News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My new resto shop is officially complete.

Started by hotrod98, March 03, 2008, 07:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetfeetmi

I was curious as to why you chose steel frame instead of post (pole)?  I know steel is much better, but was it building codes or personal choice?  Very nice place.  Is the '71 'Cuda in your posession? Rick

daytonalo

I see a fan on ex stack , is there a fan pushing air in to give you positive pressure ??

Larry

hotrod98

Quote from: wetfeetmi on March 04, 2008, 06:29:35 PM
I was curious as to why you chose steel frame instead of post (pole)?  I know steel is much better, but was it building codes or personal choice?  Very nice place.  Is the '71 'Cuda in your posession? Rick

This is pretty much the norm in this area. This building has 8" thick floors, 2 ft thick in the lift area. 12' sidewalls, extra thick insualation (as much for summer sun as winter cold), three insulated 12' wide x 10' tall roll up doors, two walk thru doors, two windows in office area, large gutters and downspouts, 40' x 80' (3200 sq ft), plumbed for bathroom.
And total cost..................drum roll please.........$13.12 per sq foot. Total cost of building was 42k.
This is where a lot of the money from the sale of my 70 Chal convert hemi clone went to.

All 20 of my cars are in my possession. If you're referring to my real 71 cuda?  Yes, but unrestored. Been thinking about selling it. It's starting to be in the way. I need to store my 69 Charger in it's spot. I'm getting to the point that I can no longer keep all of them maintained.

Quote from: daytonalo on March 04, 2008, 07:10:13 PM
I see a fan on ex stack , is there a fan pushing air in to give you positive pressure ??

Larry

Larry, My new booth is not pressurized. The booth at the dealership was pressurized and had heat of course. I really didn't see much difference in air quality between it and the non-pressurized booths that I've used. The heat was nice, but at $60 per hour to run it, no way. It's usually around 70 degrees or warmer here most of the time except for Jan and Feb.
Most of the new clears dry just fine without heat and I find that they tend to buff easier when not force dried.
This booth can be altered for pressurization, but I didn't have them prep it for that.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

I know a guy who is going to make a pressurised downdraft booth , 32x13 ft

hotrod98

Our booth at the dealership was 16 x 32. The booth was so big that I could paint a car with the fenders, hood and deck lid on stands. I built roll around stands for the fenders that kept them upright so that the metallics would match properly. Worked every time. I kind of miss that booth.

Charles Addams

xs29j8Bullitt

Your shop looks fantastic!!!  I may talk to you about restoring one of my cars... I wish you were in the DFW area though.

Hmmmmm... :scratchchin: If you did my Superbird, would you really tell me when it was finished?  :icon_smile_wink:

Congrats, a great shop for a fair price... you did very well!  :cheers:

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hotrod98

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on March 05, 2008, 08:52:13 PM
Your shop looks fantastic!!! Hmmmmm... :scratchchin: If you did my Superbird, would you really tell me when it was finished?  :icon_smile_wink:

That's a lot of pressure to put on a winger.  :angel:

You're not all that far away. When I lived in Grand Prairie, I drove back and forth from there to Greenwood every weekend. About 300 miles.

Charles Addams

Old Moparz

Looks great, it's a very nice building.  :cheers: 

I can understand why you sold a car to do it. I'm thinking that way myself, selling that is, but mostly to do something on my house & to finally start work on my ragtop by next year.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 06, 2008, 10:29:35 AM
Looks great, it's a very nice building. :cheers:

I can understand why you sold a car to do it. I'm thinking that way myself, selling that is, but mostly to do something on my house & to finally start work on my ragtop by next year.

I told my wife way back when that all of these cars that I was buying were investments for the future. Now she's holding me to that.
Now, if I want to buy something, I have to sell something else first. Sounds like a plan...her plan.  :P

I don't really miss the convert that much. I would much rather have the new building. Besides, I got enough out of the convert to buy the building, booth, and lift with money left over for other toys.

Charles Addams

The70RT

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 06, 2008, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on March 06, 2008, 10:29:35 AM
Looks great, it's a very nice building. :cheers:

I told my wife way back when that all of these cars that I was buying were investments for the future. Now she's holding me to that.
Now, if I want to buy something, I have to sell something else first. Sounds like a plan...her plan.  :P

I don't really miss the convert that much. I would much rather have the new building. Besides, I got enough out of the convert to buy the building, booth, and lift with money left over for other toys.

Hell of a deal. Your Chally must have been top notch.  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hotrod98

My chal convert was a hemi clone that I built for my wife. After I finished it, she decided that she didn't really like driving convertibles. They're great if you live in southern california, but around here it's either too hot, too wet or too cold. Not enough perfect days to really enjoy it. She would rather drive her fuel injected 73 cuda.
Anyway, it was kind of a no brainer to sell the chal. I will admit that it was a blast to drive.

