News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The NASCAR Thread

Started by 400/6/PAC, February 18, 2008, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: General_01 on November 23, 2010, 06:19:10 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on November 23, 2010, 02:58:01 PM
Quote from: Landonsrt on November 23, 2010, 02:49:39 PM
I thought the whole changing the crew around for one race is stupid.. They constantly keep running 13-17 second pit stops but one string of mistakes, it's the end of the world!! What about talladega or daytona? One mistake by one driver can ruin 100s of peoples day... But do they swap drivers?? Nope!

In this case though, the #48 crew had been underperforming for a while now. The #24 had been one of the best throughout the season, so with Gordon out of the race and out of the Chase, it made sense to switch them. It's really not all that different from other sports - like trading a good player from a losing team to a good team right before the trade deadline in order to get better for the playoffs, or calling up a player from the minors.

How is it the same as other sports? You can pull your QB and put in "his" back up, a guy on "your" roster. I would akin that to pulling the crew chief and putting the car chief in charge. You can pull the entire defense and change them out with the 2nd string from the "same" team or trade for better players during the week. You can't have a receiver play for your team just because his team has a bye week. I guess I just don't get your logic Ponch.

Actually it happens all the time...teams that share minor league affiliates in a variety of sports might do that...and even the Vikings had Randy Moss for what...two games? Maybe it's hard to find an exact parallel in a stick n ball sport, but the point is that it's really not that big of a deal.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

General_01

I guess I will agree to disagree.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

maxwellwedge

3 of 4 crew chiefs being shuffled at HMS - Not Chad.

From Jayski...

New crew chiefs for Gordon, Martin & Earnhardt Jr.: Hendrick Motorsports has made personnel adjustments in preparation for the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, with drivers Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. being teamed with new crew chiefs. Below are the driver-crew chief pairings for each Hendrick Motorsports car, effective immediately:
#5 Chevy, driver: Mark Martin, Crew Chief: Lance McGrew
#24 Chevy, driver: Jeff Gordon; Crew Chief: Alan Gustafson
#48 Chevy, driver: Jimmie Johnson; Crew Chief: Chad Knaus
#88 Chevy, driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr.; Crew Chief: Steve Letarte
The cars of Martin and four-time Sprint Cup champion Gordon will be fielded out of the same facility, now known as the 5/24 shop. Earnhardt Jr.'s Chevys will be prepared out of the renamed 48/88 shop alongside those of five-time and defending Cup champion Jimmie Johnson. "This will improve us as an organization, across the board," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "We had a championship season (in 2010), but we weren't where we wanted and needed to be with all four teams. We've made the right adjustments, and I'm excited to go racing with this lineup."

The70RT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 23, 2010, 09:15:34 PM
3 of 4 crew chiefs being shuffled at HMS - Not Chad.

From Jayski...

New crew chiefs for Gordon, Martin & Earnhardt Jr.: Hendrick Motorsports has made personnel adjustments in preparation for the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, with drivers Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. being teamed with new crew chiefs. Below are the driver-crew chief pairings for each Hendrick Motorsports car, effective immediately:
#5 Chevy, driver: Mark Martin, Crew Chief: Lance McGrew
#24 Chevy, driver: Jeff Gordon; Crew Chief: Alan Gustafson
#48 Chevy, driver: Jimmie Johnson; Crew Chief: Chad Knaus
#88 Chevy, driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr.; Crew Chief: Steve Letarte
The cars of Martin and four-time Sprint Cup champion Gordon will be fielded out of the same facility, now known as the 5/24 shop. Earnhardt Jr.'s Chevys will be prepared out of the renamed 48/88 shop alongside those of five-time and defending Cup champion Jimmie Johnson. "This will improve us as an organization, across the board," said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. "We had a championship season (in 2010), but we weren't where we wanted and needed to be with all four teams. We've made the right adjustments, and I'm excited to go racing with this lineup."

Looks like maybe a last ditch effort for jr  :scratchchin: From what I hear he has trouble communicating to the crew chief on what the car is doing
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

maxwellwedge

I agree - Gordon needed a change as well. Plus - Notice the shops 48/88 and 5/24.

The70RT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 24, 2010, 07:40:06 AM
I agree - Gordon needed a change as well. Plus - Notice the shops 48/88 and 5/24.

