News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 parts on C500's

Started by Paul 500, February 25, 2008, 08:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul 500

I was talking to someone the other day & they said they have seen early production built 500's with the 68 gas filler caps, 68 center consoles and ever the 68 turquoise colour engines. Has any one got any of these parts on their 500's or seen them on 500's. If so what was the build date on these cars.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

hemigeno

I don't think any C500s were ever built with a turquoise-painted engine, to be honest.  All of the really early C500's were Hemicars, and those engines were NEVER painted turquoise.  By the time they started churning out 440 cars, I would really be surprised if a '68 turquoise engine turned up as an original install.  I would want to see a whole lot of evidence before believing that was true.

As far as the other '68 parts go... I would kinda doubt that was the case as well, but it's a little more believable. 

:Twocents:

WINGR

I'm not 100% sure but in 1969 if you had a Charger with A/C wasn't the block turquoise? I am pretty sure this holds true on a 383 Road Runner but don't know on the 440 Magnum. As far as it being like that just because the 500's were early 69's I would doubt that. Just my  :Twocents: as well.

WINGR

rollingthunder

Quote from: hemigeno on February 25, 2008, 09:45:02 AM
I don't think any C500s were ever built with a turquoise-painted engine, to be honest.  All of the really early C500's were Hemicars, and those engines were NEVER painted turquoise.  By the time they started churning out 440 cars, I would really be surprised if a '68 turquoise engine turned up as an original install.  I would want to see a whole lot of evidence before believing that was true.

As far as the other '68 parts go... I would kinda doubt that was the case as well, but it's a little more believable. 

:Twocents:
life's to short have a blast before its gone.

tan top

yeah thats the only one i know of the C500 prototype which was  had 68 sheet metal & interior ,,not sure what the vin says though as i have never seen it ...  must be a 8 on there i would of thought  ...............:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemigeno

Quote from: WINGR on February 25, 2008, 11:52:08 AM

I'm not 100% sure but in 1969 if you had a Charger with A/C wasn't the block turquoise? I am pretty sure this holds true on a 383 Road Runner but don't know on the 440 Magnum. As far as it being like that just because the 500's were early 69's I would doubt that. Just my  :Twocents: as well.

WINGR

Joe,

You're correct in that a 330 horse 383 would have had turquoise paint.  IIRC the 383/335hp's were all orange.  However, all HP 440's were orange in '69 - AT, MT, and AT with Air Conditioning were all orange.  Only the "K" code 440 LP's that went into C-bodies were turquoise AFAIK.

I'm not sure what rollingthunder's point was with posting a picture of the 500 prototype - of course that had '68 parts on it, but it's the only one that I've ever seen with any connection to the '68 model year (apart from black door buttons).  Danny (69500) has the VIN number for the prototype, but I thought it was a '68.

69_500

Yuppers the VIN on the 68 prototype is XS and is a 68 VIN. Nothing got changed on the VIN on that car to even in any way shape or form indicate it was even the first of the 500's as far as I can tell. I however do not have the full infomation on the car, as in fender tag or anything like that. Haven't seen that car in many many years.

I haven't noticed any of the cars with 68 parts on them. Gene can attest to having just looked at an early 500 this past weekend, and I didn't see any 68 year parts on the car other than that the black buttons on the door handles. The flip top gas cap was for a 69, the console was as well. Car had 69 buckets, 69 dash, 69 model year everything that I could see. And believe me when I say that we CRAWLED all over and under that car. Heck in some instances crawled through the car.  :yesnod:

Highbanked Hauler

How late in the year did the factory stop restamping the  VIN on the engine and transmission with the X over the S.  The fender tag on mine also says XS29.  I have owned it since new so I Know its original.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

Haven't quite narrowed that one down yet. I know they definately were up through September of 1968. As to how late in September I can't say for sure. I know that by November 14th though they had things pretty much sorted out, other than they were still stamping the fender tags XS up until that day. Then the broadcast sheets didn't get the correct XX until November 20th of 1968. Some had it XX before then, but not all.

Mopurr

Agree with Gene on the 69 engine colors.

Our 69 is Aug 6, 68 and actually has the chrome shifter knob and if I remember right(even though we changed it not thinking about early production car at the time) had a 68 Fuel cap.

So I am not sure of the exact build dates of the cars used for the 500's but I could see small things making it through but not engine paint.....were 68 440's turq.?  I thought 440 had been orange until around 73

but just info from a girl  :shruggy:

moparstuart

My 69 charger has a 68 gas cap ? At what point/date did they stop useing them ? or has someone just changed mine ?
  My car has been through the ringer !
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69_500

I'm not positive on what date they stopped using the 68 gas cap. But as far as your car goes, it definately has been through the ringer though.  :slap:

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on February 26, 2008, 05:11:02 PM
I'm not positive on what date they stopped using the 68 gas cap. But as far as your car goes, it definately has been through the ringer though.  :slap:
wow thanks danny
  thats the only cinda cars i buy I love bringing them back from the dead

69_500

That was more of a half harded acknowledgement of what you already know about the car. I looked at that car pretty good when my sunroof car was over at Cudakens house for the short 2 months it was there. Not a bad car by any means, but he definately drove his cars. So can't be for sure what other parts he put on it, if it was nicer than what was on it when he got he car.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on February 26, 2008, 06:24:08 PM
That was more of a half harded acknowledgement of what you already know about the car. I looked at that car pretty good when my sunroof car was over at Cudakens house for the short 2 months it was there. Not a bad car by any means, but he definately drove his cars. So can't be for sure what other parts he put on it, if it was nicer than what was on it when he got he car.
yeah its not a cream puff but will make a decent car for my wife to drive !!!  And drive our cars we do !

69_500

Was the engine completed in your car when you bought it from Ken? The last time I had seen the engine it was on an engine stand in his shop. And I know he was trying to work a way to get the blower set up installed on the engine.

Troy

Not to mention that I have a crusty looking 69 gas cap that I got from Ken...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69_500

Oooooo, is that one of the items your trying to sell this weekend troy?

Troy

Quote from: 69_500 on February 27, 2008, 05:27:08 PM
Oooooo, is that one of the items your trying to sell this weekend troy?

Nope. It's probably not worth the energy to carry it in. Maybe if it were signed? Look in the classifieds for a list.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

XS29J8

Quote from: moparstuart on February 26, 2008, 04:54:34 PM
My 69 charger has a 68 gas cap ? At what point/date did they stop useing them ? or has someone just changed mine ?

Hi Moparstuart, I believe that 68 gas cap is possibly off of my 68 HEMI Charger. Ken needed one and I said he could use it while doing the body work on my car until he found a 69. See what the date code is, my build date is May 28th 1968, he may have used Dave Schultze's cap as he had a 68 Charger at Ken's house at the same time and all the gas caps were "lost" I then provided Dave with a used one I had. I never got my original back and did find a much nicer one at a swap meet. I would be very interested in retreiving it if and when you find a suitable 69 gas cap.

I wonder what happened to Ken? He was the master at instilling the MOPAR FIRE in several members. I drove his Charger before the blower escapade, glad it found a good home.

Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on February 27, 2008, 04:42:01 PM
Was the engine completed in your car when you bought it from Ken? The last time I had seen the engine it was on an engine stand in his shop. And I know he was trying to work a way to get the blower set up installed on the engine.

lonnie, moparhound on the board here bought it from ken less the motor . Ken had blown up the motor and i guess that and drinking /bad health killed his drive for cars?
  Lonnie had it for a year and then i bought it from lonnie who lives about a mile from me.  I just built a strong 440 for it with the demon six pac set up on top. It will soon be sent to larry ropers shop in arkansas for the wing and vega plug  installation.  Dont have the  funds right now for  a nosecone yet but i did just buy two rough original daytona fenders for it .

moparstuart

Quote from: XS29J8 on February 27, 2008, 07:28:48 PM

Hi Moparstuart, I believe that 68 gas cap is possibly off of my 68 HEMI Charger. Ken needed one and I said he could use it while doing the body work on my car until he found a 69. See what the date code is, my build date is May 28th 1968, he may have used Dave Schultze's cap as he had a 68 Charger at Ken's house at the same time and all the gas caps were "lost" I then provided Dave with a used one I had. I never got my original back and did find a much nicer one at a swap meet. I would be very interested in retreiving it if and when you find a suitable 69 gas cap.

I wonder what happened to Ken? He was the master at instilling the MOPAR FIRE in several members. I drove his Charger before the blower escapade, glad it found a good home.

Steve
i would gladly trade you for a nice 69 lettered cap , if you wanna look for one ?

XS29J8

Quote from: moparstuart on February 27, 2008, 09:53:18 PM
Quote from: XS29J8 on February 27, 2008, 07:28:48 PM

Steve
i would gladly trade you for a nice 69 lettered cap , if you wanna look for one ?

I'll keep an eye out for a decent 69 cap. Check the date codes if you get a chance, I"ll say it should be a Feb or first quarter of 68. THANKS! Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

moparstuart

where is the date code on these ?  do i need to remove the cap completely  ?
I have the car here at work so let me know i'll get you the number's off it ?

XS29J8

Quote from: moparstuart on February 28, 2008, 09:17:14 AM
  where is the date code on these ?  do i need to remove the cap completely  ?
I have the car here at work so let me know i'll get you the number's off it ?

I'm not sure where the date code is on the gas cap and trim ring. I will try to find out, I'm sure the cap and trim ring must come off. I was at the Florida Mopar Nationals and searching thru the swap meet which took 10 minutes resulted in no nice caps. I'll keep looking.

Steve