News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

I saw that Petty interview article and loved this one on-line posted response:

"Richard Petty is being sexist? Really? Webster's Dictionary defines sexism as "behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex".
Now, let's go to Ms. Patricks's website and look at her photos where her clothing is scant and her poses, extremely suggestive. Then consider the fact that she made $15 million dollars last year of which $58, 000 was winnings. You can only conclude that sex sells, which is fine, but let's call it what it is."

So, Danica made $15M? The bigger picture is that her Owners and sponsors made a helluva lot more than that! She's not a racing success, but she is a business success. Any other mediocre driver would be long gone - her existence in Nascar is based on the money-making machine tied to her novelty in the sport spectacle, and the corresponding selling of sex. Richard Petty is speaking the truth, as painful as it is to some people.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

wingcar

I listen to the NASCAR Station on the way home from work and Richard's interview is all they are talking about.  The main theme appears to be how much his comments are going to hurt NASCAR in the eyes of the mainstream non-racing public.   And, how we (the fans) should be trying everything to get them involved and interested.  **News flash...many of those in the mainstream are never going to watch and could care less about auto racing.  I believe NASCARs changing of the rules so often and for that matter the complete restructuring of how the Championship is crowned does more too hurt NASCAR than Richard's words.  I have had people ask me, why if NASCAR series is so great do they have to change everything each year....that's how the general public see's NASCAR, not to mention the fact that they feel auto racing is not even a sport.  (And, that will never change in many eyes).

Bottomline:  If she was male, she would be gone, but she sells because of her looks.  Not saying it's good or bad, just stating what I feel is a fact.  Go Daddy is in NASCAR because she gives them exposure...(sorry about the play on words).  NASCAR is too expensive for a company to pay a driver to finish mid pack race after race....unless that driver gets "air time", which she does due to her sex.   It's all about the money!  When (and if) she stops bringing in the dollars for Go Daddy, they will leave her.

And, Dale Earnhardt Jr. had better start winning some racing.  I get sick and tired of hearing how he is the Fan favorite year after year, and in many a race he to finishes in the middle of the pack....if he finishes at all.  We all know the "Fan" vote is a direct by product of a driver's fan club...his knows how to get the vote out and does.

I like Richard and he earned the right to say anything he wants about NASCAR....fact is HE made NASCAR what it became by his past actions and performance.  He's been around and knows a thing or two about drivers.....let's see if Dania proves the King wrong.  But, I am sure the King is not losing any sleep over that possibly.  :Twocents:        
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

chargerboy69

Quote from: RallyeMike on February 11, 2014, 03:27:58 PM
So, Danica made $15M? The bigger picture is that her Owners and sponsors made a helluva lot more than that! She's not a racing success, but she is a business success. Any other mediocre driver would be long gone - her existence in Nascar is based on the money-making machine tied to her novelty in the sport spectacle, and the corresponding selling of sex. Richard Petty is speaking the truth, as painful as it is to some people.

I am not sure if a male version of her would have even been brought up to the Cup series, just my opinion. She has a great sponsor, that is the only reason she has a ride.

It was funny watching Stewart out there today doing damage control.  It is kind of like someone defending what a "great job" our federal government is doing.   :P
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

RallyeMike

QuoteI am not sure if a male version of her would have even been brought up to the Cup series, just my opinion.

I think that also matches general opinion. In 6 or 7 years with Indy, she won 1 race. Would Joe Blow have gotten the shot at a Cup ride?

Quotenot to mention the fact that they feel auto racing is not even a sport

I get this from my sports fan friends all the time. "Car racing is not a sport... blah blah blah".... and then they point out the chain smoking Dick Trickle, other old drivers etc.

My response: "Yes, its a team event requiring altogether different talents and abilities. That's why they coined the term 'Motorsport' - so we don't have to listen to you cry about it!"  :o

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

Hemingway once said that bullfighting and auto racing are the only true sports, everything else is just a game.  (when was the last time a baseball player was killed during a game?)

The70RT

Quote from: Ghoste on February 12, 2014, 09:46:46 AM
Hemingway once said that bullfighting and auto racing are the only true sports, everything else is just a game.  (when was the last time a baseball player was killed during a game?)

I hear ya, more fans die from being drunk or stupid and fall out of the stadium  :P
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TruckDriver

Watching the ARCA race right now on Fox Sports 1, and 15 minutes into it, they already had a 15 car pileup and a fight in the pits over it  :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JB400

I'm surprised it didn't end in a wreck fest.  Not a bad race.  Won't get to watch the race later on tonight. :brickwall:

TruckDriver

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on February 15, 2014, 06:06:03 PM
I'm surprised it didn't end in a wreck fest.  Not a bad race.  Won't get to watch the race later on tonight. :brickwall:

Record it for later.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

A383Wing

another 4.5 months of listening to "Mickey Motor-mouth"   :brickwall:

chargerboy69

Bud Shootout time. . . . or whatever they call it now.

That was a heck of a wreck and took out a lot of cars.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

:o Johnson was the first caution before this one when he spun on his own and plowed into the infield wall.  :2thumbs:

This wreck took out half of the cars. Only 9 left running now  :lol:
PETE

chargerboy69

Stenhouse sure slammed into his sweetheart. . . that was a hard hit she took.

--Gerald Ford

chargerboy69

And the pace car catches on fire while on the track.  Not the kind of publicity GM was hoping for I am sure.

--Gerald Ford

chargerboy69

And the King stands by his statement.  The best part of this article is what the King is standing in front of. . . A beautiful Alpine White Superbird.   :2thumbs:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/15/i-am-not-a-sexist-racing-legend-stands-by-danica-patrick-verbal-swipe/

--Gerald Ford

A383Wing

Quote from: chargerboy69 on February 15, 2014, 09:56:50 PM
And the pace car catches on fire while on the track.  Not the kind of publicity GM was hoping for I am sure.

see?? we don't need Montoya here for track equipment failure....  :rofl:

Quote from: chargerboy69 on February 15, 2014, 09:46:52 PM

I'm seeing separate beds tonight for those two....  :smilielol:

TruckDriver

Quote from: A383Wing on February 15, 2014, 10:54:01 PM

see?? we don't need Montoya here for track equipment failure....  :rofl:

I'm seeing separate beds tonight for those two....  :smilielol:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
PETE

odcics2

Ricky says she's used to it...    :naughty:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

odcics2

from jayskis site

Petty stands by Danica remarks: Richard Petty said he is no sexist and defended his right to express his opinions a week after comments about Sprint Cup driver #10-Danica Patrick unleashed a backlash against the Hall of Fame driver and current team owner. At a trade show in Canada, Petty said Patrick, a second-year driver at NASCAR's highest level, could only win "if everybody else stayed home." Before the Sprint Unlimited on Saturday at Daytona International Speedway, Petty expressed his opinion on the firestorm. "What I said is what I said, and that's what I believe, OK?" he said. "What's unfair is the sexist part. If her name had been Danny, OK, nobody would have said anything about it. So y'all are bringing up the sexist part of it, not me." Petty added, "It was definitely not sexist, OK? Hey look, I've been married 55 years to the same woman. So I am not a sexist by any ways. I love women." Petty said Saturday he wouldn't hesitate to express his opinions in the future. He noted that his comments generated a national NASCAR news cycle in the lull before SpeedWeeks, oddly verifying Patrick's ability to generate publicity even while being critiqued. "There was nothing going on NASCAR racing. Nobody was talking about Daytona," he said. "Nobody was talking about nothing. Look at all the publicity NASCAR got and she got just for one little comment."(ESPN)(2-16-2014)

GO RICHARD!   :cheers:

chargerboy69

Qualifying starting now.

Hendrick and Stewart Haas have lost 3 engines in last two days.  :2thumbs:

--Gerald Ford

A383Wing

Chevrolet releases statement Sunday morning, confirms fire in trunk area, which contained "a purpose-built auxiliary electrical kit to operate the numerous caution lights during the race."

odcics2

Quote from: A383Wing on February 16, 2014, 01:14:51 PM

Chevrolet releases statement Sunday morning, confirms fire in trunk area, which contained "a purpose-built auxiliary electrical kit to operate the numerous caution lights during the race."

Those Chinese resistors don't last....    :lol:

A383Wing

yea..made with cheap off-shore Chinese circuit boards and wiring

A383Wing

well, crap..."Rich punk-ass kid Austin Dildo" got the pole.....

riding grandpa's shirt tales again