I would like to see Martin get it before he leaves but I doubt that would happen. My nephew was a a hotel in Indiana a couple days ago and he said he seen a Hendrix Kasey Khane car hauler with the number #5 car already :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ponch ®

wow...that's a pretty extreme move. But it's not really a bad idea. Gustafson is a hell of a crew chief and should pair up well with Gordon, and Martin/McGrew have worked together in the past, IIRC. Junior...well, Junior is Junior. We'll see. Looking back, maybe Hendrick shouldn't have let Darian Grubb move over to Stewart's team and put him in charge of the 88 or 24.  The only thing that could have a negative effect is the shuffling of how the teams are paired up...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

mikepmcs

As much as I like Dale Jr for whatever reason.  I just don't see him being the driver that everyone expects him to be.  I hope he proves me wrong next year.
Until Bill E really retires, he's still my favorite driver.
I really hope Junior can come on next year.
I don't watch much anymore and the final race was the most of a race I watched all year.  I could tell something was up with Jimmie and Jeff.  Doesn't seem like Jeff likes him anymore.  Reminds me of the Days of Thunder movie. :yesnod:
Is Michael Waltrip still driving?  ;D
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Landonsrt

I still like jr. Even though he's been sucking since he left DEI. I listen to his in car audio during most races and he will flat out cuss lance mcgrew for everything. Adjusting tire pressure or wedge adjustments that don't go right for him. He never does that with his spotter. I just don't think he cares for lance. 

Ponch ®

Quote from: Landonsrt on November 24, 2010, 05:17:22 PM
I still like jr. Even though he's been sucking since he left DEI. I listen to his in car audio during most races and he will flat out cuss lance mcgrew for everything. Adjusting tire pressure or wedge adjustments that don't go right for him. He never does that with his spotter. I just don't think he cares for lance. 

only since he left DEI?

chargerboy69

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 24, 2010, 11:41:01 AM
wow...that's a pretty extreme move. But it's not really a bad idea. Gustafson is a hell of a crew chief and should pair up well with Gordon, and Martin/McGrew have worked together in the past, IIRC. Junior...well, Junior is Junior. We'll see. Looking back, maybe Hendrick shouldn't have let Darian Grubb move over to Stewart's team and put him in charge of the 88 or 24.  

I agree with everything this man said.

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 24, 2010, 11:50:58 AM
As much as I like Dale Jr for whatever reason.  I just don't see him being the driver that everyone expects him to be.  I hope he proves me wrong next year.

Is Michael Waltrip still driving?  ;D

I like Jr., and would like to see him do well, but I do not see him really doing much.  I think if he was going to have a breakout year, he would have done something by now.

Michael ran a very limited schedule this year.  Maybe six races.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Landonsrt

Well, before Tony sr stepped down from being his crew chief and before they swapped all of his winning cars with waltrips crap....

Ponch ®

Quote from: chargerboy69 on November 24, 2010, 05:34:03 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on November 24, 2010, 11:41:01 AM
wow...that's a pretty extreme move. But it's not really a bad idea. Gustafson is a hell of a crew chief and should pair up well with Gordon, and Martin/McGrew have worked together in the past, IIRC. Junior...well, Junior is Junior. We'll see. Looking back, maybe Hendrick shouldn't have let Darian Grubb move over to Stewart's team and put him in charge of the 88 or 24.  

I agree with everything this man said.

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 24, 2010, 11:50:58 AM
As much as I like Dale Jr for whatever reason.  I just don't see him being the driver that everyone expects him to be.  I hope he proves me wrong next year.

Is Michael Waltrip still driving?  ;D

I like Jr., and would like to see him do well, but I do not see him really doing much.  I think if he was going to have a breakout year, he would have done something by now.

Michael ran a very limited schedule this year.  Maybe six races.

MW seems like a very likable and charismatic guy (at least on TV), but the last 4-5 years he was racing full time, either with DEI or his own team, he was stinking up the joint big time. I wonder if NAPA or whoever it was forced his hand at finally getting out of the car and putting a younger driver in.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Landonsrt on November 24, 2010, 06:03:33 PM
Well, before Tony sr stepped down from being his crew chief and before they swapped all of his winning cars with waltrips crap....

so...like 2004? Sad but true that he's been sucking for so long now...

