News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

higher volume aftermarket gas tanks?

Started by joflaig, February 21, 2008, 10:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

Just curious if there is a higher volumn gas tank out there that requires no real serious mods to get it to fit and looks decent. I don't know if the tank in the pic below holds more than the stock tank, but sure ain't stock, and looks good to me too.

Mike DC

I dunno about more than stock.  Stock is something like 19.5 gallons already and there's not a lot of room to put any more gas back there. 

To get any more room inside, the tank would have to hang lower down under the car.  Theoretically you could also push the tank's volume farther out at the sides, but that would intrude on the real estate that was meant for the exhaust pipes.  (And the exhaust pipes can't move any farther out sideways because of the subframe rails.)

BrianShaughnessy

That looks like it might be a custom Rick's tank in the pic.  http://www.rickshotrodshop.com/index.html   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mike DC

Honestly, I think I would sooner shrink a stock gas tank than make one larger. 

The stock gas tanks already hang low enough to make a visible difference in the car's undercarriage.  If you look at modified Chargers that have had the stock tank tossed in favor of a fuel cell (inside the trunk), the rear end of the car looks sort of "lighter" in a subtle way.   I like it better.

joflaig

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 22, 2008, 05:46:45 PM

Honestly, I think I would sooner shrink a stock gas tank than make one larger. 

The stock gas tanks already hang low enough to make a visible difference in the car's undercarriage.  If you look at modified Chargers that have had the stock tank tossed in favor of a fuel cell (inside the trunk), the rear end of the car looks sort of "lighter" in a subtle way.   I like it better.

It would nice to get another 5 gallons with a tank that looked nice, but I'm not seeing how I could do that without a lot of effort and involving a tank in the trunk probably.

Rack

Wouldn't it be possible to cut out a piece of the trunk and extend the gas tank upwards? Plenty of room in those giant charger trunks. If you don't use your trunk a whole lot, it might be worth looking into. People put fule cells in their trunk don't they? Why not just extend the tank itself through the trunk?

Also don't know if modding the trunk to accomadate a larger custom gas tank would be considered a "real serious mod". I know it would for me, but for some here that might seem like something minor.  :shruggy:

joflaig

Quote from: Rack on February 22, 2008, 06:14:26 PM
Also don't know if modding the trunk to accomadate a larger custom gas tank would be considered a "real serious mod". I know it would for me, but for some here that might seem like something minor.  :shruggy:

That all depends on the dollar signs  ;)!

Mike DC

6 pounds per gallon x 19.5 gallons = 117 pounds of gasoline in a stock tank when it's full.  That's quite a bit even for a big car like this.

suntech

Quote6 pounds per gallon x 19.5 gallons = 117 pounds of gasoline in a stock tank when it's full.  That's quite a bit even for a big car like this.
Exactly, and toghether with the "slingshot" effect it has, beeing far behind the CG, and behind the rear wheels.  Then, with a few gallons gone, so the rest is splashing around in there, it will have a more negative effect.
I might sound like i am going berserk with stuff things that does´nt matter, but it reallt does. Think about it................Take a normal bicycle, then make a "wheelybar" style baggage rack right BEHIND the rear wheel, then try to do small fast turns back and forth, with and without a car battery on the rack, then you will feel the difference!!!!
Ok, that would be extreme, but same effect :think: :think:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

dkn1997

I would think it would be pretty easy to mount a fuel cell in the trunk and have it feed a stock tank.  I think mike NYC mille was planning something like that after the bull run tv show in preparation for the real bullrun. 
RECHRGED

suntech

That would be easy,and it would take a solenoid valve, to open the fuelcell delivery to the original tank, so you can refill, just with the push of a button. :scratchchin:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

69_500

I believe that somewhere around here in the large stash of photo's that I have a picture of a challenger that has a modified fuel tank. I know its a not a Charger, but if I'm not mistaken it had a 30 gallon tank in a 1970 Challenger.