News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

THINKING OF LOOKING FOR A NEW DEALERSHIP TO WORK FOR

Started by andy74, October 11, 2005, 06:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

i have been at this same local dodge dealer for going on 5 years.never been a terrible place to work,but has always been trying on my patience due to the amount of very useless family members involved in day to day operations.the general manager who has been telling me for 3 years that he is retiring (and is the owners uncle)is still here.i have been promised the job for 3 years,and now do 90% of his work,and recieve little extra compensation for it.our body shop manager quit 2 months ago,and i took on the responsiblity of loaner/rental cars in his place,also with no extra cash.
                    now,i am usually not one tocomplain much,but the icing on the cake,this fucker is going to florida for 3 weeks leaving next week,then leaving again in january for 3 months.i do all the finance at our store,apraise 3/4 of the trades,keep track of new and used car inventory and schedule/write all the advertising!!
                   my boss and ii are going to sit down and discuss my feelings tommorow morning,and i have this feeling in my guts that he will not due anything,or maybe offer me a small pay bump.i feel that a 4-5 hundred dollar a wek raise is in order,should i stand my ground,or look else where? the situation is getting where it is causing me troulble at home,and i dont want to lose my wife and kids over this,but i also need to work.sorry about the long rant and rave,but i needed to get this off my chest,and you people here always seem to listen,at least i pretend you do!!
                                                                                        feeling pretty bad,and ready for a beer-andy

golden73

If he can't give you the raise you deserve, then I would say its time to find a new job.

Hope things work out for ya...

BigBlackDodge

Are other dealers hiring, do you have any feelers out there? You don't want to shoot yourself in the foot. I worked for several years at a building supply, familiy owned. You will not get anywhere when daughters, sisters, sons etc....all work there too. A Family is going to take care of it's own first in business. Blood is thicker than water they say.

BBD

Chris G.

Andy, do you realize that you curse in every single post you make? Did your screen name used to be 'Charged'?   :icon_smile_wink:

I would say asking for 3 to 4 hundred more a week sounds like alot. How much do finance guys make a year? Dayumm.

The bottom line is that money won't buy you happiness at that job. Sure they can give you a few more bucks, but in a few months, the problems will supersede that money. Your situation sounds alot like mine. I get added responsibilities dumped on me all the time, and I usually take it up the arse and live with it. I have recently been hinting at my boss that enough is enough. We'll see what happens.

If I were you, I wouldn't give them an ultimatum. I would kindly explain your situation and at the same time start looking around at other possibilities. In other words, don't burn any bridges. :Twocents:

andy74

the family here is the owners mother,2 uncles,aunt,and one very useless service manager,who plays the race card evry chance he gets -and i am going to work on the cursing part-its hard for me

andy74

i am limited on the amount of money i make by the owner and my consiense.my base salary is 300 a week,plus commision on what ever cars i sell,and usually average 50-100 bucks per car that i finance.with the fact that i sold almost 200 cars last year,and did the paper work on another 100-150,i made almost 75 grand.this year,with the added responsibility,i havent been selling as many,so i have only made 40 gross for the year,which means i have took home about 28.not much when you have 4 more mouths to feed,besides myself,a house payment,car payment,health insurance etc.im not crying the blues,just feeling down in the dumps right now

Steve P.

It's easy for those of us that don't depend on you for a roof and food to answer your question.. It's another if we're at your diner table..

You must be at a very small dealership if you are wearing that many hats!! I would tend to agree that until Uncle Milty dies, he will hold the job.. The more work you do for him the less reason he has to want to leave..

Put your feelers out there on the cuff.. Talk to the boss and show him you are worth making happy.. Go in with a clear head and know exactly what you're going to say and how you're going to say it..   Then go was his car and walk his dog...   Just kidding.. Make your case and if the place and the boss has any class and business sense maybe you will be seeing a fat pay check..

Good luck Andy...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

NHCharger

I agree with BBD and Burnt. Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Ask for a fair raise based on the amount of work you do. Start looking for another job.  The family is ALWAYS going to put themselves first, no matter what they tell you. Start putting feelers out there and try to wait for a better opportunity to appear
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger Aficionado

Make sure to look for the new job WELL In advance.  TRUST ME, you do not want to be jobless for ANY period of time. 

