News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

parts needed to make a superbird?

Started by kddillinger, March 23, 2008, 02:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kddillinger

is there a company out there that makes an entire kit to do this conversion from a base model '70 plymouth satellite? If so, who? If not, what companies out there assit folks like myself interested in making my own clone from a base model satellite?

Zinc

You could try showcars if your budget is low, plan on a lot of "work", jenek repros, plus there was a kit on EBAY for $4500 I believe for a suberbird, if money is no object, and you want the best, then there's Dayclona, and Jeg McGauey, stinger only has a 1 pc wing for a bird the rest is daytona :Twocents:

hotrod98

That's complicated. There's no such thing as a complete kit. None of the companies selling superbird parts provide you with the parts needed to make the headlamps operate. The only company that sells a semi-complete kit is Janak. Most of the components are high quality fiberglass parts. Even the back glass plug is fiberglass. The back window is lexan and there are no back window moldings. You can step up to steel parts that are much better but cost quite a bit more as well.
Prices for the parts to convert the Satellite will run from around 8k for a cheap built, somewhat cheesy looking car to around 25k for the good stuff. The correct back window components alone will set you back $4500. These prices do not include labor, materials or refinishing.
Now, as for the other stuff. You'll need 70 coronet fenders and hood, a rallye dash, roadrunner taillights and a decent big block or hemi driveline.
I just priced a total build for a customer at 75k turnkey for a convincing superbird replica.
In my opinion, the daytona is a much easier build but with the high cost of 69 chargers and 70 charger front ends, the end cost would probably be about the same.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

oldcarnut

Hi, here's a link to another thread on this subject.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37866.0.html
Unless somebody comes up with a kit they want to sell in the next few days,  I'm just about ready to bite the bullet and order Ted Janaks kit.  Hopefully by the time it arrives I will have been able to get the RR into much better shape to start it. http://www.wingedwarriorbodyparts.com/  It's got more parts that I've been able to find togethor and seems to get pretty good reviews to use it.  I called about the $4500 one that was recently posted but it's my best guess that it was not Ted's so I didn't mess with it not knowing what I'd be getting into.   I haven't found much discussion on hoods but has anyone had any experiences with the complete fiberglass hoods avail. from some of the venders.  I saw one on a friends Bird and it seemed pretty strong and durable, Would sure save some hassle of hood extension assy.  Anyone here near SC with a set of fenders for sale?

Zinc

Hotrod, I think your mistaken, I've seen Daycloners cars at the Nationals, I seen them driving on Brice Rd, I personally seen them deminstate for the crowds of people looking at there cars that the lights work like originly,Jeg Mccaghey restore suberbirds back to original using his parts, I don't think he would not be able to offer the parts he does, and they wouldn't work!, the "kits" offered by jenek, stinger, and showcars are lacking in many ways, if you use the lesser made kits, you'll have a lot of work to make stuff fit, nevermind work!

hotrod98

Quote from: Zinc on March 23, 2008, 04:05:59 PM
Hotrod, I think your mistaken, I've seen Daycloners cars at the Nationals, I seen them driving on Brice Rd, I personally seen them deminstate for the crowds of people looking at there cars that the lights work like originly,Jeg Mccaghey restore suberbirds back to original using his parts, I don't think he would not be able to offer the parts he does, and they wouldn't work!, the "kits" offered by jenek, stinger, and showcars are lacking in many ways, if you use the lesser made kits, you'll have a lot of work to make stuff fit, nevermind work!

Call Jack and ask him if he offers a complete kit that anyone can pull out of the boxes, install and turn the headlamps on. If he tells you that he has such a kit that includes the switch, hoses, vacuum pods, etc, then and only then will I retract what I have said. I've talked to Jack several times and he has told me that he primarily deals with repairing original cars. I have enough parts in my shop to build at least one bird and a couple of daytonas and they sure as heck didn't come from a kit.  I've talked to all of these parts guys and know a couple of them personally. I've been gathering parts for two years from various suppliers. I'm telling you that no one...absolutely no one... sells a complete kit. It doesn't exist, never has and probably never will.
I will admit that not only have I not talked to "daycloners", but I have never heard of them. Have him call me with a price for his "complete" kit and I'll have him several customers calling him on Monday morning. I'm assuming that you're not referring to Mike Goyette at Dayclona. They don't have a complete working kit...that I'm sure of.

Here's your big chance, Zinc. Show us what you know about wingcars.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteI'm telling you that no one...absolutely no one... sells a complete kit 

:yesnod: nobody has a complete kit. just partial ones.
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

billssuperbird

my superbird clone is all janak kit. and it fit very good. 

oldcarnut

Quote from: billssuperbird on March 23, 2008, 06:50:46 PM
What did you use for the pillar trim?  I got to decide to make an order for the stainless ones tonight. 

kddillinger

what car did you start your clone with? 70 road runner?

thanks to everyone for your input.

Zinc

I'm assuming that you're not referring to Mike Goyette at Dayclona. They don't have a complete working kit...that I'm sure of.

Hotrod I 'm not looking to argure with you, but I emailed Mike at Dayclona, I asked him why he dosen't answer the post here, he said he's banned from here? he says he can read, but not respond, I asked him if he offeres a complete kit with working head lites, his response was : He's the only source for a fully functional headlite system, stock as originil or custom with electric motors choice is yours,he said new vacumm motors are available, and harneses, you supply a dash switch, if you can't find one, he'll get you one he said his repros light systems are exactly like stock an if anybody has questuions to email him,so this is what I did rather than guess at what everyone thinks is right, I'm waiting on Jack McGauhey to respond     Hotrod .Mike says to say Hello

So I might not be an exbert like you guys seem to be, but I do my homework when I have questions

hotrod98

I would rather leave the back glass stock than to use that fiberglass plug and lexan that Janek sells. It's the only real complaint that I have about Janek's stuff. That and the fact that he doesn't provide half of the stuff that you need to make the headlamps work. How did you set up the headlamps? Most of the guys either quit their projects at that point of just mount the headlamps solid in some fashion. I have a set of those small Grand Prix headlamp assemblies that I had considered mounting in the grille area if I continue the build on my wife's bird clone. I'm saving the good headlamp parts for the daytona clone.
We've got the bird clone project on hold since we're negotiating to buy a couple of nice Roadrunners.

Charles Addams

Zinc

I'm assuming that you're not referring to Mike Goyette at Dayclona. They don't have a complete working kit...that I'm sure of.

Hotrod,Daycloer sent me an attachment,Ill post it

BigBlockSam

QuoteHe's the only source for a fully functional headlite system, stock as originil or custom with electric motors choice is yours,he said new vacumm motors are available, and harneses, you supply a dash switch, if you can't find one, he'll get you one he said his repros light systems are exactly like stock   

whats the full cost of that, complete. i'm curious to know . thanks

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Zinc

Dude have YOUR secertary call them to find out! :nana:

BigBlockSam

Quote  I do my homework when I have questions 

if you ask any vendors if they sell a complete kit they will say yes.  if you really want to know  what kits are good talk to the people who've used the parts. they'll tell you what the truth.

Zinc

hey Zinc, show me a dayclona done Daytona charger with working headlights . . Now go do your homework. Rene   :nana:

I thought I just posted a pic, or are you blind as well as ignorant? :pity:

BigBlockSam

QuoteI thought I just posted a pic, or are you blind as well as ignorant?   

:

A383Wing

Zinc

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 23, 2008, 10:16:07 PM
QuoteI thought I just posted a pic, or are you blind as well as ignorant?   

yo jerk off, thats a superbird with out a rear plug . so stop being ignorant and i'll learn you something. daytona charger , starts out with a charger body. now go do your homework   :smilielol:  :nana:

Wow! you are ignorant, that pic is a Daytona Charger!maybe you should put the crack pipe down, the smoke is blurring your vison!

BigBlockSam

oops your rite . i gotta put the crack pipe down for a bit.

ignorant , is not the right word maybe just burn't and i know you wouldn't call me that face to face. now would ya , now go do your homework   :nana:

Zinc

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 23, 2008, 10:27:20 PM
oops your rite . i gotta put the crack pipe down for a bit.

ignorant , is not the right word maybe just burn't and i know you wouldn't call me that face to face. now would ya , now go do your homework   :nana:

Generaly I'm a nice guy until?      at 6'4" 290lbs I usally do say things to the tops of people heads! :nana: no hard feelings! and if you want a group hug, go see ya buddy Daytonalow :nana:

hotrod98

Zinc, we've been dealing with these vendors for years and not one of them has yet to provide a complete kit.
Like Rene said, these guys will tell you that they have a complete kit. The only thing that I can think of is they want to sell you parts and know that you won't find out that it's not complete until after your check has cleared the bank.
Mike at Dayclona builds some of the nicest parts ever offered. But, unless things have changed, I don't think you can call him, order a kit and have it sitting on your porch any time soon. I've talked with Jack McGaughey a few times, and he's never mentioned offering a kit.
The closest we've come to being able to order a working daytona nose is back when daytonalo thought about offering them last year. I really wanted him to do that. He's a pretty good designer/engineer and his stuff looks like it would work and continue to work well, unlike some of the fiberglass stuff that eventually falls apart.
Now, the downside is this nose assembly is going to cost more than most people will ever be able to afford for a clone. If they want to save money they can buy the partial kits and then re-sell them as soon as they realize that they're in over their heads. I myself realized that it wasn't going to be easy as soon as I placed Howie's nose on his car in 2006. The parts need major re-engineering just to fit, let alone work.
If daycloner offers these kits, then lets see them and get some prices.
Heck, I'll buy his complete working kit and abandon my idea of building one altogether...gladly. I'll take one daytona and one superbird kit.
At this time, you're best option is to buy individual parts from various suppliers to get the stuff that's right for you. I would buy pieces from Mike at Dayclona, Jack McGaughey at Wingcarfab, Gean Gregory, Erik Nelson, Dane Gjesdal, Daytonalo and use my wing braces that I build. Then you would have the perfect kit. Of course the final cost will be around 20k, but it will be the best of the best. In fact, I will be doing this exact thing later this year for a customer who wants only the best stuff on his daytona clone. The cost will be approximately the same for a bird clone.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Quoteat 6'4" 290lbs I usally do say things to the tops of people heads!   

yea ,  us big guys should respect each other then

now go do your homework .  :cheers: :nana:

hotrod98

Answer me this. Are you referring to Dayclona and daycloner as being the same people? You're confusing me. I thought daycloner was some new guy that you had discovered.
Why do the new guys always think that they're bringing new information to the board? We know thes guys, we know their parts, we've had this discussion over and over and over.
Rene, this guy sounds like he's a lot smaller than you.  ;D

Charles Addams