News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What mufflers rock?

Started by CHARGIN68, October 09, 2005, 12:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARGIN68

I am upgrading my exhaust system with TTI headers and new mufflers.  I have a 68 charger with a 383 4bbl auto.  The car currently has Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers.  They sound great when I hit the gas but I'm going deaf driving around town. What mufflers provide the best performance and are quiet when cruising but still sound good under hard excelleration?  Also what size is good for the 383 2 1/2" or 3"?  Thanks for all your help. This car is really getting good.  :icon_smile_cool:

Wakko

Hooker Aerochambers aren't too loud, but I've never heard them on a big block.  Definitely go with the 2 1/2 exhaust or even 2 1/4.  You need backpressure to create torque and 3" is just way too big for a 383, IMO.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

TruckDriver

I love Dynomax mufflers. Click the link to hear them on a Challenger with TTI headers :yesnod:

http://www.moparsandcars.com/pipes.htm
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

Dynomax on mine.   I'm happy with the sound but you might hear it differently.

cudaken

OK, I am a old man, I like the Hemi mufflers with out the resatnatior (spell check) thingies.  I like to hear what some one is saying when they are in the Charger.

Have walker turbos on the 68 Runner and sound the same as the Hemi mufflers. Best yet not loud sounding muffler I have can not longer be bought from what I have been told. Walkers Red Lines on the 70 Cuda. Can hear when some one speak's to you in the car. Have a hollow sound much like a chambred 67 Z-28 but when you giver her some hell sound's great.

Deep dron base sound, well that will ware on a adult quick. When I was 17, well wood time.

Cuda Ken

Need loud, your not packing. ;)
I am back

CB

their advice:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

andy74

id stay with 2 1/2, the 3 inch are to loud and may cause you to lose power on the street.i had 3 inch pipes on my old z28,with a well built 383 chevy small block stroker-damn near had to wear ear plugs on the hiway,and made my low end power move up to far.i wish i had listened to the guys in my car club and gone with 2 1/4 or 2 1/2-would have made a difference.i run 2 1/2 on the charger,with thrush turbo mufflers-sounds pretty mellow cruising,and wakes up the neighborhood if i get on it

firefighter3931

:iagree: with Andy.... the 21/2 mandrel bent TTI system will be plenty. I luv the dynomax ultraflows, nice rumble at idle, no resonance and killer sound at wide open throttle   :devil: A true "flow through" design that won't slow your car down.   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

myk

Well, Ron convinced me to use Dynomax Ultra-flows for the sake of performance, and not sound.  I certainly wish that these Ultra-flows sounded like Flowmasters-I'm mostly deaf anyways so noise isn't a problem-but I'll take the performance over the "rice-rocket" effect anyday...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Just 6T9 CHGR

I am running www.accurateltd.com new high-flow Hemi muffler.   I had their original Hemi muffler on the car before I purchased a complete H-pipe system from them and I liked the sound.

The new high flow units are a chambered design over the old style's glass packed design.     They are a bit louder (which I wanted) and still offer no resonance.

Have the crushed corners as well if original looking is important to you as it is to me....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

deputycrawford

I hope I don't sound rude but I haven't heard anybody mention an "X" pipe. I replaced an "H" pipe to an "X" pipe with Ultra Flows on the car and found all the resonation went completely away. I mean my daughter and I had a conversation in the car with all the windows down at 70 M.P.H. An "X" pipe should make quite a bit of difference on any system.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

mbandit

1/78/ Hookers, 2 1/2 inch pipe, X pipe, Hooker aero chambers.  nice loud idle, no resonance, deep throaty sound when you floor it, not too loud when cruising.

Big Sugar

I'm Running a 440-6 in my 66 with a 3" "X" pipe setup and custom 3" mufflers from "Weldtech" To 2.5"
Tailpipes.

It's Quiet in the Charger till you mash the loud pedal. I used to run a 3" "H" pipr setup with a set of Flowmasters with turndowns..........Couldn't think over the resonation.

http://66-67charger.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Big-Sugars-Big-Sugar-%21%21/Moparfest_025.mov

http://66-67charger.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Big-Sugars-Big-Sugar-%21%21/Big_Sugar_035.avi

Check out the two videos

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

ChargerBill

X-pipes are supposed to have more than one positive effect:

1) Resonation will be greatly decreased

2) 15% to 20% increase in HP

Personally I don't think I would install a new exhaust system in ANY older high performance cars without including an X-pipe.

BTW: Dynomax Ultraflows are supposed to be superior to Flowmasters with respect to both performance and sound....you've made a great choice.
Life is a highway...

ChargerBill

BTW: Chargin68 and Big Sugar...you both made one MAJOR mistake in this thread that needs to be rectified... You didn't post enough pics of your cars! C'mon guys, get with it!! :icon_smile_big:
Life is a highway...

ron73440

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2005, 01:58:38 PM
Dynomax on mine.   I'm happy with the sound but you might hear it differently.
:iagree:
That's what I got on mine and they sound badass IMO
I LIKE BEER!!!
USMC

kamkuda

X pipe with Dynomax.  Here is mine on my 408 Cuda.  I have flowmasters as well, but  :icon_smile_dead:

kamkuda