew Chief" again....guess we will see

JB400

I think it'd actually be good for Knauss to have some in house competition.  You have to know that Chad gets whatever he wants for his team.  Shake things up in there and see how Chad and Jimmie like competition from teammates.

thedodgeboys

:smilielol: wishful thinking I don't see him on the box as a regular but I could see him as a coach for all the team crew chiefs.

TruckDriver

Okay.. with the first race of the 2014 season this coming Saturday night (The Shootout at night & the ARCA race in the afternoon), does anyone have the track schedule for the week including tv schedules?

SPEED used to cover a lot of the practice, and I don't know if Fox Sports 1 will be as well?
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

A383Wing

I went to NASCAR.com and printed out all the schedule for all 3 series:

here's the first few...and yea, Fox Sports 1 will cover all of the truck races and the All-Star race at Charlotte for Cup

Cup - Sprint Unlimited - Fox Sports 1  (2-15-14)
Cup - Qualifying for the 500 - Fox (2-16-14)
Cup - Budweiser Duel - Fox Sports 1 (2-20-14)

TruckDriver

I ment like the pre race practice and stuff before the 500.

I get all my schedules from here http://www.tvracer.com/ And the ARCA one from the ARCA site http://www.arcaracing.com/
PETE

A383Wing

I'll look tomorrow, but I think it's all on Fox Sports 1 this week...practice & testing

JB400

There's some truth to this article from Petty interview :yesnod:  Plus, a little smack about Danica :lol:

http://www.wheels.ca/news/danica-will-only-win-in-nascar-sprint-cup-if-shes-by-herself-richard-petty-says/