News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ron, finally got my parts!

Started by steves66, October 11, 2005, 04:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steves66

Got my parts yesterday. The custom pistons took 5 weeks to make! :o Waiting on my heads, carb, intake, headers and some other stuff. Going to take some of this stuff to the machine shop today so they can start decking the block to zero.

firefighter3931

Looks like Christmas morning   :icon_smile_big: The pistons were worth the wait....trust me, you'll be very pleased with the results, especially when you can run this beast on pump gas   :yesnod: Looking forward to this build....any plans to dyno the engine Steve ?   :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

steves66

It did seem like Christmas morning. I was as excited as a little boy in a toy store! :icon_smile_big: Yes I will have it on the dyno as soon as I get her together. I'll keep you posted. I ordered the e-heads from a speed shop that is doing a stage II port/polish on them and installing better springs, studs, locks, etc... from comp.
I have been hearing some different things on the piston rings I bought. I was told that you have to upgrade the valve seals to accomodate for the zero gap rings because they tend to seal too good and pull the oil by the seals and cause the car to smoke a lot. I didn't think you could get a ring to seal too good! ??? What do you think about the ZGS rings?

firefighter3931

Haven't heard too much on the zero gap rings. I prefer the chrome moly file to fit rings personally. I remember reading that the zero-gaps were prone to smoking out the tailpipe....not sure why that is. Fwiw, the stock e-head springs/retainers and locks would be fine with the cam i recommended. Looking forward to some dyno data from this combo....should be a nice flat torque curve.   :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

morepower

The dish piston tells me that you are building a stroker motor..perhaps a 496 setup? I used ross pistons in mine but of course my car still isnt done so the motor is still on the stand
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Runner

wow, that looks like a big old pile of fun!  heck i woulda been so excited i might have peed my pants :icon_smile_big:

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

steves66

morepower, yes it is a 496 stroker motor. I am in the process of putting mine back together now. My plans are putting the motor in last. It shouldn't be too much longer. It's been 3 long years.
Runner, so far it's been a big 'ol pile of fun, expensive fun, but still fun! I wouldn't going to mention peeing my pants, but since you already did, yes I did pee my pants! ;D

firefighter3931

Steve P.

My computer table is a bit unstable right now..... ;D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Silver R/T

send all those extra parts over here
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

morepower

you would think that piston wouldnt have to be customed made anymore bein that they made em for me and hundreds of others over he years..i waited 8 weeks for mine tho!
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

kamkuda

Thats a nice looking pile of parts ;D
You have a very nice build ahead.

Chryco Psycho

Ricardo

Any update in your engine rebuilt?.

steves66

Quote from: Ricardo on February 25, 2006, 11:28:04 AM
Any update in your engine rebuilt?.
The motor is in the car and I have been trying to button up a few things. Now I am waiting on a converter from J&W. This makes the second go around on the converter. The first one was wrong! :flame: Hopefully I will be firing this beast up in the next couple of weekends.

bull

Hey, there's a crack in that piston.

Just kidding. ;D

Johnny SixPack

Woo-hoo!

Can't wait to hear the results, Steve.

My 496 should be ready for break-in next week.

Just had some problems with finding the correct balancer, and now waiting for the money to purchase the exhaust.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

firefighter3931

Great news for both of you....some big cube combos coming together....i luv it !!!!  :devil: You guys are obligated under the DC.com contract to post video once these monsters are up and running !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron