News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landonsrt

I can understand removing them on Superspeedways for safety issues. Acts like a launch ramp in reverse. But on short tracks, cost issue. Those things are several thousands of dollars and hitting someone in the rear and knocking it off.... Theres no point because they do not cause enough downforce... just as well to have a lip spoiler.

We just had an ACR Viper in here that the dealer bought. Carbon Fiber front splitter---$10,000.00 It will most likely be the first thing damaged on that car....

chargerboy69

And it might be gone in time for Daytona.  They had meeting with every single Cup driver  individually within the last couple weeks asking their opinion about the wing.  From what I have read, most if not all wanted it gone.

NASCAR Says Rear Spoilers, Yellow Lines, "No Bumping Zones" May Disappear In 2010: NASCAR's Managing Director Corporate Communications, Ramsey Poston, said Friday that the sanctioning body is investigating the possibility of replacing rear wings with old-style rear spoilers in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, in time for the start of the 2010 Daytona 500. However, Poston told Sirius NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody that the change has nothing to do with cars becoming airborne during high speed crashes at the circuits two superspeedways; Daytona and Talladega. "We took a car to the wind tunnel after last year's fall race at Talladega and recreated Ryan Newman's crash to as high a degree as possible," he said. "Those tests showed beyond any doubt that the rear wing had no effect on the way that race car took off. With that said, we talked to 14 different drivers at the NASCAR Technical Center yesterday [Thursday], and all 14 of them were in favor of going back to rear spoilers as a way of increasing downforce and improving competition. As a result of the input we have received from those drivers, and others, I think it's safe to say that we are taking a very serious look at the possibility of reintroducing rear spoilers for the 2010 season." If NASCAR elects to move forward with the change, Poston said the sanctioning body will wind-tunnel test the package almost immediately, before scheduling an on-track test session prior to the start of SpeedWeek 2010. Poston said NASCAR has met with every track operator since the end of last season, along with drivers, owners, crewchiefs and even media partners in an effort to determine what might be done to improve competition, and that the rear wing/spoiler is only one item on the list. "If it helps us improve competition, we will move forward with it," said Poston. "There are other changes that we will announce during the annual Media Tour that I think will be welcomed by everyone; drivers, crewchiefs, team owners and especially fans."
Poston revealed that NASCAR is likely to loosen the reins on drivers next season, saying, "We're going to let the drivers drive." While declining to give specifics prior to the official announcement, it is expected that NASCAR will eliminate the controversial "no bumping zones" at superspeedways, and possibly even the rule prohibiting drivers from racing below a yellow line at the bottom of the banking at both Daytona and Talladega.(Sirius Speedway)(1-9-2010)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Landonsrt

OK, heres another question..... If they are taking the wing off for competition reasons, does that mean they are going to take the new restrictor plate off to bring back horsepower???? I mean, below the yellow line, bump drafting in the corners... They are really trying to get interest back in the sport..

TruckDriver

I dont thing we will ever see the restrictor plate go away. The cars would be running 225 if not faster on the big tracks. There would definatly in time, be a car in the stands. I dont even wanna see that.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Landonsrt

No, I meant the restrictor plate they put on last year to decrease the power in the COT. That's what bunched all the cars together and made for some sorry racing.

I.E. fall talladega race.

The70RT

Quote from: Landonsrt on January 14, 2010, 07:38:32 PM
No, I meant the restrictor plate they put on last year to decrease the power in the COT. That's what bunched all the cars together and made for some sorry racing.

I.E. fall talladega race.

From what I heard they are changing the plate again. I guess it is going to be bigger this time around?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

TruckDriver

NASCAR finally figured out why people were loosing intrest in the sport, and is going back to the "rubbing is racing" rules. More bump drafting, more aggression from the drivers, the biggest restrictor plates since 1989, rear spoilers instead of wings. This is a good read!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-2010changes&prov=ap&type=lgns

"There's an age old saying that NASCAR, 'If you ain't rubbing, you ain't racing,"' NASCAR president Mike Helton said Thursday. "I think that's what the NASCAR fan, the NASCAR stakeholders all bought into, and all expect."

The first change will be evident when the season opens next month at Daytona International Speedway, where restrictions on bump-drafting will be lifted and horsepower will be increased by the use of the largest restrictor plate since 1989.

"We will put it back in the hands of drivers, and we will say 'Boys, have at it and have a good time,"' vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said Thursday.

The yellow out-of-bounds line that circles the bottom of those two tracks will remain, and Pemberton said the majority of drivers did not want that removed.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Landonsrt

Well, I guess Ill have to watch and see how this one turns out. I thought they were so concerned with wrecking each other... They didnt want someone getting killed like Earnhardt did blocking and bump drafting.

I guess the ratings are more important than the drivers lives...

Not complaining, just stating the obvious. Should make for some better racing....

