News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Way Way off topic, venting. anyone else here fix gas pool heaters?

Started by dkn1997, July 26, 2005, 06:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Man, I just have to vent.

I just got promoted this year to service manager at a high end custom pool builder.  I was a field mechanic for 3 years at this place and had 12 years in the field at my previous job.

Once in a while, I still go out in the field to fix some things that my guys cannot.  I actually look forward to it.  Tonight, I get stuck going to the boss's brother's house for a heater problem.  I sent "bob" there 2x and he replaced just about everything in the heater.  Here is what I find:

Laars Lite, model LD250N

-Brand new ignition control
-fusible link (roll out sensor) totally disconnected with a redundent high limit put in it's place.(wtf???)
-new hot surface ignitor.

heater fires for about 30 seconds and shuts down.

I cleaned the burner tray and it fires right up and stays lit basically forever.  Are you F'ing kidding me?  this guy wastes at least $100.00 in parts and over 3 hours billable time and he could have taken about 15 minutes and solved it?

I must be the only boss in the world who actually has more tech knowledge and troubleshooting skills than the guys who work for him.  Every boss I ever had never knew what side of a screwdriver to use. 

I know, most of this post makes no sense unless you work on these for a living, or maybe some other type of gas appliance, but you get the idea.

:flame:
RECHRGED

tomonty

I have absolutely no idea what you just said....but it's ok. Vent Away!!! :icon_smile_big:
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger_Fan

On one hand, it does suck that you feel that you have to babysit situations like this...but on the other hand, it's job security.
If you left, those guys might have to start thinking for themselves! :eek:

A lot of diagnosing repairs (cars, heaters, toasters, whatever), involves a certain amount of common sense...some guys have it, some don't. No matter how much schooling an individual has, if he's lacking in common sense, he's just not going to be as effective at his trade.

Oh & FIRE HIS AZZ!! :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dkn1997

I would love to fire him, but I left out the best part.

HE IS THE BEST GUY I HAVE RIGHT NOW

charger fan hit it right on the head.  It sucks having to preside over this mess, but it is job security and I get to be "the man" again like I used to be when I was the "go to" guy in the field.

He is also right in saying that when it comes to troubleshooting, you either have it or you don't.  I believe now, more than ever, that training helps those with the gift, but is wasted on those who do not.  There are just some things you cannot teach.

Also, he is not a bad guy and he is willing to work long hours and he can do more than most of the others, but simple things he misses frustrate the hell out of me.  Part of it is that he is about 5 years older than me and I don't think he likes to admit that he knows less.  That stops him from asking me to help out when he gets stuck, so he bullshits his way through it.
RECHRGED

4cruzin

lol I fixed pool heaters for 6 years as a service man!  Sounds like he needs some additional training.   :icon_smile_big:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .