News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bench Testing a Fuel Gauge

Started by BlueSS454, April 02, 2008, 09:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

I'm still having a hard time getting the fuel gauge to read in the Charger.  There is continuity in the main power line back to the sender, and it is properly grounded, still not reading at all.  I have another gauge in a spare cluster, is there a way to bench test the gauge itself to see if it's working?  I'm trying to isolate if the gauge itself is bad, or there is some faulty wiring in the dash harness, which really wouldn't suprise me.  Same thing with the oil pressure gauge.  I installed a new sender, still doesn't read.  I know the IVR is good, the temp and amp gauges work fine.
Tom Rightler

Plumcrazy

Just connect the two terminals to a 9v battery, but only for a second or two !

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

BlueSS454

I took a fuel gauge out of one of my parts dashes.  I hooked it up to the battery charger and set it to 6 volts.  This gauge works  :2thumbs:.  I also pulled the dash out of the car and checked the continuity from where the harness plugs into the dash all the way back to where it plugs into the sending unit, all is good.  If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.
Tom Rightler

resq302

Glad to hear that you have a possible working fuel gauge soon Tom.  :2thumbs: Keep us posted.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BlueSS454

Success  :2thumbs:.   I swapped out the gauge that was in the car for the one I pulled out of the parts dash, I know know how much gas is in the car.....NONE  :o.  Now I go on to the pesky oil pressure gauge and also figure out why now the dash lights are out and the horn stopped working  :shruggy:.  FIx one problem gain a new one   ::)
Tom Rightler

resq302

Quote from: BlueSS454 on April 09, 2008, 07:51:43 PM
Success  :2thumbs:.   I swapped out the gauge that was in the car for the one I pulled out of the parts dash, I know know how much gas is in the car.....NONE  :o.  Now I go on to the pesky oil pressure gauge and also figure out why now the dash lights are out and the horn stopped working  :shruggy:.  FIx one problem gain a new one   ::)

ha ha.  I thought it was fix one problem, have 3 more come up.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto