News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 - would you add stock A/C or go aftermarket?

Started by PocketThunder, April 03, 2008, 11:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

I just finished installing Classic Auto Air's A/C system in my 68 and its geting freon charged up today.  I am going to have A/C in my C500 also so my spouse and kids will be more comfortable on hot summer days in Minnesota.  (we have two seasons here, winter and road contruction.)  I have a 69 SE parts car that i could use the firewall out of for the C500, along with other stock A/C parts.  So if i decide that i want a stock looking A/C system in the C500, i need to put that firewall in now.  If i want to use Classic Auto Air's system again then i dont have to do anything. 

What do you guys think would be a better fit for my C500?   :shruggy:

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

If you put a 5-speed in it then it's not going to look correct any way. I wouldn't spend all that effort swapping firewalls - plus it's harder to reverse (just in case you ever decide to). From everything I've read, the Classic Auto Air system is an easy install and works well. The factory stuff isn't all that great any way.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparchris

I kind of agree.  I wouldn't go through the hassle of replacing the firewall, plus it would be a ton of work to return it back to stock if you ever decide to sell it.  I would go the aftermarket route and try to be be very creative with hose routing and such.  Just my  :Twocents:
Good luck

moparstuart

I would also agree , I did the stock style convertion in my convertible and yes it looks nice . But it was a pain and not cheap!  go with the classic air if i do it again I will  :Twocents: :Twocents: 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

69_500

I vote along the same lines as the others so far. Aftermarket. If your going to add the 5 speed already, why not just tack on a little under dash A/C unit. Rather than cutting out and replacing the firewall.

UFO

Why not wait and spend a little time with the '68 and see if the a/c works to your satisfaction.

als500

Paul,

The aftermarket is the only way to go at this point because its sounds like you already made some modification to the C500. Make the car the way you want, so you can enjoy it with your family. Trust me its a bear cruising without A/C here in Florida in July and my wife and kids refuse to get in the car in the summer , but hey going by the beach in the C500 by myself attracts a lot of girls in bikinis. :icon_smile_cool:

PocketThunder

Quote from: als500 on April 03, 2008, 06:27:46 PM
Paul,

The aftermarket is the only way to go at this point because its sounds like you already made some modification to the C500. Make the car the way you want, so you can enjoy it with your family. Trust me its a bear cruising without A/C here in Florida in July and my wife and kids refuse to get in the car in the summer , but hey going by the beach in the C500 by myself attracts a lot of girls in bikinis. :icon_smile_cool:

Girls in bikinis?  :drool5:  that sounds good at first, but that might have less than favorable consequences when i get home..  :icon_smile_big:

General_01

Aftermarket dude. :2thumbs: I am going to do this in the Bee too. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

als500

You can look but don't touch, that what my wife said.. :icon_smile_cool: :slap:

A383Wing

Here is what your firewall will look like if you go the OE route and decide to go back to stock.....go the aftermarket version.

Bryan

A383Wing

2 more....

Bryan

69bronzeT5

Go aftermarket Paul :Twocents: Way easier to install and you dont have to switch firewalls
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

moparstuart

or you could do all this work like me . It's super nice now but lots of time and work .   

moparstuart

:slap:  here is the staight axel again for you paul