News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 headlight doors

Started by moparchris, April 01, 2008, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparchris

Just finished a 4 year resto on my 68 Hemi Charger and started it for the first time on Sunday.  Problem is: As soon as the motor starts the headlight doors both flip up.  Headlight switch is not on.  Do I have the vacuum line routing wrong?  Three vacuum lines exit the bulkhead, one goes to the vacuum canister and two go to the doors, do I have the wrong hose on the vacuum canister?  The service manual does not specify which hoses go where it only shows a general routing illustration.  Any one got an answer?

70Sbird

Try swapping the vacuum lines on the door actuators. Vacuum opens the door with the dash switch in the on position, and vacuum holds the door shut with the switch off. The actuator has vacuum connections on the front (rod end) and the rear. Just swap positions of those two lines and you will probably solve your problem

Scott Faulkner

resq302

You might have the two lines that connect to the "t" fitting near the rad support reversed.  That is exactly what would happen if they were reversed.  If you turn your headlights on, does the doors go down?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

moparchris

Thanks guys.  I will try this.