Landonsrt

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 24, 2010, 06:05:03 PM
Quote from: Landonsrt on November 24, 2010, 06:03:33 PM

so...like 2004? Sad but true that he's been sucking for so long now...

Yeah, unfortunately. There was a rumor that evernham might go back to hendrick as a crew chief. It would be great if it were for Dale jr. But that'll never happen.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: The70RT on November 24, 2010, 10:59:47 AM

I would like to see Martin get it before he leaves but I doubt that would happen. My nephew was a a hotel in Indiana a couple days ago and he said he seen a Hendrix Kasey Khane car hauler with the number #5 car already :scratchchin:

I wonder why that is.  Martin's still the driver for another year before Kenny Francis & Kane take over.

Quote from: Landonsrt on November 24, 2010, 08:36:08 PM

Yeah, unfortunately. There was a rumor that evernham might go back to hendrick as a crew chief. It would be great if it were for Dale jr. But that'll never happen.

All his recent interviews say he wants nothing to do with being a crew chief again.  It sounds like he wants some kind of consultant role.

Chargen69

saw this on the awards show last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmJGqDPWnI

pretty funny

TruckDriver

I saw that when they played it at the end of the last race of the season. I laughed just because I thought it was stupid, lol.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Landonsrt

It was pretty entertaining...... Damn jimmy Johnson.

I'm selling my jj autographed stuff dirt cheap.....

400/6/PAC

First time I saw that clip.
Thats funny. :smilielol: :smilielol:

400/6/PAC

BREAKING NEWS:
NASCAR ADDS WILD CARD ELEMENT TO SETTING THE CHASE FIELD; SIMPLIFIES POINTS SYSTEM
NASCAR announced Wednesday that it has added a wild card element to setting the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup field and it has simplified its points system for 2011, making it easier for fans, competitors and the industry to understand.

While the 12-driver Chase field remains intact, the final two spots will be determined by the number of wins during the first 26 races.

Visit NASCAR.COM for full story

chargerboy69

And another news alert from the world of NASCAR.  Mark Martin will not be retiring after this year.  I think Mark has announced his retirement more than Bret Favre.

Mark Martin not finished after this year: Mark Martin may be in the final year of his NASCAR Sprint Cup contract with Hendrick Motorsports, but don't count him out of racing. Wednesday at the Hendrick Motorsports shop, Martin erased any doubt that he could be racing in 2012. "I'm absolutely, without a doubt, going to be driving race cars next year, just not going to be in any hurry to worry about that," he said. "I'm focused on 2011 and really enjoying being a part of Hendrick Motorsports." Asked further about the issue later, he said that it was too early to be even thinking in that direction and that it would be better to approach him about what he'll be racing, and for whom, late in the season.(Fox Sports)(1-27-2011)
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

TruckDriver

Well, he actually never officially said he was going to retire. When he left the first time, he said he was just taking a break for a while, but even then he ran in the trucks on and off.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ponch ®

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on January 27, 2011, 08:39:04 AM
BREAKING NEWS:
NASCAR ADDS WILD CARD ELEMENT TO SETTING THE CHASE FIELD; SIMPLIFIES POINTS SYSTEM
NASCAR announced Wednesday that it has added a wild card element to setting the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup field and it has simplified its points system for 2011, making it easier for fans, competitors and the industry to understand.

While the 12-driver Chase field remains intact, the final two spots will be determined by the number of wins during the first 26 races.

Visit NASCAR.COM for full story

I just saw that too. I like the idea. It was always a PITA to watch a race late in the season or just before the chase cut off, and trying to figure out what driver was getting how many points. Now its simpler.  The only thing is that now one bad day can really f up your season.  I would have liked to see 35th-43rd get the same number of points (8?), that way a bad finish doesn't hurt as much and it keeps guys from trying to get back on the track in a slow, trashed car because he'll get more points if he finishes 38th instead of 42nd.

maxwellwedge

Still not enough points for winning. All that France F-Up cares about is his totally stupid play-off.

The % difference between 1'st and second on is worse now than it already was.

I want each race to stand up on its own.....everyone trying to win - not riding around for points.