Charles Addams

PocketThunder

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 07, 2008, 10:21:39 AM
My chal convert was a hemi clone that I built for my wife. After I finished it, she decided that she didn't really like driving convertibles. They're great if you live in southern california, but around here it's either too hot, too wet or too cold. Not enough perfect days to really enjoy it. She would rather drive her fuel injected 73 cuda.
Anyway, it was kind of a no brainer to sell the chal. I will admit that it was a blast to drive.
Good God man that this is beautiful!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Howie

I`ll be glad when I get my wingcar ready to bring down and break in the paint booth wingcar style. :cheers:.

moparstuart

Quote from: Howie on March 07, 2008, 10:30:52 AM
I`ll be glad when I get my wingcar ready to bring down and break in the paint booth wingcar style. :cheers:.
yes yes yes
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Howie's seen my cars up close.
When you get down here next week Howie, we need to take a couple of my cars out and blow off the cobwebs.
I say we go over to your favorite Mexican restaurant. Which car are you going to drive? Don't say the 4 speed cuz I got dibs on that one.

Stuart...those pics will give you an idea of the type of work that you can expect on your car. ;D

Charles Addams

Howie

I`d say I`ll drive the lime green hotrod but I think your wife may have something to say about that one. She does have one sweet ride and I do really like that color. :icon_smile_big:. I can`t wait to see what her next ride is going to be :coolgleamA:.  Glad the booth is ready. Stuart better get on the ball otherwise I may have to bring down one of my cars! Ha Ha stuart I am not ready although I would like to be that far along on any of my projects.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: TomP on March 04, 2008, 10:33:30 AM
Is it possible to have shop envy? 
ABSOLUTELY!! :drool5: :icon_smile_big:

Great looking shop, nice projects too. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

nitrometal

Larry,  you have an awesome shop!   I am very jealous!!  I finally got me a new place that has a garage for the Petty 'bird and I feel like I'm left behind already!!!  And I hope that your wife feels better soon.  That's cool that she wants to work on cars.

Phil
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

hotrod98

Hey Phil, any chance of you making up to Branson in August for the three day show. It's a blast for the whole family. We go up on Thursday morning and it's non stop all weekend. The shows on the strip are great and there are cars everywhere. The only downside is that it's the same weekend as the Mopar Nats. We haven't been to the nats since 2003.
We usually take 2 to 4 cars up every year and the motel lets us park them out front. They hire a security guard to watch over them. Rooms are only $50 a night and it's right on the strip. If you're interested, I'll save a room for you. We reserve one side of the hotel for our group. Our only problem is not getting enough sleep. No one wants to call it a night since the cars keep running around until almost dawn. Would be great to have that bird sitting out front and cruising the strip all weekend. We talked Howie into going last year and I think he's already made plans to go again. It's addictive.

Charles Addams

Howie

They have changed monster mopar weekend. It is now a later date. Not sure if it is going back to the same weekend or not.

justin1987

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 09, 2008, 07:20:57 PM
Hey Phil, any chance of you making up to Branson in August for the three day show. It's a blast for the whole family. We go up on Thursday morning and it's non stop all weekend. The shows on the strip are great and there are cars everywhere. The only downside is that it's the same weekend as the Mopar Nats. We haven't been to the nats since 2003.
We usually take 2 to 4 cars up every year and the motel lets us park them out front. They hire a security guard to watch over them. Rooms are only $50 a night and it's right on the strip. If you're interested, I'll save a room for you. We reserve one side of the hotel for our group. Our only problem is not getting enough sleep. No one wants to call it a night since the cars keep running around until almost dawn. Would be great to have that bird sitting out front and cruising the strip all weekend. We talked Howie into going last year and I think he's already made plans to go again. It's addictive.

I went to the Branson show last year and it was a blast. I loved every minute of it. The cruise on Saturday night is a totally different experience. There were so many people there.

nitrometal

Hey Phil, any chance of you making up to Branson in August for the three day show.

I've never heard of that show in Branson.  I just went online and read up on it a little bit.  It's a 600 mile trip for me.  I may be up for it though if I can get some details from you.  PM me with your phone # and I'll give you a holler.

Anyone else going again this year?  Howie? Justin1987?
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

justin1987

Quote from: nitrometal on March 10, 2008, 04:56:35 PM
Anyone else going again this year?  Howie? Justin1987?

I'm going to try to make it. I've got an internship at GE in Kansas, so I'm going to see if I can leave my internship a week early so I can go.

justin1987

By the way, hotrod98, was that your green '73 cuda that was there last year? If so, you were the only one that beat me in my class.  :boxing_smiley:  :icon_smile_big: