News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANOTHER 318 to 440 Question!!!

Started by Charger71, October 11, 2005, 10:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger71

Before everyone gets too angry...   I did read the previous posts on this topic.   I have had most of my questions answered.   As usual, you folks are very helpful.

Here is my situation.   I am about to buy a 440 and tranny to put into my 1967 Coronet.   I am aware of the other posts and questions, but can I use the driveshaft from the 1968 Chrysler Newport Wagon donor car?  The other posts indicate that I would need to shorten the shaft by about 4 inches.   Would the donor car's driveshaft work on my swap?   I intend on getting as much as I can from the donor, including radiator and such.

Whaddya think??

Thanks a heap,

Charger71

cudaken

I don't think it will. Is the wheel base the same as your 67? Measure the donor shaft and I will measure the one in my Charger and see if they are the same but I don't think so.

Cuda Ken
I am back

max

i couldn't tell from reading your post if the 1967 coronet still has the engine and trans in it.

it is possible that the coronet might have a small block 727 trans behind the 318. now if that is the case then all you need to do is bolt the 1968 440 and trans in place and use the drive shaft that is already in the car.

i have owned 2) 1967 coronets and both were 318 cars and both had 727 trans in them. one was a 4 door that had never been touched and the other was a 2 door and was believed to have had 67k actual miles on it and never touched.

Ghoste

I'm all for getting what you can from the donor, but if ti were me, I'd get a new driveshaft cut with new u-joints.  If it does fit, and I'd be surprised if it did, make sure it is straight before putting it in.  Seems obvious but it's amazing how often it's overlooked.

Charger71

The318 engine and tranny are in my car.  The tranny is a 904.  I have the factory 8 3/4 rear with 2.94 gears.  I have a another pumkin with 3.23 gears.  I have even aquired a sure-grip differential over the years. ( A guy I know went to the dark side. You know, f**d.)

I plan on running the bored out 318 until I get my "new" engine ready.

Thanks for the advice about measuring the driveshaft.  I probably would have thought about it too late :-\

Thanks again for the help.

I'm pretty stoked about this project.  I will check prior posts before I ask too many questions. :yesnod:

Thanks.

Charger71

Charger71

Remember I was going to get a 440 engine and tranny???   The guy welched on the deal.  He said, " I got this old boy who wants to make him a demolition derby car..."   "I ain't ready to sell you the motor today"

I looked around some more, but decided I'll find another deal.  Needless to say,  I was bummed out.

No motor, no project... :rotz:

Oh well, next time.

Charger71

RD

where are you located?  I have a 440, email me if you are close to kansas or do not mind shipping costs hehe racedodge at hotmail dot com
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

max

Quote from: Charger71 on October 18, 2005, 10:52:34 PM
Remember I was going to get a 440 engine and tranny???     The guy welched on the deal.   He said, " I got this old boy who wants to make him a demolition derby car..."     "I ain't ready to sell you the motor today"

not much of a fellow for his word if he did you that way.

Charger71

Thanks RD...    I'm in Montana.   I think I'm going to keep looking around here, though.  If I found one motor, I'll find another deal.

I am going to look at one this weekend.   

Thanks again all,

Charger71

RD

get with moparguy01, he is in north dakota and has a couple 440's methinks
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

'CUDA360

Quote from: Charger71 on October 18, 2005, 10:52:34 PM
Remember I was going to get a 440 engine and tranny???     The guy welched on the deal.   He said, " I got this old boy who wants to make him a demolition derby car..."     "I ain't ready to sell you the motor today"

I hate it when that happens   :flame:

Still, the way he said it implys that the engine and trans will be available after he crashes it 10 times.

I don't think I would buy that one after the abuse