News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

REMOVAL OF 70 GAUGE CLUSTER

Started by TripleBlackGator, April 12, 2008, 08:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleBlackGator

Short and sweet guys. The steering column is out and it has the woodgrain dash. Next?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

bill440rt

Column out?? It's VERY easy now!

See those Phillips screws on the face of the dash? Unscrew 'em, & gently pull the cluster toward you. Tilt it a little bit to gain access to the backside, & then start disconnecting the wires to each of the gauges & controls. They pretty much only go on one way, but you can still label them to make it easier when you reassemble it.

The woodgrain faceplate is actually attached to a chrome plated plastic backing (it's just the regular black/chrome faceplate with slots in it for the woodgrain metal applique). This faceplate is held onto the gauge cluster by speednuts on the backside. Unscrew the speednuts, & the cluster faceplate will come off. Then, you can bend the metal tabs to remove the woodgrain applique.

That's it, really. Of course, ALL of this could have answered very easily if you had a FSM...  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on April 12, 2008, 02:35:19 PM

That's it, really. Of course, ALL of this could have answered very easily if you had a FSM...  :scratchchin:

I concur.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TripleBlackGator

If FSM means Factory Service Manual then I do have one of those. It's just in a box somewhere. I do appreciate the detailed information though.  :2thumbs:
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Ghoste

That is exactly what it means and it could be one of your best friends right now if you find that box and get it out.  ;)

UFO

Remove radio plate first.There is a lip on gauge cluster that goes behind the radio plate.

TripleBlackGator

Well I found the box and I looked through the manual and I did NOT find anywhere that details removal of the gause cluster. We are talking about the big purple manual aren't we? Looking at my dash I figured on the removal of 5 phillips head screws and the need to remove the radio faceplate. What about the black lower part of the dash? The part that goes around the steering column. Should that be removed as well before the cluster?

UFO

Most of the time it's not necessary to remove lower pads.If you to lower them a little there is a couple nuts holding them on.There is some adjustment room to play with.