I do AGREE with you that you need to start a shift.  You deserve more money if that is the situation.

Brock Samson

Sounds pretty awfull, A little leverage in the form of an offer from another Party, would carry some weight...
Good luck with that Andy..

Vainglory, Esq.

Finance guys and managers tend to make quite a good bit of money.  I say if you're not getting compensated the way you feel you ought to be you should explore other options.  Let your boss know that you will, and if he values you like he should value a 75k salesman, he'll up your money.

Just make sure that when you sit down to talk with him, you're not just airing a bunch of dirty laundry, especially given that some of the people you have grudges against are his family members (and you can't compete with that!).  Pose your problem in a constructive way and make sure that you let him know that your solution will be MUTUALLY beneficial.  He's running a business and has to understand that he's getting something in return for extra compensation for you.

Daytona R/T SE

You're under appreciated, time to develop a sudden illness and call in sick for a few days.  Might be an eye opener for the boss :devil:

Chargerguy74

Quote from: Steve P. on October 11, 2005, 07:03:40 PM
I would tend to agree that until Uncle Milty dies, he will hold the job..

Andy, it's clear what must be done here.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Chargerguy74

WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 11, 2005, 10:04:24 PM
You're under appreciated, time to develop a sudden illness and call in sick for a few days. Might be an eye opener for the boss :devil:
DUDE.  That is pretty sly...   Moreover, I do firmly believe you should not ask for a raise.  I believe the ONLY problem is that you are being made to do TOO Many other things that inhibit you making money.  Grated you are helping make the dealership money, it is cutting into your closings...  You need to just straight-up tell them you are not making enough money messing-around with the other stuff.  Tell them you will have to start looking for other options.  Maybe telling them this after a 2day absence would let them see how much you really do around there.

4402tuff4u

I agree with Burnt. Employers do not like ultimatums. Once you do that, you will bring ego's into the picture - not a good idea! Think about it. Who really likes to be told "either do this or else" - no one does! So, just respectfully put your cards on the table, thank them for the job but make clear that you are having a hard time making ends meet. Tell them that work and responsibility at the dealership does not scare you, but not being able to meet your financial obligations and responsibilities at home are very stressful. Also mentioned that you would like to have some sense of security and future with the dealership and take upon more of a manager role. Tell them exactly what you are looking for and where you want to be say a year from now. Dont assume anything - people can't read minds.

The last thing you do not want to do is make them aware that you are looking for a better job. Keep feelers out and go on interviews without them knowing. Becareful, believe it or not, car dealers talk to each other about employees so be aware!   Lastly, don't go angry when you have your talk with them - it will just hurt you. Best of luck!
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

andy74

thanks for the replies guys,i really appreciate it.the owner called me on my cell this morning when i was on my way in,wanted to know why i needed to meet with him.i told him i needed to talk face to face,and i would be in about 9 am.he said he has a meeting,but will be back about 2,and we can sit down and talk then.when i got to the dealership,2 of the salesman asked me if i was leaving,that the boss was freaking! he told them that he was going to talk me out of going anywhere,and NEEDS me to stay.i am not going to get cocky,and i just need to be paid fairly for what i do here.wish me luck!

look a post with no curse words-getting better,andy

Steve P.

Now you know you went back and removed an f-bomb or two!!  Hehe.....

Good luck man... Keep us informed...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

andy74

the funny thing is i never once said anything about leaving,maybe he just feels guilty?or he realizes that i have been getting shafted,and is going to make it right.ill let ya know

BrianShaughnessy

Hope it all works out for ya!   Being the outsider in a family business sucks.   I used to be that outsider way back when...  Lisa is now. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

ramit

WOW, That is 4 posts in a row with no cursing. :o  I had noticed that you cursed in every post but since it didn't offend me I thought I would keep my mouth shut.  It is nice to see you posting without cursing everytime.  Good luck with the job, I worked at a car dealer for 8 years and I know how bad it sucks some times.

Steve P.

Yup, he works at a car dealer and we expect him to have nice flowery things to say!!!  Hahaha.. Then we woke up!!!!!!!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

CB

I must say that 4402tuff4u tells wise words.

