News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: JB400 on August 10, 2014, 02:24:54 AM
Tony Stewart clips a guy with his Sprint car  :rotz:  The driver didn't survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja7TlxpPb_8

Article here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar-from-the-marbles/tony-stewart-reportedly-involved-in-incident-under-investigation-at-new-york-dirt-track-042049206.html

"A tragic accident took place last night during a sprint car race in which Tony Stewart was participating. Tony was unhurt, but a fellow competitor lost his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. We're still attempting to sort through all the details and we appreciate your understanding during this difficult time."

Tony guns it, the back end gets out from under him, hitting the driver - who was standing on the track, yelling at Tony for wrecking him the previous lap...     The 'official' quote from Tony's PR certainly downplays it.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

TruckDriver

This will be interesting ...   :rotz:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

400/6/PAC

Quote from: TruckDriver on August 10, 2014, 08:10:28 AM
This will be interesting ...   :rotz:
Wow, I just saw it on the news.
And He say's He will race Today.

keith88

Tony will NOT race today (just out). I dont blame him for the accident the guy had to be hard to see on that dimly lit speedway and the car in front of him with the other driver wearing black. My prays go out to everyone involved.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

TUFCAT

I hope the cops are on this....which usually isn't the case in racing. It would be so easy for the Stewart crew to quickly load the racecar on a trailer and head out...with physical evidence all over it. Why hasn't anyone seized the GoPro camera yet? No word on that story either.

Tony Stewart's hot headedness has been proven time after time (remember helmet throwing)...  In the case of yesterday's race he was the "experienced" pro driver and temper and rage should not have become an issue (who knows if it was/is?).  Anyway he should also move down the track as fast as possible after the incident.  This is the typical instinct for most drivers, so not sure what happened there.  :shruggy:  

Regarding the younger driver, rule #1 on a racetrack if your car is wrecked and NOT ON FIRE is to STAY IN YOUR CAR unless instructed by track officials. You don't charge down 2 lanes to confront another driver ESPECIALLY one with a temper like Tony Stewart.

Stewart will have a lot of explaining to do, if the GoPro device shows he intended to menace the kid in some way. By the way, this shit is getting out of control and professionalism seems to have gone out the window.  :Twocents: :Twocents:    

Indygenerallee

I watched the video and I don't see him "sitting the car sideways" the only time I see the car move is AFTER he clips the driver that walked into his path and the front of the car moves right and the back of the car appears to move left, a sprint car is going to physically move if you hit a person in it as they are so light, It would have kicked out right if he had gunned it! The kid is responsible 100% he left his only protection he had on that track the second he walked down the track away from his car into the midst of traffic to throw a tantrum, IMO this kind of behavior starts at the top I have always thought it was childish when a driver got out of the car on the track to either throw their helmet, hans device, or the finger and "showboat" I believe it should be a MANDATORY DNF if your driver exits the car while on the track under any circumstances other than a red flag.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

dyslexic teddybear

Can't help but be reminded of......how many times I have seen replays of Tony throwing his helmet at Matt......then a hand gesture to the cheers of the crowd......as advertising for Nascar.

So.....can't really blame the kid 100%.....for doing what the "pros" do.

Agree though......a DNF for an on track tantrum. Let's do it right, add a one race suspension, like Kyle Bush received. Not a Kyle fan, but fair is fair.

But then.....you couldn't use the footage for advertising.......

JB400

Newman took a hard lick.  Michael McDowell did too :o

nvrbdn

I like the way ryan says what he thinks no matter what. :cheers: then rusty comes in to say how much it would cost to fix the walls :brickwall: :brickwall:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

JB400

Allmendinger wins!!!!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

A383Wing

Quote from: nvrbdn on August 10, 2014, 04:25:50 PM
I like the way ryan says what he thinks no matter what. :cheers: then rusty comes in to say how much it would cost to fix the walls :brickwall: :brickwall:

Rusty is a turd....my opinion....I like Ryan's attitude.....no fear

odcics2

Quote from: Indygenerallee on August 10, 2014, 11:59:54 AM
I watched the video and I don't see him "sitting the car sideways" the only time I see the car move is AFTER he clips the driver that walked into his path and the front of the car moves right and the back of the car appears to move left, a sprint car is going to physically move if you hit a person in it as they are so light, It would have kicked out right if he had gunned it! The kid is responsible 100% he left his only protection he had on that track the second he walked down the track away from his car into the midst of traffic to throw a tantrum, IMO this kind of behavior starts at the top I have always thought it was childish when a driver got out of the car on the track to either throw their helmet, hans device, or the finger and "showboat" I believe it should be a MANDATORY DNF if your driver exits the car while on the track under any circumstances other than a red flag.  :Twocents:

The kid got the ultimate "DNF"...    :Twocents:

rustafarian

The police cleared Stewart after looking into it
He said he wasn't and did not race today
I was surprised he was in a commercial during today's race (Mobil 1 oil maybe?)
Terrible thing happened to both of them and thier families
Never get out of your race car unless its on fire
Support your local dirt track
Drive fast  take chances and the inside when you can
Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

odcics2

Tony Stewart will not face criminal charges right now after a Saturday night incident in which Stewart's car struck and killed 20-year-old Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint car race at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park.

In a news conference shortly after 3 p.m. ET Sunday, Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Phillip C. Povero said, "At this moment there are no facts or evidence that would support a criminal charge or criminal intent."

Povero said Stewart was "visibly shaken" and had been cooperative in the investigation. Authorities were asking spectators and others to turn over any video they recorded of the crash.

"This is right now being investigated as an on-track crash, and I don't want to infer that there are criminal charges pending," Povero said. "When the investigation is completed, we will sit down with the district attorney and review it. But I want to make it very clear: There are no criminal charges pending at this time."

In the incident Saturday night, Stewart and Ward crashed, and under caution Ward got out of his car and walked toward Stewart's car, gesturing at the three-time NASCAR champion. As Stewart's car approached Ward, Stewart's right-rear wheel hit Ward, who was thrown into the air and died as a result of the contact.

Stewart was replaced in today's Cheez-It 355 at the Glen by veteran Regan Smith.

The sheriff's office is examining videos from fans who were in attendance and also is awaiting formal autopsy results.

Key words are: "at this time."

wingcar

Tony is a professional, and anyone that thinks even for a minute that Tony
tried to hit Kevin doesn't know what they are talking about.  He knows and
understands how dangerous that "game" would be and he loves racing to much
to play that "game".  He's going to have to live with the outcome of this
accident for the rest of his life.  I am sure that deep down he will
continue to relive and second guess what happened for a very long time (if
not forever).  It's easy for an "arm chair" quarterback to state their
opinion on what happened, but the bottom-line is after all the opinions
and facts are played out.....it was simply an unfortunate racing accident,
and nothing more...no foul play, no evil intentions....just a racing
accident....had this accident involved anyother driver than "Hot Headed"
Tony Stewart it wouldn't have received so much attention.

Perhaps, all the racing organizations will stop the dangerous act of
drivers showing their frustration on the track to other drivers they feel
"wrecked" them.  Playing chicken, or even just stepping towards a speeding
race car is not very smart and the practice needs to stop before someone
else is killed....

My thoughts and prays go out to both Kevin's family for their loss and to Tony....

(*Just my two cents..)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

A383Wing

Mytur Binsdirti

The lesson to be learned here is to never bring a pointed finger to a NASCAR fight.

odcics2

TUFCAT

I'll also predict no criminal charges will be filed.

It will also be handled "out of court" since Stuart is viewed as someone with deep pockets....But he'll have to pay an enormous amount of money.

Unfortunately even though he [might not] have done anything wrong, this could be the end of his professional Nascar racing career.  

TruckDriver

Quote from: wingcar on August 11, 2014, 08:16:52 AM

else is killed....

My thoughts and prays go out to both Kevin's family for their loss and to Tony....

(*Just my two cents..)

:iagree: Very well said!  :2thumbs: :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Budnicks

Quote from: wingcar on August 11, 2014, 08:16:52 AM

else is killed....

(*Just my two cents..)

Bingo, hit the nail on the head,
I couldn't have said it any better...  :2thumbs:

RIP Mr. Ward
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

472 R/T SE

I still haven't seen this question asked. 

Do they not run helmet radios on dirt tracks'?  I would think it wouldn't take much for Tony to use his NASCAR gear for safety reasons?  Or does he feel it's a competitive edge?

This was his 1st dirt race since he broke his leg last year while dirt trackin'.  He loved the sport.  He's been racing with other drivers' of various skill levels for a long time now.  Imo, he should think about giving it up.  That's 2 bad incidents in a row.  :shruggy:

JB400

Harvick fined for the bean bags in his car.  I thought having to pit to remove them would have been penalty enough. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-issues-penalty-no-4-134500003--nascar.html

Aero426

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on August 12, 2014, 03:31:35 PM
I still haven't seen this question asked. 

Do they not run helmet radios on dirt tracks'?  I would think it wouldn't take much for Tony to use his NASCAR gear for safety reasons?  Or does he feel it's a competitive edge?

This was his 1st dirt race since he broke his leg last year while dirt trackin'.  He loved the sport.  He's been racing with other drivers' of various skill levels for a long time now.  Imo, he should think about giving it up.  That's 2 bad incidents in a row.  :shruggy:

I believe it has been said that race control had communication to drivers.    For instance, "yellow is out, car in turn 2"