TruckDriver

Well, it is how they races in the 60's and 70's though too.
PETE

BigBlackDodge

I have a feeling that the first time one of these guys get rubbed they're going to take it personally and push back to hard.

BBD

TruckDriver

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on January 22, 2010, 01:02:16 PM
I have a feeling that the first time one of these guys get rubbed they're going to take it personally and push back to hard.

BBD

That's how Kyle Busch always drives. So, it's nothing new, lol.
PETE

Landonsrt

YEAH, then when someone does it to him he whines like a little BITCH and says NASCAR lets others get away with anything.

Or he runs away from the cameras crying cause he didnt win....

Ponch ®

Quote from: TruckDriver on January 21, 2010, 06:31:07 PM
NASCAR finally figured out why people were loosing intrest in the sport, and is going back to the "rubbing is racing" rules. More bump drafting, more aggression from the drivers, the biggest restrictor plates since 1989, rear spoilers instead of wings. This is a good read!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-2010changes&prov=ap&type=lgns

"There's an age old saying that NASCAR, 'If you ain't rubbing, you ain't racing,"' NASCAR president Mike Helton said Thursday. "I think that's what the NASCAR fan, the NASCAR stakeholders all bought into, and all expect."

The first change will be evident when the season opens next month at Daytona International Speedway, where restrictions on bump-drafting will be lifted and horsepower will be increased by the use of the largest restrictor plate since 1989.

"We will put it back in the hands of drivers, and we will say 'Boys, have at it and have a good time,"' vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said Thursday.

The yellow out-of-bounds line that circles the bottom of those two tracks will remain, and Pemberton said the majority of drivers did not want that removed.

I like what NASCAR is doing with this. Put it back in the driver's hands. Up until this year, anytime there was a wreck at Daytona or Talladega, the drivers would get out of their cars and say something like "it's the position NASCAR puts us in with these rules...blah blah". I think drivers will be more cautious now and smarter about making certain moves now that they can't blame the rules for causing a wreck. Sure, there will still be drivers making bonehead moves that cause wrecks, but the other drivers will teach him a lesson the next week.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

TruckDriver

Quote from: Landonsrt on January 22, 2010, 02:56:19 PM
YEAH, then when someone does it to him he whines like a little BITCH and says NASCAR lets others get away with anything.

Or he runs away from the cameras crying cause he didnt win....

I find it rather entertaining when he whines  :lol:
PETE

TruckDriver

I just saw on tv, I guess they are hoping by next year to loose the carburators, and are going to adapt to fuel injection.
PETE

Landonsrt

That's just a bigger expense for the smaller teams.... it'll make start up easier when they stall them..

Aero426

Quote from: TruckDriver on January 26, 2010, 07:42:20 PM
I just saw on tv, I guess they are hoping by next year to loose the carburators, and are going to adapt to fuel injection.

The manufacturers are the ones pushing for this change.   

chargerboy69

Bud Shootout practice today on Speed at 5:00pm and 6:30pm ET.  They will also have practice tomorrow too.  Then the Bud Shootout is Saturday night.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

chargerboy69

Congrats: #18-Kyle Busch proposed to his girlfriend Samantha Sarcinella on Tuesday and she said yes, no wedding date has been set yet.(2-5-2010)Jayski.com

You have to be kidding.  If that toad worked at Hardees he could not even get a date with his hand and a bottle of Jergens lotion.  It is all about the cash.

--Gerald Ford

Landonsrt

:lol: :lol: :cheers:

I 100% agree! I was just talking to someone at work and we were saying the exact same thing. He looks like the dufus from Grandmas Boy. But a bigger PUSSY!!

TruckDriver

PETE

400/6/PAC

That was a great race.
Good to see Mcmurry win one. :2thumbs:
Too bad about all the potholes.

chargerboy69

For a minute I thought Jr. was going to get it.  He came from 10th to 2nd in one lap.  Not a bad race except for the long pothole delays.

--Gerald Ford

General_01

Good race. I think after the race they wanted to interview anyone not hit by Denny Hamlin. They couldn't find anyone. :shruggy:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Mike DC

QuoteI like what NASCAR is doing with this. Put it back in the driver's hands. Up until this year, anytime there was a wreck at Daytona or Talladega, the drivers would get out of their cars and say something like "it's the position NASCAR puts us in with these rules...blah blah". I think drivers will be more cautious now and smarter about making certain moves now that they can't blame the rules for causing a wreck. Sure, there will still be drivers making bonehead moves that cause wrecks, but the other drivers will teach him a lesson the next week.

I agree to an extent. 

But IMHO they've been addressing the wrong end of the driving problems for decades.  If they want more aggression and screwing around from the drivers then they need to make the consequences less dire for every mistake. 

Vehicle weight, wheelbase length, tire sizes, downforce, restrictor plates . . . everything about the modern NASCAR removes any margin for error in the driving style.  Hold the car granite-smooth and you'll be fine, but one little twitch and the car unrecoverably goes into the wall.