Keep us updated on this matter, Andy!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

andy74

Quote from: Steve P. on October 12, 2005, 02:46:56 PM
Yup, he works at a car dealer and we expect him to have nice flowery things to say!!!   Hahaha.. Then we woke up!!!!!!!!
ha- i do talk like that most of the time,but have been trying to watch my mouth ,dont wantthe babies first word to be f###!
     had our meeting,the boss agrees that i have been took advantage of.he gave me 1000 bonus,and agreed to pay me an extra 200 weekly,plus a demo,and 30bucks worth of gas a week.also i will get paid 10 dollars a car that gets sold,no matter who sells it,which should equal about an extra 4-5 hunderd a month.i asked him if he could have some one help me with the advertising,and appraisals,and the loaner/rental cars-he has the nimrod service manager takeing care of rentals,and he agreed to help me out.

now i feel better,and have a reason for that beer-a very happy Andy

Steve P.

That's great Andy... Now let's keep an eye out for a while, for that rusty family knife... If all goes well when Uncle Milty gets back from Miami, you should be all set..

Congrats brother..  And sorry you only got a $30.00 gas ticket.. Now you'll have to drive a 4 banger to work...  Hahaha.........

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

chargermick

It sounds like you did alright with the negotiations, and your boss seems to know how valuable you are to him. Congratulations! Things like this don't always turn out this well.

Vainglory, Esq.

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

FastbackJon

Hey Andy, go rent that movie "Suckers" if you haven't seen it. I saw it on the independent film channel I think, or maybe Sundance, anyway, it is about guys working at a car dealership and what happens to them. I've never worked at one and thought it was funny, but someone who works at one will probably find it hilarious.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Brock Samson

Telvis

RD

good show andy, glad to hear everything worked out for you.  btw, did you get those w/wipers yet?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

4402tuff4u

"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

andy74

thanks everybody, for the encouragement,and for listening when i was whining like a little bitch!
       all seems to have worked out well,which is what i wanted in the first place,and when ass hole uncle either kicks off or retires,at least i know i have the spot.

hey rd, i just got the wipers last night,send your money out in the am,thanks again!

CB

great news ANdy
I am happy for you it worked out the best way.
Congrats!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

ramit

Sounds like a goood deal.  The extra money and a free demo will at least ease the pain when your job is really pissing you off. :yesnod:

Silver R/T

ya tell him youre quitting and he should get some extra money for you...if not just find another place
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

01CHARGER

HEY ANDY, I THINK YOU SHOULD KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR ANOTHER DEALERSHIP. I AM CURENTLY A FINANCE MANAGER AT A TOYOTA DEALERSHIP AND THAT IS ALL I DO IS FINANCE, WE SELL ABOUT 200 CARS A MONTH AND I HAVE A PARTNER SO THAT MEANS IF I DO 100 FINANCE DEALS A MONTH THAT IS ALOT AS LONG AS IM AT $800 DOLLARS A COPY ON THE BACK END EVERY THING IS A BREEZE. THIS YEAR I WILL CLEAR 120K. DONT SETTLE! KEEP AN EYE OUT

Silver R/T

Quote from: andy74 on October 12, 2005, 06:43:05 PM
Quote from: Steve P. on October 12, 2005, 02:46:56 PM
Yup, he works at a car dealer and we expect him to have nice flowery things to say!!!═ Hahaha.. Then we woke up!!!!!!!!
ha- i do talk like that most of the time,but have been trying to watch my mouth ,dont wantthe babies first word to be f###!
had our meeting,the boss agrees that i have been took advantage of.he gave me 1000 bonus,and agreed to pay me an extra 200 weekly,plus a demo,and 30bucks worth of gas a week.also i will get paid 10 dollars a car that gets sold,no matter who sells it,which should equal about an extra 4-5 hunderd a month.i asked him if he could have some one help me with the advertising,and appraisals,and the loaner/rental cars-he has the nimrod service manager takeing care of rentals,and he agreed to help me out.

now i feel better,and have a reason for that beer-a very happy Andy

sounds nice, hook me up man
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722